• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Tournament Changes (post-release)

Lovec Krys

@Indianaking The question is: Is your primary goal tournaments or to get to the end (either because you have never been at the end of tech tree yet, or you play for rankings).
The first time I hit the end of tech tree with my main city was Amuni (if I remember correctly), since then I'm having researching pauses between chapters when I'm using all my KPs only for wonders.
I have been twice or maybe three times the first in tourney, long term in top 10/20 (before the new tourneys).
So my only remaining goal is to move up in the ranking. If I want to move up in the ranking, I have no choice, but to progress and go through every new chapter and watch my tourneys & Spires getting more and more expensive.

edeba

Which AWs do you think should be excluded from any increased playing costs because they can't possibly make up their value? For sure the Enar. And which if included should be discounted in the cost, like half the cost compared to others?

It really seems to me that the first 5 levels on all AW should not be counted because you have to have space for it, so there is an immediate opportunity cost for placing any AW and before this change I thought it foolish to ever have more then 1 AW below level 6, so if you had a list of AWs you wanted to place, place them one at a time and get them to at least level 6 and use the space for something else until then. Now, you've got extra cost for the expansion and for placing an AW that doesn't yet justify its use of space.

Deleted User - 89361

In live we are having a hard time this Planks week. I think it is obvious to say that it is the most difficult tournament in the T1 provinces, which was to be expected since 50% of the enemies are archers. But what we didn't expect was that the map configuration pool would be this bad. The difference between the marble terrains and the planks ones is huge. In the marble tournament, nearly half of the time you were protected by the obstacles, but this week there are Mistwalkers everywhere and like 90% of the time you are completely exposed by the terrain. So besides not being able to avoid the first shot of the MW, this week you don't get much help from the map either.

Jammin

Huhu,

After the new tournament changes have reached the live server, I'm also going to put the tournament cycle through its paces.

On Beta I only have one Chapter 3 city for the tower, so I couldn't.
Since we are only in the 1/3 of the cycle on Live, I can only rate so far without going into tactics.
The marble tournament is playable, we have solid options to fall back on to hold up past performance.

The steel tournament turned 360 degrees from my point of view, which was the easiest tournament turned out to be a mouse trap, many long faces on those who thought they could rock something here as in the past. But I can confirm here too, the tournament is playable with a decent setup, you can take on past performances.

It looks completely different at the planks tournament, the own possibilities and the hardness that this tournament brings with it is in a difficult position.
Enemy dryards apparently only do no harm if they trip over their own feet, because there is nothing else they could trip over.
A single tournament in the entire cycle would be acceptable in such a situation.
A tournament should be playable in some way, if you have little options to counteract, then these tournament changes are not just a nerf for the tournament, but hit several aspects of the game.

If several tournaments of the cycle are hopeless then they are only played minimally up to a certain pain point, which is reached very quickly. Thus, a lot of things in the game automatically lose value because they are no longer needed in full.
I could add a long list here, but I think if someone deals with the tournament in detail, they understand what I'm getting at.
At this point I am also wondering whether the Nerf of the Frog King Version 1.98 is still necessary?

Lovec Krys

@Jasmin Enemy "Dryads" are called Mistwalkers and have the highest initiative in the game (they play always first). Their initiative together with their walk and fire range means that, unless blocked by an obstacle, they can hit almost everything. That's what make them so nasty and hated.
Basicaly with the new system it's possible in some very high province if you encounter 5 mistwalkers, to have your whole army one shoted from them.

Jammin

@Jasmin Enemy "Dryads" are called Mistwalkers and have the highest initiative in the game (they play always first)...

you are so cute, i know darling :)
The point is that the "Mistwalkers" are not sucked through a single obstacle in the terrain. You are constantly exposed to their initiative and their first shot in the plank tournament. The fact that this is the case suggests that other enemy units also have free rein, which makes the actual difficulty level for this tournament very high.

Lovec Krys

@Jammin Ok (btw, sorry for Jasmin - didn't notice your nickname is a little bit different).
I actualy don't know the terrain since I haven't done a single manual combat in this tournament (I almost never do it, so I usualy recognize bad terrain by losing the combat or having much higher losses than anticipated).

Dony

King of Bugs
The difference between the marble terrains and the planks ones is huge.
The only thing which didnt changed between old and new tournaments are maps, they are exactly the same as before
At this point I am also wondering whether the Nerf of the Frog King Version 1.98 is still necessary?
It wasnt necessary before (it didnt fixed anything) and is not necessary now unless devs are planning somewhere somehow to buff our units in the future

Deleted User - 89361

The only thing which didnt changed between old and new tournaments are maps, they are exactly the same as before
My bad then. In the old format I played in auto from the mobile, but since it's not possible to do the tournament in depth anymore, during the last 3 tournaments I have been playing full manual for first time. So I don't know very well the maps.
What I am sure of, is that the Planks maps pool with 50% archers and 15% light melee in the new format is a massacre. There is almost nowhere to hide from the enemy, and no obstacles to help you blocking the MW's first move. You permanently start the fights receiving two or three MW shots without being able to do anything, with the map that doesn't give you any help either. While in other tournaments against easier enemy compositions, the terrain protects you way more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeva

I agree mistwalkers are a pain in the ass. But that's how it is and you just have to deal with it. For me planks is not realy difficult by the way. Results are more or less the same as marble and steel. You just need to up the number of troops you fight with in every tournament, produce at least twice as much as in the old system.

CrazyWizard

I agree mistwalkers are a pain in the ass. But that's how it is and you just have to deal with it. For me planks is not realy difficult by the way. Results are more or less the same as marble and steel. You just need to up the number of troops you fight with in every tournament, produce at least twice as much as in the old system.

The same?
We clearly use a different book, I use twice the units for 15 provinces less, in my book thats not really the same.
Planks is at least from the 3 T1 tournaments by far the most difficult

Jammin

Interesting, I had never paid attention to this in the past because I didn't care. Could it be that in the next tournament cycle everything will be exactly the same as this one? Terrain of each province, enemy constellation and position?

Aeva

The same?
We clearly use a different book, I use twice the units for 15 provinces less, in my book thats not really the same.
For me it is exactly the same. But I still need to do 5 and 6 star. We can check on saturday when all results are out :cool:

Enevhar Aldarion

I don't know what kind of tournaments some of you have been playing, but for years planks has been easier than marble. And until the temp military buildings were added, planks was easier than steel. This was common enough that many fellowships that only pushed for 10 chests once every 9 weeks, did it during planks.

Deleted User - 81190

The same?
It depends on many things. While marble is probably the easiest T1 for most people, I've had lower losses for planks than I had for steel. This is even with a single freak loss in higher steel province which added about 10% to my total losses. This is all with autocombat.

But then again, I am using SOS in planks judiciously, and they do really well there if you can afford them.

PaNonymeB

The same?
The difference may come from the number of MMM/ELR used. With this setup you can use them in marble and steel but not planks. If @CrazyWizard used them and @Aeva didn't, this may explain the difference. Just a guess, I don't actually know the boosters used.

Aeva

The difference may come from the number of MMM/ELR used. With this setup you can use them in marble and steel but not planks. If @CrazyWizard used them and @Aeva didn't, this may explain the difference. Just a guess, I don't actually know the boosters used.
I guess we both used whatever we think is helpfull.

Karvest

That depends on how far you go,
If you go <25 - planks is ~same as marble/steel, but if you go 40+ marble/steel becomes way easier. You can boost your main fighting unit for marble/steel (lr/ma) with expiring buildings, but can't do it with hr for planks.