• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Quests Suggestion for ongoing-always-up quest lines

satchmo33

How about adding in other "prizes" other than coins and supplies to the ongoing-always-up quests? Would make it more fun.

CrazyWizard

I've long wished for those to be replaced.
The quests & the rewards both need a total overhaul.

It indeeds needs a overhaul, but it's also important to know why it is what it is today.

When I started playing in 2015 I read an interesting intervieuw with the game developers that told us about quest cycling.
This ment you could cycle trough those quests and then pick the ones you liked. this included quest that allowed you to get for that time massive amountd of goods. I immediatly looked at it, and started to adjust my town to level 1 factories only as combined with quest it gave a massive amount of goods you could not aquire with regular production.
Quests at the same time could provide you with all the supplies you needed, this way you did not need workshops. this was very common and a large portion of the players had a very limited amount of workshops often just 1 or 2. all the other supplies came from questing.

So they tried to "fix" this.
One of the options they tried is to limit skipping a quest to once a day.

This broke pretty much every town on beta since every town relied for supplies on questing, legend claims that more than 50% of the players quit because of that change on beta.
So this change was reverted, players did not return, but it was never released to live.

Then they started to fix the "goods" quests they got several changes first a reduction in rewards which did not help, and later it changed to: "produce production Y 24h, collect X supplies, gain Z coins.
This was originally in for example chapter 2? produce T1 24h gain 1200 bonus goods since a building could never produce that much at that time in game, it was much easier to just build 3 level 1 factories instead of 1 level 15 factory and quest cycle the quests to get the reward once per day per level 1 factory.

So this solved the insane goods gain from these unlimited quests but it did not solve that all cities relied on these quest for there supplies.
They could not change this without breaking almost every single town in game.

The solution then became to no longer update the unlimited questline. as the game evolved people where slowly forced to build there cities properly with proper workshops. this way they solved the issue without having all players run away from the game.

This is why there are no new "improved" quests after the dwarven chapter.
An important takeaway of this story is that an overhaul need to take in account the lessons from the past.
It might let the "skip once per day" return, as it would not have the same backlash as it had back in the day.

Making interesting quests, with interesting rewards in an unlimited free for all format can't and should not exist, so if an overhaul would be made do not expect "unlimited" quest cyling anymore.

SoggyShorts

so if an overhaul would be made do not expect "unlimited" quest cyling anymore.
Yeah, that's exactly what I think should be removed. (as I've said for 5 years)
There should instead be a whole panel of advisors. 16 of them in fact, use the FA interface. Those 16 advisors can each have their own questlines.
Some repeating, others not, and some with a cooldown.
Military, crafting, magic, exploration, etc.
Shouldn't be that hard to come up with a list.

Basically the opposite of what's been done to events: those quests are so generic because they try to be all inclusive and not upset anyone who might have a unique snowflake playstyle.
These 16 advisors? Do the quests you like, ignore the ones you don't.
Solo player? Fine, ignore the tournament advisor & spire advisors.
Pacifist? Ok, ignore the military guy.
Want to stay in chapter 4 forever? No problem, just ignore that technology guy.
etc.

With 16 quest givers + event + storyline there should be something for everyone.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Well as explained they couldn't as it would kill the game at that time.
Nah, people get over things like that.
As you said, those who couldn't live without a massive exploit* left and never came back.
Yes, many players loved the exploit*, but they could have slowly tweaked it by reducing the rewards every time a new chapter was released and had those quests completely replaced way back when S&D was release if not much sooner.

There were a hundred ways they could have reduced the crutch of endless quests, they just didn't.

*Note: I use the world exploit because it fits the definition
"In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, speed or level design etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers. "

The developers have stated more than once that the endless cycling was not how they intended the quests to be used.

Last edited:

DeletedUser3773

There should instead be a whole panel of advisors. 16 of them in fact, use the FA interface.
I really like the idea of using the FA interface. It already exists so there is much less work to create a quest panel.
As for advisors, it sounds good. I can't think of a down side so far. I think that each one could come available as you progress in the chapters, perhaps as a bonus when opening the next chapter since that already sort of happens. That way, the storyline is controlled for the early chapters and much more flexible as you progress and unlock each new quest line.

The FA interface would be much better than quest cycling which currently is very cumbersome. It's probably like that to discourage cycling but sometimes you can't fulfill a quest because you're beyond it's specific requirements. Eg. "Upgrade manufactory to level 11 or higher." All mine are level 13 or so and therefore its impossible to do since it only recognizes the completion of the quest after the quest has been activated. Cycling to the next quest could give the same problem so even if they could make that process less complicated, it would be an improvement. Just have forward cycling without the decline button. A "next quest" button instead?