• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion The Mystery of the Misty Forest

justpeeking

The 420 package is at least 10% better than buying candles, so you should only ever need to buy a few candles when you are at the end and out of currency.
Would you, please, elaborate on this. It does not adds up for me.
If I spend 420 on candles, I get 42 of them. Is there a better strategy then going through row 2 and 5 with candles, revealing position of all potential rewards and collecting them with another candle if they are above or below? There are too many empty squares, lanterns and flasks seems to reveal mostly empty spots for a steep price overhead.

justpeeking

Another concern: what about a "lost item", which is cleared from fog, but not opened yet. Will that be lost, if we move on clearing the fog and the map is shifting to reveal new columns? Is there a warning, not to move ahead, before "lost item" "chest" is collected?

Enevhar Aldarion

Would you, please, elaborate on this. It does not adds up for me.
If I spend 420 on candles, I get 42 of them. Is there a better strategy then going through row 2 and 5 with candles, revealing position of all potential rewards and collecting them with another candle if they are above or below? There are too many empty squares, lanterns and flasks seems to reveal mostly empty spots for a steep price overhead.

That same 420 gets you 18 candles, 7 lanterns and 7 flasks. Even if you use a medium to low average per item, you will clear 18 squares with candles, 3 or 4 squares per lantern for 21 or 28 squares, and 4 or 5 per flask for 28 or 35 squares. 18+21+28=67 squares cleared or 18+28+35=81 squares cleared. Both are much more than 42 squares for 42 candles.

Another concern: what about a "lost item", which is cleared from fog, but not opened yet. Will that be lost, if we move on clearing the fog and the map is shifting to reveal new columns? Is there a warning, not to move ahead, before "lost item" "chest" is collected?

No, there is no warning in this kind of mini-game, and yes, if it goes off the screen on the left, you have lost it forever.

DeletedUser2609

If you use an app, drag a candle on the right to the block on the far left of the board. It’s a little lighter than the others. It will light up with a white border. It can be tricky so you might have to move around a bit before it will light up. When you lift your finger it should clear the fog on that block

Enevhar Aldarion

So I just loaded the game in the app, to see how the layout compares to the browser, and there is one big difference. Your supply of the three lights is on the left side of the screen in the browser version and the opposite, on the right side of the screen, in the app version. It is odd that would be different, but I guess it is better for app players because they do not have to drag the items across the entire screen to use them. Less chance of using one in the wrong space.

Lovec Krys

Well, learning the event's mechanics is one thing, but use it effectively is another.
And one more concern rises with the new mechanics: Whether the developement team used it to again nerf the rewards from an event or not.

ZodiBeta

i want a straight-forward way to work thru an event...real life is complicated enough, i just want to relax in a game. the convoluted and difficult tech requests plus the complicated productions in later chapters atop the convoluted event methods and double quests (like asking for 20hr-production catalysts AND whatever or 45 hr+- Scouting (in the last chapters) and whatever) is a tedious process... NOT fun anymore.

I don't have a problem with the idea of a mini-game within a game. However, after playing in Beta all I can say is the lower chapter players and end-game players may have the hardest time, especially if the new chapter doesn't hit the live world before the event. If you're at the end of the tech tree you will be halted by the "research a tech quest." The # of times the "gain goods" quest is repeated one after another is ridiculous, and amounts needed are so high they stop progress for a day for lower chapter players who don't have time boosters or enchantments. Especially true if you open a chapter during the event, the quest amounts go way up before you have the chance to unlock the tech to upgrade your buildings. The RNG has not been kind to me, saving up for and trying 6x for a desired prize and not getting it is very discouraging. It's been my worst experience in an event to date.

Last edited:

Maillie

Could we please get the wording on this changed? I was looking for "chests" to click on to try for the daily prize, since that's what is written when hovering over the daily prize. Some people may see some odd thing and think it's a "chest" but some may actually be looking for a chest when there doesn't appear to be any. I clicked on some odd thing and got a coin instant. Now I'm not sure if I might have missed one or more.
2020-10-02 (2).png

DeletedUser1681

i want a straight-forward way to work thru an event...
...is a tedious process... NOT fun anymore.
Copied the parts that really mirrored my feelings :rolleyes:
I mean, picking a chest that might give you some chances to get a daily prize that you like is one thing, but now wandering around to find a "chest" in the first place... nope, not having fun.
Last year I started to skip the events, last spring had a newish village and played the airship event as far as I could, but it's been downhill since then.
Maybe there are good daily prizes around, but I just can't see having a real chance of winning them anymore - no matter what statistics / strategies are presented.
I think a year or so back someone from the "team" said that events are biggest earners, I myself seem to remember last buying dias in some easter event maybe a couple of years back. There's nothing here to tempt me to buy now.

Deleted User - 88552

Having us claim the item/ spirit with currency is a pathetic attempt at a money grab. If i can see it directly in front of me, i should be able to claim it with nothing extra.

Enevhar Aldarion

Having us claim the item/ spirit with currency is a pathetic attempt at a money grab. If i can see it directly in front of me, i should be able to claim it with nothing extra.

I don't know what you are talking about, but the only thing the event currency, the Magic Ingredients, is used for is buying more of the lights to clear the fog. Once any item is in the clear, you just click on it to collect it.

Deleted User - 86749

You'll need to have a clear patch first to use the lantern in, and when you do, it clears up that whole column. The same goes for the Flash Flask: the patch you throw it on must already be cleared, and then it will clear the surrounding patches.
How do you get a 'clear patch', I can obtain a candle however it has no affect on the board.

little bee

The 420 package is at least 10% better than buying candles, so you should only ever need to buy a few candles when you are at the end and out of currency.
I strongly disagree with this. Both lanterns and flash flasks must be placed on cleared tiles. This means that a lantern can never help you move to the right. A flash flask can, but placing a lantern or flash flask on a tile cleared by an other flash flask would be a waste. I would, in fact, argue that you should usually place two candles before placing a flash flasks but lets ignore this for arguments sake. So you need an absolute minimum of one candle per lantern and flash flask.
However, with this strategy there will still be moments when you need to open a specific tile where treasure is hidden. And there will be moments when lanterns or flash flasks are impractical due to obstacles. Therefore I don't think that 18 candles per 7 lanterns and 7 flash flasks are enough.

Also the candles are the easiest to use. So inexperienced players (i.e. almost everyone) will be using more of them.

SoggyShorts

i want a straight-forward way to work thru an event...real life is complicated enough, i just want to relax in a game. the convoluted and difficult tech requests plus the complicated productions in later chapters atop the convoluted event methods and double quests (like asking for 20hr-production catalysts AND whatever or 45 hr+- Scouting (in the last chapters) and whatever) is a tedious process... NOT fun anymore.
I kinda feel the exact opposite.
I think it's fantastic that inno is adding some minigames to otherwise totally brain-dead events.

SoggyShorts

I strongly disagree with this.
Have you played this style of minigame much? I've spent a few hundred hours on it, and I can assure you that a flask or lantern has far more value than a candle. It's super easy to find a situation where you can clear 2 squares usefully with one because "going right" isn't the only goal- prizes are going to be up and down from you as well.
Obviously, just one kind is bad, but drilling a hole with candles through the middle and blasting around you to grab the prizes with lanterns and flasks if by far the most efficient way to clear.
With bad luck and poor planning, you may need to supplement the 18/7/7 package with 3-4 candles, but it shouldn't be much more than that since in the absolute worst-case scenario a flash is a candle.

Last edited:

Dony

King of Bugs
Therefore I don't think that 18 candles per 7 lanterns and 7 flash flasks are enough.
You need to reevaluate your math
clearing tiles is only half job
second half is revealing tiles
so max you can get without luck (or checking game files, then its far more) are
candle can clear 1 tile and reveal 3 tiles = 4 tiles (or more with luck)
lantern can clear 5 tiles and reveal 9 tiles = 14 tiles (or more with luck)
flask can clear 7 tiles and reveal 9 tiles = 16 tiles (or more with luck)
and because this minigame contain dead ends and moving around to find another path its impossible to do with candles only, unless you are aiming for 3 artifacts total, then its fine

so strategy is obvious, you reveal tiles with flasks and laterns and clear usefull ones with candles

Dony

King of Bugs
And one more concern rises with the new mechanics: Whether the developement team used it to again nerf the rewards from an event or not.
and this is a big concern for me aswell, back then in winter 2019 we had 1 KP rewards and players asked if we can go below that reward, and obviously answer is yes in misty forest event, back then we atleast got 1 small reward and 1 small progresion item towards grand prize, in this event we can clear 10 tiles or spend 10 items and get absolutelly zero rewards, no chest, no cats, no extra items to use, it would be acceptable if the rewards were better or more then usuall but that is not the case
imageine winter 2019 event were 8 out of 16 gifts had 0 rewards and 0 progression items towards grand prize in them aswell and you will get misty forest
i would be very surprised if anyone will manage to get grand prize to stage 10 this event, because it has lots of places for fails and zero compensation for that, just wasted resources with no rewards.
getting daily looks in same category, getting one will be very hard
i hope we will see some balancing to compensate not getting anything in many cases (for example adding magic resources from mystical objects, or more quests, or reducing pricing for items)

but i like grand prize and the fact that i can skip all chests in this event

Last edited:

GerdyaanB

Observing:
1. Clear patch of fog with candle and fog moves to empty patch...

A. Could there now be something in that previous clear patch ?

2. How can i move the map if i dont want to clear remaining foggy patches ?

3. What am i missing to comprehend?

Enevhar Aldarion

Observing:
1. Clear patch of fog with candle and fog moves to empty patch...

A. Could there now be something in that previous clear patch ?

2. How can i move the map if i dont want to clear remaining foggy patches ?

3. What am i missing to comprehend?

A clear square stays clear. Nothing moves into it. The field moves forward as you clear squares on the right edge of the grid. You cannot make it move unless you clear the squares.