• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

New Game Features Revert button for redesigns

DeletedUser651

It would be great if there a button where you could revert back to your original design once you start moving things around. I know all of us here have had a good idea in mind, started moving buildings, and realized that our plan won't work. Or, you have something you just want to try and not necessarily stay with. Anything that makes designing more fun and easy should be a good feature for a city building game.

So, my suggestion is a revert button whereby you can revert back to your design that you had before you started moving things around.

DeletedUser283

wouldn't it be necessary to set a starting point for this function ?
or it would have to be "undo last change", repeatable ?

DeletedUser651

Either or. It could be a revert to one hour ago...or you could manually set a point...or just undo last change repeatedly.

That last one might be the easiest for the players, but I don't know about from a programming standpoint. Or just a revert to the last change since you signed in? I think I like the undo last change repeatedly the best. But whatever everyone likes the best.

DeletedUser283

whatever solution is chosen, it will be memory intensive at server level, because all moves will have to be kept (probably since last refresh of the game) so that they can be undone :)

now to be honest, I am rather in favor of this idea, although I cannot foresee its usefulness, having never played a game with such a functionality ;)

DeletedUser867

We have this sort of functionality in Excel Spreadsheets, so it's technically feasible.

I can visualize something like a MANUALLY initiated city state check point, but all of your coins/supplies/goods would have to be reset as well.

It's an educated guess, but it's likely that the cities already exist in a server cache that's written off to permanent storage every few minutes, because when the "server crashes" we'll usually lose our recent activity.

I'm not even going to guess about the granularity of the database, but if abandoned cities can be removed, one at a time, there's obviously some way to make it happen. On the other hand, simply picking up an isolated city and moving it elsewhere on the World Map ( to a location that has the same one of the nine unique combinations ) appears to be extraordinarily difficult.

Checkpointing gets REALLY ugly.
  • For example, if you placed a trade while your were experimenting, and somebody purchased it, WHAT HAPPENS??
    Could you exploit the checkpoint to generate free goods?
  • For example, if somebody buffed your Main Hall while you were experimenting, WHAT HAPPENS??
    Could you exploit "buffing your Main Hall" and thereby allow somebody to buff your Main Hall over and over and over?
The list gets complicated in a real hurry, and the benefits are negligible.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser118

I'd say, as interesting as this idea may be. Its way too complicated cuz there are too many things you have to think of when turning back. The devs probably don't want that as they want you to think about every step you make.

DeletedUser283

... which is the core activity of a city building game ;)