• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Quests Side quests

DeletedUser

It's logical that everybody (with the exception of some pretty rare guys) always selects from the side quests, the side quest, which is most comfortable and seems to be the easiest.

For example, nobody would choose 'produce 1000 marbles' if he has a plank manufacture only ... or recruite 10000 units and receive 600 coins when there is another option/side quest with recruite 200 units and receive 100000 coins.

And it's annoying/boring always loop through all the options of side quests until the one which actually could be done comes again to select it.

I think it would be cute and it could be a nice difference to all the other games, if there instead of the need of looping through, would appear a drop-down menu/combo-box where the 'preferred side quest' could be selected.

Technically it doesn't make any difference, regarding the personal strategy there's also no difference, because everybody always will select what he prefers 'looping through' or not ...

So what do you think? Should we opt for a combo-box, drop down-menu or should we maintain the existing 'decline quest + are you sure you want to decline + are you sure that you're sure' system?

DeletedUser136

I'm pretty content with just accepting or declining. If I don't want a quest the first time and it loops, I'm just going to decline it again.

Actually, if a repeating quest just stopped after the first time I declined it, it would make more sense :)

DeletedUser580

On the other side, why not put the declince away so that players have to do any sidequest. would be more challenging. :)

DeletedUser119

I agree with Extranjero.
Decline a quests to be able to have the good quest at the good time can be quite tiring.
I’m doing more than 15 loops of my repeatable quests every day. Even if it takes time, it’s definitely worth it.
But be able to choose quicker which quest you want to do, would be more enjoyable.

There are some quests that I’ll never do, like the 1 days production of my boosted goods. It’s not profitable if you can come in game once every 3 hours. So another option for side quests could be a “do not show me this quest again” tick box.

Yes, not be able to decline a quest could be more challenging. But then, I think that would be meaningless to have repeatable quests.

DeletedUser

To start with, I didn't like the quest concept of repeatable quests at FoE and so I don't like it here as well. Because of that I didn't decline any quest, that makes some sense so far, not complaining: 'Oh that would take too much time'.

I would like the choice of players to focus on certain quests be implemented in another way:
There should be many open quests at the same time, part of them being unique to tell a story or teach the use of game features, the other (smaller) part coming again, but with increased difficulty then.
So you would never get identical quests twice...

DeletedUser580

Or what about some repeatable quest trees. If you only go for a specific repeatable quest, you will get better things. But other quest trees might be good as well when you reach higher tiers in these repeatable quests. :D

DeletedUser

Analyzing the current game level, the available (decline-able) side-quests I came to the following conclusion:

The 'finish a province'-quest and the 'gain 1000 goods'-quest can be completed when nearly ready, the rest of the time (80 - 90%) the only side-quest making sense is 'gain 4000 supplies ', all other side-quests are to decline because of impossibility, worthless/low rewards, lots of hours/days.

Details:

List of available side-quests:
  • Produce 3 times 1 day boosted good level 1 (20,25 goods/hr at level 8) - reward: 500 goods level 1 + 10000 coins
  • Produce once 1 day boosted good level 3 (research arrives there in 5 weeks) - reward: 100 goods level 3 + 30000 coins
  • Produce 3 times 1 day boosted good level 2 (22,75 goods/hr at level 6) - reward: 200 goods level 2 + 20000 coins
  • Produce 3 times 1 day boosted good level 1 (20,25 goods/hr at level 8) - reward: 500 goods level 1 + 10000 coins
  • Produce 3 times 1 day boosted good level 2 (22,75 goods/hr at level 6) - reward: 200 goods level 2 + 20000 coins
  • Produce 3 times 1 day boosted good level 3 (research arrives there in 5 weeks) - reward: 200 goods level 3 + 20000 coins
  • Gain 1000 goods - reward: 60000 coins + 1500 supplies
  • Upgrade 3 buildings - reward: 2000 coins + 100 supplies
  • Upgrade 2 Workshops - reward: 4000 coins + 500 supplies
  • Train 300 units - reward: 42000 coins + 3600 supplies
  • Finish a province - reward: 43000 coins + 3200 supplies
  • Gain 4000 supplies - reward: 75000 coins

Current buildings overview:
  • Main hall level 8
  • 8 workshops level 7 (producing 5376 supplies/hr)
  • 2 silk manufactures level 6
  • 2 planks manufactures level 8
  • barracks level 8 (producing units ~ 18 - 20 hrs./day)

Current research overview:

Tomorrow starting research of 'cobbled road' as the last research of this column (when the second city expansion in the column is done)
Never inverted in diamonds, global ranking between 150 and 200.

So in my opinion the side-quest strategy cannot include for example opting for side quests producing good level 3 (first time possible in 5 weeks ...), but also 'upgrade 3 buildings' or '2 workshops' ate also 'no way side quests' because upgrade 2 or 3 buildings from level 6 to 7not only would be at least 12 hrs (remember: no diamonds, 2 builders only) and you 'earn' 2000 coins + 100 supplies or 4000 coins + 500 supplies .

Train 300 units would be about 9 hrs ...

So what remains as the 'Yes or Yes'-side quest is 'gain 4000 supplies ', every 3/4 hour one receives the 75000 coins, that's a lot of coins which allows you to 'buy' from the Whole-Saler nice quantities of goods

That's fine because every 3 hours there are more than 600 goods ready from the 4 manufactures, so 'buying' 400 more (which you will also need in your research/map) you can also complete the 'gain 1000 goods'-quest every 3 hours (if you’re not on siesta ...)

And last (and also least) the 'finish a province'-quest can always be done when you finish a province - in the 'worst' case you only have to wait to start/accept this side-quest for 3/4 id you’ve just started the 'gain 4000 supplies '-quest.

Best regards,
Extranjero

DeletedUser

Great job to prove really bad quest design, Extranjero. And it's even worse, because as already pointed out elsewhere, the reward for 1 one-day production for Elixir (this should be Mysterious Potion, I'm stuck with such a quest for many days now) in goods is just 50, only half of the 100 stated above.

DeletedUser

Wait, what? I cn decline quests? In that case I am completely with farmer methusalem.

DeletedUser119

Could you have forget some quests Extranjero?
I'm almost at the same point than you in my research (start superior workshop today, next is cobbled road) but I've 8 more side-quests than those you give here and only twice "Produce 3 times 1 day boosted good level 1".

The reward of 1 day production quests might be useful to player which come in game only once or twice a day.
But for all the other, yes it's only a lose of time.

Anyway, I'd really like some change with these declinable quests

DeletedUser

Could you have forget some quests Extranjero?

I did about 4 or 5 'rounds' looping through available side quests before posting - and these were all I could find there.

Than I posted the side quests list and few minutes later I had a 'new' declineable quest: have 3 Silk manufactures at level 34767 (or higher) and earn 2 supplies (or something similar), I declined, and received about 3 or 4 'new' declineable quests more, which all were already completed, so there were only to earn the rewards.

At the third or fourth collecting of these rewards game got frozen ... and on reload there were back again the 8 side quests listed before ... so the 'change' lasted only few moments.

DeletedUser119

I've noticed that sometimes when unlocking some research new side-quests appears, maybe it was because of this.
But it's still strange that we haven't the same side-quests.

Here's my list of side-quests :
(1) produce 3 multiple novels (200 scrolls, 20k coins)
(2) produce 1 firework (100 m. dust, 30k coins)
(3) finish a province (43k coins, 3.2k supplies)
(4) produce 3 luxury armchairs (500 planks, 10k coins)
(5) produce 3 luxury armchairs (500 planks, 10k coins)
(6) produce 3 fireworks (200 m. dust, 20k coins)
(7) produce 3 multiple novels (200 scrolls, 20k coins)
(8) gain 100 goods (60k coins, 1.5k supplies)
(9) fight 3 encounters (47k coins, 2.8k supplies)
(10) fight 3 encounters (70k coins, 500 supplies)
(11) place 5 trade offers and gain 100 m. dust (10k coins, 6k supplies)
(12) gain 4 relics (60k coins, 1.5k supplies)
(13) upgrade 2 scrolls manuf. and gain 300 scrolls (5k coins, 7k supplies)
(14) complete 4 encounters (59k coins, 1.2k supplies)
(15) gain 300 m. dust (5k coins, 7k supplies)
(16) upgrade 3 buildings (2k coins, 100 supplies)
(17) upgrade 2 workshops (4k coins, 500 supplies)
(18) gain 4000 supplies (75k coins)
(19) train 300 units (42k coins, 3.6k supplies)
(20) gain 40k coins (8k supplies)
It seems that I've more useful side-quests than you.
I can complete the quest (20) 3 times when polishing my neighbours, then once every 3h like quest (8) and (18).

I can complete the quest (11) three times every 3h since I have 3 magic dust factory that give each more than 100 magic dust every 3h. It's because of that quest that I'm doing more than 15 loops in my side-quests every day.
But it's mean that each time, I have to decline 19 quests to get this one again.
Quite annoying...

DeletedUser199

I`m exactly at the same point in the tech tree as Extranjero and since many days I`ve got the identical side quests as him. I hope once I advance to the 3rd-tier manufactories this will change and there will be a greater variety of these quests - otherwise it would become just a little bit boring.

DeletedUser580

Maybe the Sidequests should be like in FoE? You will get random rewards? Therefore it might be much harder and not that easy to "cheat". Getting so much gold by just producing a few supplies is insane. I start doing it too but everything lose more and more attractiveness. I feel like I cheat and thats boring and ruin everything. ^^

Summary: Random rewards which are invisible. You have to do the quest to see what you will get.

DeletedUser

It cannot be meant having ~15 to 20 different repeatable quests and it only makes sense to do 2 or 3 three of them, if you want to play 'clever'. Indeed this looks to me as exploiting a bad quest design, you should NOT get an advantage by declining a quest and instead doing an easier one many times.

Of course everybody is used to do so through playing FoE. But as already stated elsewhere, I don't like to see bad elements of FoE here. Don't waste the chance to install a much more meaningful quest system here.

If not going after my proposals made before this the only workaround I see is to have to pay a price in order to decline a quest.

DeletedUser236

It cannot be meant having ~15 to 20 different repeatable quests and it only makes sense to do 2 or 3 three of them, if you want to play 'clever'. Indeed this looks to me as exploiting a bad quest design, you should NOT get an advantage by declining a quest and instead doing an easier one many times.

At this point there are only a few repeatable quests for me.. 3 of them I don't wanna do because of the "produce XX0" (it takes 24h and gives bad reward), so that leaves me with "complete province", "get 4k supplies", and "get 40k coins".. Those are easily reached and sometimes I don't bother with the province quests either.. It seems like an endless circle, I can decline whatever I want and the supplies and coins quest is back on (I don't mind, but I do mind if you get what I mean).. And I want new challening quests, not the same easy (but very highly rewarded) ones o_O

If not going after my proposals made before this the only workaround I see is to have to pay a price in order to decline a quest.

I like this idea.. There has to be a down side to declining quests so people won't exploit them, but this is only workable if the order of the quests is fixed so the quests you get are actually doable at the time (or at least near future research) + if the downside is bigger than the reward you get from the easy and high rewarded quests (like the coins quest, it gets you 8k supplies and I can finish it at least 5 times while helping neighbors)

DeletedUser1090

i love the drop down-menu idea from extranjero a lot! :)
cause since a few days, i have new sidequests and its really tiring to click through all the quests i don't like.
before, i have to click ca. 9 times to get "my" quest. now it's ca. 14 times for me to click.

it would be also nice, if the quests could pop up like in FOE :)

DeletedUser

Repeatable quests are the only things which make sense when you have disfunctional neighbourhoods. You learn from desperation to play clever.
'Playing' is a creative action otherwise we might as well have been given a day to day tasks to do and a virtual sweety as a reward, then everyone's a winner!!!. The playing field can never be leveled for all players, as each one has individual abilities, time, money, strategy etc.
People read and experience things differenly, if you like being told what to do, when to do it, and how to do it to get some reward, do every quest as you are told.

If I had a coin for every time I have clicked on Elvenar.......:rolleyes: