• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Runeshard Changes

Enevhar Aldarion

@Enevhar Aldarion In that case you keep playing in prety weak FSs. It's your own business of course, but in most FSs i know you would be kicked if you won't play T&S (at least BluePrint is very strong motivation to play Tourney).

No, I have no use for the strict fellowships. We easily get 10+ tournament chests and think Silver in the Spire is fine. That is more fun than having a dictator for an AM.

Last edited by a moderator:

SyreArca

Ex-Team Member
Hey everyone.
Let's get back on topic to the Rune shard changes, please.
We can leave the play styles of our beloved game up to each individual player.
Thank you :)

ekarat

While using a square or higher root will tamper down the growth a bit, the exponential term on techs completely overshadows everything else. A square root factor times an exponential factor is still exponential, it just takes a little bit longer for it to swamp any damping of other factors. Factors are multiplied together which exacerbates the situation. They should be terms, which are additive, not multiplicative factors. I don't mind so much the metrics that are being used to determine advancement. It's the way they are combined that is the main problem. And making the tech completion factor exponential is just plain wrong.

However, this is back to the tons and tons and volumes and volumes that have already been written about how squad size is created and the difficulty curve due to prov number/round.

This is not true if the square root and the exponential are for different variables and if they are multiplied together. It really does need to be exponential in the techs. However, there are two issues:

1) The exponent for research is too large, such that it grows too quickly. The growth should be on par with the power increase, which is exponential, but a slower exponential.
2) Goods for negotiations (eg mana/seeds) do not scale up as well as troops do. (I am not an expert on this second point, since I fight rather than negotiate.)

It's not like the whole system design has a fundamentally fatal flaw -- there just need to be some tweaks, not a full redesign. However, that's all the more reason to make those tweaks in the first place.

ekarat

Beside it's not clear, it's also backwards. a game is about personal development not about restraint.
Playing and developing on a dime might be fun for people like me. but it makes no sense overall.

It's like playing and RPG and after gaining half the levels they tell you to not put in more development points in your character because it makes it worse. that doesnt make any sense.

That is a thing that actually happens with RPGs that scale difficulty with your character's development.

little bee

Hey everyone.
Let's get back on topic to the Rune shard changes, please.
We can leave the play styles of our beloved game up to each individual player.
Thank you :)
I think the feedback for the runes is this:
The runes add so many KP to the game that players need to ask themselve serious questions about their goal in elvenar.
Do they want to be good in tourney / spire? Then they need to avoid building harmfull wonders and possibly stop research. And since they suddenly get enough KP to instantly level every usefull wonder, the game is essentially over.
Or do they want to progress in chapters and/or build as many wonders as possible? In this case the extra runes will actually harm your tournament performance and thus give you less runes for conversion. This will open a wide gap between the two playstyles.

edeba

The crazy race to level AWs has pretty much died out in my FS now. I think a few are still working at getting some faster leveling, but certainly not at the pace we were seeing. So, I would expect to see the same on live worlds, two weeks of very high AW leveling activity, with some people going for in the 100 AW levels. It did seem to be very selective in that people were interested in certain AWs and not others and it was not universally the same, but I think some were more popular overall to get levels.

More importantly, I know I have resources for more AW levels, as do others, but there just isn't interest in more AW levels because of the broken and regressive nature of the tournament and spire.

Alcaro

even with the broken formula you can easily get over 2K TP. For a full FS it's enough to get 10 chests and maybe 1 or 2 more.
From my point of view, I gave up on tourny (getting an average score, not too bad, not too good), I focus on Spire and I will upgrade (and keep leveling them) some wonders that help in my progression through chapters. For example, I will bring the Bee trader to maximum, probably also Mountain Halls, Maze, Abbey, Sunset Towers and once unlocked, also Temple of Spirits and laterrrrr Vallorian Seal Tower. I prefer to have an easier transition from a chapter to another than struggling in tournaments.
If you always think at tournaments and its stupid formula you will eventually hate this game. I prefer to return to the basics of Elvenar. Building, upgrading, planning and working on the layout (and swearing through the whole process :D). I take tournaments and Spire just as some parts from a big machine. I do not intend to ignore them but definitely I will not lose my sleep over them and I will not ignore other parts of the game because of them.

Return to Innocence
(pun intended)

Bor de Wolf 1965

I agree with @Alcaro .
Here I am at chapter 5 and I am happy with only 10x6 province for the tournament, yes I need to buy the final once but I keep getting a decent score of 2700 points.
On a life server I am at chapter 19 and keep doing 20x6 province for the tournament, Sometimes I need to buy a province but 5400 points is good enough for me.
The tower here I go up to the 2nd boss and wait there, on life I keep waiting with some friends till the end of the tower week at the top.
On life we are always 1 or 2 chests short of gold but hey, it is a game and I am happy with that as well.

The games were it really counts for me, I play with real life friends and still there we get eaten by zombies once in a while.
But we are having fun and that is the important part for me.

Bor de Wolf 1965

Normal situation: On life servers it starts 2 weeks after it has started on the Beta server.
So it can come up today or next week.

Jackluyt

My own general comments - for what they are worth:

1. I believe in keeping things ultra-simple! That way the game is fun, not work. Accordingly we are just continuing as usual with our Endless Chain swap threads - they are the simplest and fairest, despite the complicated other bells-and-whistles systems that people are constantly dreaming up. Even more so with the new Rune Shard system, because you get 15 KP from a Rune Shard when donating to a friend and only 10 when giving to yourself.
This is even more reason NEVER to put ANY KP into your own wonders and rather put all your surplus KP into swaps to gain bonuses, which I have been advocating for years!! KP in your own Wonder has zero chance of giving a bonus; swapping it with another player there is a good chance that one day you might get something nice in return.

2. Because older active players like myself have several hundred of the Rune Shards for early-level wonders like Abyss, Needles, etc., etc., I went through the entire fellowship and gave everyone 10 each as a present! If everyone does that, everyone can get their useful wonders to a high level immediately, without having yet another special system and yet another set of bothersome fellowship 'rules'.
Remember that you should NOT upgrade 'junk wonders' because they increase your side-event expenses without making your city much stronger.

3. The lock only applies to people who receive a lot more KP than they are giving. It does NOT apply to donating your Rune Shards to yourself - which is highly NOT recommended.
This system was put in place to slow down people who have 'Push Accounts' which are not allowed - small alternate cities that exist ONLY to feed KP and goods to the main account. When your income of KP is much more than your expenditure to others, the game puts a temporary lock on you which seems to go away after a day.
You can also unlock the block by giving some KP to other players, or by swapping equal amounts with another player.

4. Marindor has asked us NOT to discuss the mechanics of the lock in detail; they have no intention of telling us exactly which criteria they are applying to activate it - because then 'cheats' armed with that knowledge would know how to manipulate the system to their advantage!!
Please respect this.

5. In our group we have 5, 10, 20, 30, 60 and 120 KP swap threads and everyone is free to contribute as and when they have excess KP. Obviously, with the new system, the three last threads are EXTREMELY busy - because they are easily divisible by 15!!
So no need to create special new threads or systems!!

Killy

1. I believe in keeping things ultra-simple! That way the game is fun, not work. Accordingly we are just continuing as usual with our Endless Chain swap threads - they are the simplest and fairest, despite the complicated other bells-and-whistles systems that people are constantly dreaming up.

Yep and the earth is flat - that is the simplest explanation instead of complicated bending of space-time.:D

The chains are just getting even more unfair with the addition of the runeshard change (obviously).

Last edited:

Karvest

1. I believe in keeping things ultra-simple! That way the game is fun, not work. Accordingly we are just continuing as usual with our Endless Chain swap threads - they are the simplest and fairest, despite the complicated other bells-and-whistles systems that people are constantly dreaming up. Even more so with the new Rune Shard system, because you get 15 KP from a Rune Shard when donating to a friend and only 10 when giving to yourself.
This is even more reason NEVER to put ANY KP into your own wonders and rather put all your surplus KP into swaps to gain bonuses, which I have been advocating for years!! KP in your own Wonder has zero chance of giving a bonus; swapping it with another player there is a good chance that one day you might get something nice in return.
That's not true. The only pros of endless chains is simplicity. With runes exchange they became more annoying due to endless spam and even less fair than they was. The most active players will get the most profit from less active players.