• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Small cities

Hazel Caballus

I wonder if there are other players out here who experiment with building a small city. What are your experiences and how far (in terms of research) did you get?
I made the decision not to place any more city expansions in the fairies‘ chapter, as far as I remember. My city is 56 expansions (5x11+1) and in the beginning of chapter 10, tournament average 2,8k (could quite easily be more if I wanted to). I currently have 21 un-placed expansions.
Aims for my city are twofold: First, consider limited space as a challenge and see how far (using PPs and small amounts of guest race buildings) in research you can get. I don‘t rush though the chapters (and don’t plan to), so, patience is there. Second, keep tournament difficulty (in terms of troop size/negotiation costs) low.

Tomtimmon

I am experimenting with one now ... No paid for expansions because they count against tourney difficulty ... No AWs because of the same ... Only 3/2/1 on factories ... Three armories ... Taking it slowly up thru Orcs (last chapter I will do). Just curious as to what I can make of it. So far I'm still in chapter three and doing 1k points in six rounds in
tournaments

edeba

I am experimenting with one now ... No paid for expansions because they count against tourney difficulty ... No AWs because of the same ... Only 3/2/1 on factories ... Three armories ... Taking it slowly up thru Orcs (last chapter I will do). Just curious as to what I can make of it. So far I'm still in chapter three and doing 1k points in six rounds in
tournaments
Free expansions count more against the tournament.

Enevhar Aldarion

@Tomtimmon Remember that it is the number of AW levels, not just having an AW. I am sure the math people here can show that at least some of the AWs at level one offer more in help than that single level will count against you in the tournament and Spire.

Also, as has to be pointed out every time someone calls it "difficulty" and not cost. All this stuff increases the number of troops or goods you need to complete encounters, it does not make the actual encounter more difficult. For fighting, the percent difference between your squad and the enemy squad is determined by the province and star and everyone gets that exact same number, no matter your chapter or how much you have in AW levels or expansions.

As for stopping in chapter 8, that only keeps orcs from being needed to negotiate in the Spire, as they will not show there until chapter 9, but orcs will be needed to cater in the tournament as soon as you are into chapter 8. So think carefully about just finishing 8 or doing the Advanced Scouts at the start of chapter 9 and then stopping progress.

Rill

On the US1 server I have a chapter 5 city that currently has 30 expansions (including the initial 6), 5 of which are dedicated to the FA. When the next event begins and I progress to the Dwarves chapter, those extra 5 expansions will be used for my Dwarven settlement. For most of chapter 5, I have had 5x5 expansions.

I reach the top of the Spire and get 2700-3200 points per tournament. My tournament score is mainly limited by my stubbornness about not completing province encounters unless the bossy event lady makes me. I have 10-12 open provinces of each type and play them all to six stars.

Username on US server is Gladiola.

CrazyWizard

I wonder if there are other players out here who experiment with building a small city. What are your experiences and how far (in terms of research) did you get?
I made the decision not to place any more city expansions in the fairies‘ chapter, as far as I remember. My city is 56 expansions (5x11+1) and in the beginning of chapter 10, tournament average 2,8k (could quite easily be more if I wanted to). I currently have 21 un-placed expansions.
Aims for my city are twofold: First, consider limited space as a challenge and see how far (using PPs and small amounts of guest race buildings) in research you can get. I don‘t rush though the chapters (and don’t plan to), so, patience is there. Second, keep tournament difficulty (in terms of troop size/negotiation costs) low.

I recently started developing my small city again. I am almost at woodelves chapter now and my city has 36 expansions.
I expect to reach the elvenar chapter with it without more expansions, but it will take some time.
Once I reach my end goal only then can I waste the space on building out the city into a battle town. right now I just need all the space I can get. so now the town is weak but fun (it's my diamond accelerator city so it's main goal is diamond creation and it has like 11 library sets which I will not remove)

It's a nice challenge to deal with very limited space but we will get there and by them we will be uber powerfull.

Hazel Caballus

On the US1 server I have a chapter 5 city that currently has 30 expansions (including the initial 6), 5 of which are dedicated to the FA. When the next event begins and I progress to the Dwarves chapter, those extra 5 expansions will be used for my Dwarven settlement. For most of chapter 5, I have had 5x5 expansions.

I reach the top of the Spire and get 2700-3200 points per tournament. My tournament score is mainly limited by my stubbornness about not completing province encounters unless the bossy event lady makes me. I have 10-12 open provinces of each type and play them all to six stars.

Username on US server is Gladiola.
Wow, that’s a really small city and still very powerful. I wonder if you focus on fighting or catering in the tourneys/Spire? I do have some issues producing enough troops, though I know I could circumvent that issue by using my brown bear more often - usually, I just don’t feel like burning a lot of time instants (and PP spells).

I also don‘t like completing province encounters except for events... :D

I recently started developing my small city again. I am almost at woodelves chapter now and my city has 36 expansions.
I expect to reach the elvenar chapter with it without more expansions, but it will take some time.
Once I reach my end goal only then can I waste the space on building out the city into a battle town. right now I just need all the space I can get. so now the town is weak but fun (it's my diamond accelerator city so it's main goal is diamond creation and it has like 11 library sets which I will not remove)

It's a nice challenge to deal with very limited space but we will get there and by them we will be uber powerfull.
I‘m afraid that my city is already too big to compete with the extra small ones. I was a bit late at making the decision not to place anymore expansions. Still, when I look at my main city in the Elvenar chapter, I wonder how I will accommodate for these huge sentient goods manufactories (not to mention the guest race settlement). But that’s going to take a while, anyway.
As I‘m curious to know, I wonder how the library sets help you in creating diamonds - is it because they provide you with a lot of CCs so that you can fill the mystical object more often? (That’s the first link between library sets and diamonds which came to my mind).

@Tomtimmon
Also, as has to be pointed out every time someone calls it "difficulty" and not cost. All this stuff increases the number of troops or goods you need to complete encounters, it does not make the actual encounter more difficult.
In the beginning, I also thought like this (and also sometimes corrected people when they were calling it difficulty). In the end, however, an increased troop size translates into difficulty if you can’t compensate for the increased losses. It’s just another kind of difficulty. The ratio between own troops and enemies remains unaffected, but, when your city advances, according to the formula, you need to produce more troops, which will eventually become a problem (difficult).

Aeva

One of my live cities is a Fairytown. It has been for a very long time. I have 81 expansions which is a maximum, I only can get more by spending diamonds. It's a city for fun and it looks like a themepark. But, I climb the spire to the top every week and I do have a tournay average slightly under 5000 which is not difficult to maintain. I also have a bit of space that I can use during a fellowship adventure for some production of statues or necklaces. I like this city this way. Easy to play, low maintanance and a nice score.

Heymrdiedier

this is my very small city. I really loved the challenge

1629927620411.png

My tournament average is about 5k. I only do tournament 6 weeks out of 9 tho. I wanted to stay in orc chapter forever, but i noticed my scout was getting close to my max coin cap, so decided to go ahead and start doing orc chapter woodelves.
Its still a risk for me cause i fear ill need more orcs then i make once i reach woodelves chapter.

If it all works out okay, then the real challenge is still up ahead. wizards chapter! Im not sure yet how i will manage to get that big 10x10 portal in.

Karvest

iirc you can get 5400+ every tourney without even entering dwarves and be limited only by orcs barrier, not talking about scouting cost at all.
If you are in orcs and doing 2/3 of tournaments (and therefore skip scouting of 1/4 provinces) - you should be able to go much further...

Heymrdiedier

iirc you can get 5400+ every tourney without even entering dwarves and be limited only by orcs barrier, not talking about scouting cost at all.
If you are in orcs and doing 2/3 of tournaments (and therefore skip scouting of 1/4 provinces) - you should be able to go much further...
I am going higher then 5k ofcourse, else i wouldnt be getting an average of 5k if 1/3 of the weeks i get 0. I didnt want to post my highest numbers because i dont like bragging, thats why i posted my average ;)

Karvest

It's not about bragging for me, I just want to know how far it is possible to go in tourney without completing orcs. We have an ultra small (7 expansions) experimental city, but it hasn't reached orcs yet.

Tomtimmon

As for stopping in chapter 8, that only keeps orcs from being needed to negotiate in the Spire, as they will not show there until chapter 9, but orcs will be needed to cater in the tournament as soon as you are into chapter 8. So think carefully about just finishing 8 or doing the Advanced Scouts at the start of chapter 9 and then stopping progress.

Actually, the need for Orcs to cater tournaments only applies when you hit tenth ring in provinces. Trust me, my oldest beta city has been finished with orcs for a few months now and I do every province I have six times a week with no orcs needed.

Heymrdiedier

It's not about bragging for me, I just want to know how far it is possible to go in tourney without completing orcs. We have an ultra small (7 expansions) experimental city, but it hasn't reached orcs yet.
Im currently at 34 provinces scouted of some types, so 9180 score there. Im not at my scouting limit yet, but the cost is getting at the 7M range, so thats why im currently going through the chapter. If i hit the wall i can then continue to go on to the woodelves chapter. that scout research would make my next scouts much cheaper, and im pretty sure that i can handle the orc requirement for tournament with a few orc nests. The mana requirement when you go to dragons chapter, I'm not sure of yet.
Im not in a hurry, its a slow project on purpose.

Karvest

ultra small city won't go past orcs anyway, at max it can try to upgrade Main Hall to orcs level...
but if/when it hits scouting cost cap may be it would be expanded a bit more and finish orcs as well, but not sure if it would still be self-sufficient...

Enevhar Aldarion

Stay in a circle around your city and you can complete 222 provinces before #223 will require orcs for catering. That is the 1st province of Ring 11. I have no idea how hard fighting is at that point, so I don't know how far past that point a small fighting city could push. Exactly how many of each province you will have when you complete #222 may depend on your boost combination, as I do not know if all nine combinations get provinces in the same amounts at the same time. I tracked the provinces for my Beta city, and after completing Ring 10/ province 222, three relic types had 22 and six relic types had 26 completed provinces available. That would be either 5940 or 7020 points, a fairly large difference of 1080 points, depending on the week.

Heymrdiedier

ultra small city won't go past orcs anyway, at max it can try to upgrade Main Hall to orcs level...
but if/when it hits scouting cost cap may be it would be expanded a bit more and finish orcs as well, but not sure if it would still be self-sufficient...
That was my initial plan as well. never to go past orcs. but its all going so smoothly atm, im now leaning at the, why not go further?
Also it looks kinda great to have a maxed out flying academy in that ultra small city. Only to get loads of free priests that are pretty awesome in tournament :p
This city is made to make tournament and spire as cheap as possible. every expansion i placed is a diamond one, because they are a bit easier on difficulty as normal ones. (all diamonds are from crafting and spire).

It feels a bit like playing a game you already know completely, over again, only on hard mode this time :)

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

fighting is impossible there as there is no space for barracks =)

I was guessing that, but mentioned fighting just to be safe.

Also, to add to my previous comment, it only takes 220 provinces completed to unlock chapter 10, so someone doing this could advance all the way to the end of chapter 10 without ever needing a single orc for the world map. Of course, by that point there are plenty of other things besides completing provinces that would need orcs, if someone pushed that far. Even just opening chapter 8 adds orcs to the mix for catering in the tournament. The only way to avoid needing orcs for anything at all is to stop at the end of chapter 7. Are you making room for Orc Nests and for any orc-producing event buildings you might win?