• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Robert Readbeard QLE

SoggyShorts

@Aramina
What's nice about following the above advice is that you get much longer breaks between events. Using those techniques myself I finished the winter event quests in 10 days, giving me 30 days before the redbeard event came up.
The same thing applies now- Part 2 will come out very soon after part one, and there will be more complaints, but because I finished part 1 in a day, I'll have loads of time in between. No instants were needed for me either.

As for only having red provinces, I suppose that's a matter of playstyle- There is a hard cap on how many expansions you can get (457 cleared provinces) so if a player rushes towards that, they need to be aware that they will not be getting anymore space.

DeletedUser2003

As for only having red provinces, I suppose that's a matter of playstyle- There is a hard cap on how many expansions you can get (457 cleared provinces) so if a player rushes towards that, they need to be aware that they will not be getting anymore space.
But here's the thing Soggy, I'm not rushing toward anything, and am only scouted as far as I am because of the recent event quests. I'm still in the proverbial GZ for my place in the tech tree, with 10 more provs needed to open the chest at the beginning of my next chapter. I wasn't asking for you to teach me how to play the game your way, just showing that maybe not everyone wants to, and that's ok. I've never finished any (major) event in 10 days, and I have no desire to try, as that doesn't fit with my play style. :confused:
tech.jpg tech2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1767

I play a few other games, all of which have events at least occasionally. Two of them have events more or less constantly, as far as I can tell -- sometimes multiple different events running at the same time. For days. And yet... it's not exhausting the way events have come to be here.

One of the games has three kinds of events: one in which you get a small prize every day (leading up to a nice big prize at the end if you collect all the smaller ones) and the other in which you earn points each time you do something that you will definitely be doing anyway, with a final prize for how much you end up doing of it, and one that's sort of more complicated but ultimately you can do it or not. It's really win-win for all three cases! You can choose to participate or not, you don't have to do anything you don't want to, and if you do decide to participate, everything you do to get the prize benefits you.

The other game has... I don't even know, five or six kinds of events? Running sometimes all at once? One category I don't like because you can get pretty far and then suddenly you can't do anything without spending real money. Funny enough, that one is structured the most like the Elvenar events. The other kinds of events either do not affect your game play literally at all or they might cause you to do something slightly differently than you'd planned, but still in a way that ultimately benefits you.

Which is to say: it is completely possible to run events all the time without burning out all of your players and/or requiring them to do things they feel are detrimental to their cities in order to progress. Sure, no event will please all your players! But there's a difference between events that not everyone likes (for whatever reason) and events that leave a significant number of players stressed and burned out from the outset. The event teams clearly put a lot of thought into their storylines, and the artists do a really beautiful job with the event artwork. Why isn't that same effort going into the mechanics and structure to make the players happier?

My Beta city was in a position to build the Woodelves settlement well over a month ago. I started building it yesterday. Part of this is on me; I was sick with some horrible cold for a lot of December and pretty out of it, and I didn't want to sell off all my pretty buildings from the last event, and I could have done that differently. I take responsibility for that. But even so, my city still has very little extra space available, and I had the choice of putting in any extra event buildings and building my settlement up. I don't think this is a reasonable choice to demand of players.

I also completely agree with @Aramina that we shouldn't have to be in a constant state of readiness in case an event pops up, especially not after one of the longer events. It's sort of the gaming equivalent of always living out of your suitcases in case you have to make a run for it, and for a lot of people, that's just stressful.

DeletedUser2002

Soggy, I don't recall any other event in the almost year I've been playing that has called for FIVE provinces to have been scouted in a 7 day event. You shouldn't have to keep scouted provinces waiting for an event. Every other event had the quests that require large sums of relics fall on days the tournaments were on, which was fair to the players. The quest line for this event is far from fair if you know in advance the quest. A player that doesn't know about Gems of Knowledge is just flat out of luck with out spending diamonds or exhausting all instants. I'd rather use my instants on speeding up Portal site construction and other guest races buildings to increase productions.

SoggyShorts

But here's the thing Soggy,
Wow did you ever misread my tone.:( I was by no means trying to lecture you, or trying to make you play "my way". Many players complain about the events being too close together, and I'm simply sharing an option that works. I'm sorry if I replied with advice instead of agreement, that might be a character flaw of mine.
You seemed to be one of the players who didn't like spending all of December on quests and then jumping into the next event-- perhaps I should have said "you're right, that sucks" but I felt it was more helpful to show a way to avoid it since inno isn't likely to cut down on money generating events.
I'm not saying that it's a great quest design, I'm only pointing out that there is a way to make events easier for yourself while you wait for changes to the quests (or frequency of events)that may never come.
BTW, I'm very surprised that you are under the chapter minimum and have all red provinces, I wasn't aware that was possible, my mistake.
Soggy, I don't recall any other event in the almost year I've been playing that has called for FIVE provinces to have been scouted in a 7 day event.
This one doesn't either, you only have to solve 12 encounters, that's 1.5 provinces, not 5- You know you can use the entire tournament for the gain relics quests, there's no need to exaggerate how many provinces you need. Considering that there is a "scout" quest, that takes care of 8/12 meaning you only need half of one province more.
You shouldn't have to keep scouted provinces waiting for an event.
Why not do it though? What difference does it make to keep 2 open? Unless those are the last 2 you need for an expansion, who cares? How big an impact will 16 relics, 2 runes, and 16 KP a couple of days earlier make? Just wait a couple days. By choosing to be be behind in province clearing just a tiny bit you will make every event easier on yourself.
It's not perfect, but the option is there.
. Every other event had the quests that require large sums of relics fall on days the tournaments were on, which was fair to the players.
So does this one. 7 day long event, and 5 of those days have the tournamento_O
Day 1
Spend 1 KP
Buy 1 KP
Gain Coins
Gain Supplies
Bread x 5
Simple Tools x 25
Beverages x 40
Bread x 20
Day 2:
Gain 18 Relics (tournament)
Acquire 200 Troop Units
Advanced Tools x 10
Spend 18 KP
Buy 16 KP
Gain Coins
Acquire 300 Troop Units
Gain Supplies
Produce Tier1 Boost 9hrs x 6 productions
Day 3&4:
Produce Tier1 Boost 3hrs x 10 productions
Produce Tier1 Boost 24hrs x 4 productions
Scout a Province
Day 5:
Solve 12 Encounters
Upgrade 4 buildings to Level 5
Simple Tools x 30
Basket of Groceries x 13
Day 6:
Gain 20 Relics (tournament)
A player that doesn't know about Gems of Knowledge is just flat out of luck with out spending diamonds or exhausting all instants.
Not true. I didn't use instants, and I didn't have spoilers, and I finished in just over 24 hours. It is absolutely possible to do it in 7 days, even without advance notice. Perhaps a brand new player who doesn't ask for any advice or help might have some trouble, but I'm guessing with 40h scout times that shouldn't be you.

Last edited:

Dony

King of Bugs
It is absolutely possible to do it in 7 days, even without advance notice.
i agree with this, this is one of the easiest event if not the easiest event we have had where almost all quests can be done with regular gameplay without focusing on event with few trade offs.

DeletedUser2003

Many players complain about the events being too close together, and I'm simply sharing an option that works.
Si, I get that, that's why in my first post I wrote..
All of that has always been considered good and reasonable advice, but in this case coming right off of the winter event, some of that is just...well...NOPE
Usually I, personally, am ok with doing the things the events ask of us, but this one, for the individual rewards and the final prizes? Not so much. And I had to say "NOPE" when I got here:
Buy 16 KP
I don't know how others feel about this, but I don't ever buy 16 kp at 1 time, unless an event is calling for it (not regular gameplay for me). IF they would reverse the order of the spend/buy quests I might not mind as much (but I'm not silly enough to think that's gonna happen). I bought the mandatory 40 kp for the Winter Event, and solved encounters for much of the 83 total that were part of the optional "solve encounters or buy kp" quests, but when all my available scouted provs that were left were scary mean colors, I had to buy the kp for the last 2 of those quests. To see that "buy 16" more for me was a deal breaker, and that is where my Questie Dude shall most likely sit. I buy kp when I need to unload some coin from a full piggy bank. I just started Orcs. Mr. Piggy...he not so full right now.. :eek::oops::p

(p.s. In all 3 of my live worlds where I am finished with the tech tree, patiently waiting for Elementals, my kp cost is over a million coins or many thousands of goods. I'm just trying to avoid that here too, as much as possible..)

Wowwie

But they do. You've said you need x% of players to finish halflings before you can launch Elementals, and the events are designed in such a way that they slow players down:

I was 3/4 finished with chapter 10 during the winter event, and just finished the chapter before the event.
I was on my way to becoming one of the 3% of players at the end of halflings so that they can release Elementals
Now instead of building halfling farms and fields, the "smart" thing to do is to delete the 3 farms I made overnight to make room for more level 1 workshops.
A further delay of progress of at least a week for this event. Even worse, it's a 2 part event, with probably some time in between, so do I place farms, or put my city on hold until I finish the SECOND part of this event? 3 weeks?

I've said it for over a year now, quests should either encourage progress or reward you for progress you have made.
"Upgrade x buildings of type y to the max(that you have unlocked), or have z buildings of type y maxed."

I kick butt in all events, but between the 4 majors, 2 FAs and all of the mini's I've held back my cities for about 14,5,8 days on each.
I really adds up for a player who also wants to progress along the tech tree. I'm guessing that I've put my city on hold for a total of close to 90 days in the past 12 months for events, and I don't think that the prizes I've won have helped me along even close to that.

If the quests in events actually helped my city instead of putting it on hold, I'd be at the end of halflings today.
So would a lot of other players, and you could have released elementals by now.
Well Said totally what a lot of players are feeling

DeletedUser1665

I feel the bottom line is events are coming at us too close together and at a pace that makes a lot of people loose interest in the game.

Also what is the point of winning a building set if the developers are going to change the value of what they give 3-6 months down the line due to balancing problems that they didn't foresee?

Don't get me wrong I truly enjoy playing the game but I have also grown tired of retro changes which have all happened in the past year.

SoggyShorts

In all 3 of my live worlds where I am finished with the tech tree, patiently waiting for Elementals, my kp cost is over a million coins or many thousands of goods. I'm just trying to avoid that here too, as much as possible
Yeah, I get it- there's not much to be done on the player end about this now. I try to tell newer players to pick a resource, and only use that one for events. For example I never buy KP with tier 3 except during events, so my costs are very low in that category. Coins is getting up there(970K), but as long as my Mainhall can hold more than the quest asks for, the buy KP quest doesn't bother me. Especially at the end of the tech tree I'm just putting KP into wonders anyways, so buying 16 in one day is no worse for me than buying 4-7 every day.
Those quests have been made even easier with fast visits and the coin instants.

edeba

Chapter 3 in beta now and I've been working on this quest and I'm not sure that I am going to be able to complete it before the time is up. I think I'm toast if I don't manage to get to to the last quest for 20 relics before the tournament ends. I only have 5 provinces open for the tournament. The cost of goods to do this is way beyond my capacity to produce goods. Training 300 troops took me a while as well. I think I get the provinces open for the relics, but not at all sure I get the resources to complete for the necessary relics.

I think this event is very time short for lower level players. I did not realize the time was so drastically tight for this level and it seems to me what I needed to do was put off trying to get expansions, but that would also give me an even tighter place for goods.

I have been trying on this event and I think it is too tight of a timeline for lower level players. I am not so interested in this prize for my main game, but my lowly beta account could use the prize and it is looking really tight as to whether I make it. That just seems poorly designed overall, so be so not caring one way or another where it is probably easy to get the prize (high level game) and for it to be potentially out of reach where I'd like it (low level game.)

SoggyShorts

Chapter 3 in beta now..... only have 5 provinces open for the tournament......I have been trying on this event and I think it is too tight of a timeline for lower level players.
Now this is a valid concern.
It would indeed be difficult for a very young city since they don't have enough provinces for the tournament. The easiest way might be to use your fast scouts and hopefully a nice FS member will help you clear them.

DeletedUser2002

Soggy, your logic is warped. Game developers don't plan events to be completed in a day or 2. They gave 7 days for this event and made gaining 20 relics the last quest. They PLANNED for us to need to get the relics on the last day. I'd bet when they go live, the last day of the event is a TUESDAY. Had that been the case for Beta, I would have been able to finish. The only 2 ways to get 20 relics for the last quest, is 1) as you said, have provinces waiting to be solved, 2) Finish the event before end of Tourney Saturday. Not all players CAN play everyday or even every other day to finish events early. Inno dropped the ball with the last quest requirement.

DeletedUser2002

Also Soggy, I wasn't exactly shirking doing quests
Monday I did 1-8. I had to stop at 9 (Gain 18 relics)
Tuesday at tourney start I did 9 to 16. Had to stop at 17 ( 9hr tier 1 goods)
Wednesday 17-19
Thursday 20 (Scout a province) but I have to wait until Saturday for another province to get the last 4 encounters for Quest 21
I can do 22-23 Saturday also
24 is 9hr workshop productions that would be complete Sunday morning
Then I'm stuck needing 20 relics on a Sunday and Monday with 1 province ready monday morning unless I use multiple time boosts to get a second and hope for 4 relics in neighborly help chests.
And as I've said prior, I'd rather use the time boosts on Guest race portals and Guest good buildings because the rewarsds for the event aren't worth the expenditure.

edeba

I can do the relics with the tournament or provinces, it is just the amount of goods required. I can't battle the provinces anymore and goods cost has gotten into this range that it takes me a couple days to make enough enough to clear one province. I've gotten a few uneven trades in my fellowship and also cross tier trades for tier 1. I guess I will do an estimate of what I need and see if I get help. And then I'm also tech locked for needing goods.

Now this is a valid concern.
It would indeed be difficult for a very young city since they don't have enough provinces for the tournament. The easiest way might be to use your fast scouts and hopefully a nice FS member will help you clear them.

DeletedUser1163

Please game devs, give us at least a few weeks to recuperate and fix up our cities after an event before giving us another event. I noticed there is another "Solve 12 Encounters" quest. Those who have overscouted, have only Hard Difficulty Provinces to solve encounters in and are not up to the Orcs Chapter yet, will not be able to complete this quest, unless they spend diamonds.

If you're in earlier chapters and want to complete this quest to solve encounters because it's close to the end of the event, you'll be scouting two more provinces. If I was starting out in Elvenar again, I would not scout any provinces until I receive a quest to do so. If you can do this, then you won't find yourself facing the problem I am facing because of overscouting.

SoggyShorts

Soggy, your logic is warped. Game developers don't plan events to be completed in a day or 2.
My point was obviously that if I can do it in a day, then others can do it in under 7.
It sounds like you got close. Did you start a scout as soon as you saw there was an event on Monday? You said you have 40h scouts, and there is way more than 80 hours from Monday to Saturday., meaning you could have had 2 provinces open long before the tournament ends.
Not all players CAN play everyday or even every other day to finish events early. Inno dropped the ball with the last quest requirement.
Please show me how you would balance an event for both players that play twice a day, and players who "can't even play every other day.":rolleyes:

For virtually every player(especially experienced ones) this event is 100% doable. It takes a combination of planning, activity, and possibly help from your FS. If you don't have a lot of those, then it requires instants, or diamonds. Imo that's pretty fair.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Honestly when advanced players complain that event quests are too hard, and there's not enough time,

If you only scout when you need to unlock a chapter soon, or for events, your scout times will be nice and quick, so events should be easy.
I don't want to do that, I want expansions, so I explore when I feel like it.
I totally get it. Did you keep a couple of scouted provinces open since events are running almost all of the time?
Negative. That's not my style.
Ok, no problem. Since you have explored more than we balanced for, you should have lots of space to use for buildings that speed up the event, right?
Nope, I used all the space for guest race buildings.
Of course, no worries- you can just use some of the instants we gave you to help you along.
No can do, I used em all.
I see, well that might make it more challenging, but if you plan ahead and make a few extra log ins you should still be able to get by.
No go there either, I have other things to do.
Well, it's hard for us to accommodate you and still keep it challenging for other players, so maybe you can sit this one out, or if you really want the prize you could spend some diamonds.
What a rip off! You guys have no idea how to design an event, and are just a bunch of greedy diamond pushers!

iblameyou.jpg

Last edited: