• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Release Notes version 1.65

Marindor

Dear Humans and Elves,

Please see the Release Notes of our current game version here and let us hear your thoughts about it in this thread!

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Beta Team

Elrondriel

v1.65-(bbc1076fa)-(feature/nblicke/ONYX-23923-upgrade-onyx-docker-image-to-debian-stretch master) (2018-10-05 13:11)

Really ? :D

DeletedUser1681

This sounds like a feature not a bug-- Does this mean that a sort of global chat is possible with the current system?
Way way back when they were getting ready to introduce fellowships etc. the developers said that they had made a decision to go for fellowship chats rather than global chat - I don't know if the system back then was only able to handle one kind of chat. Whatever the technical opportunities or challenges were then or are now there's always that pebble in the shoe of any chat - moderating. Fellowships are kind of self-moderating, global chat needs "official" moderators.

When it comes to a global chat I myself think there might be a benefit in finding trades (especially now when sentient goods are global), or getting quick answers to questions (actually forum works quite quickly now). But there will be just as much useless twaddle drowning anything sensible... also trolls would appear in matter of days.

Would I vote in favor of global chat - ummm!! I might not, seen enough of pointless ones. Having said that there ofc no need to open a chat if it annoys you.

SoggyShorts

But there will be just as much useless twaddle drowning anything sensible... also trolls would appear in matter of days.
A few channels such as
Help
Trade
General
and some sort of report function should do the trick.
Even general 1-5 has worked for many games. Eventually, they organically get sorted into topics.

Maybe it wouldn't be all that great, but I think that Elvenar needs more. More everything, more quests (not that mind-numbing cycling garbage) more achievements, more anything.

Lovec Krys

For those in favour of global chat.
Do you realize that most likely messages would be written with much more pace than you can read them?
There are days when you have hundreds of messages in ONE fellowship. Now imagine, that with all players.
I simply think that with global chat most players would simply ignore it (even if it was several separate chats).

SoggyShorts

Do you realize that most likely messages would be written with much more pace than you can read them?
I'm not so sure about that. I've played many games with a much larger player base that don't seem to have that problem.
Each server has what, 30,000 players with scores above zero? How many of those are active(actually active, played more than 3x per week)maybe 20%? The last tournament had 5K and 6k players with a score over zero on my worlds.
How many are online at any given time, (like really online, not just with a tab open)maybe a few hundred?
How many of those are prone to chatting? maybe a few dozens at a time?

Look at the forums- everyone has access, they are a great resource for information and yet it's the same few dozen players who regularly post, and when a big change comes or an event we get another 50-60 tops with 1 or 2 posts from each.

Dony

King of Bugs
i doubt there will be any global chat anytime soon, every market has its own forum for this purpose which is even moderated

iDavis

We already have a forums, providing much more ways how to communicate, interact with other players. Compared with this, I think there is no reason to create a global chat.

SoggyShorts

i doubt there will be any global chat anytime soon, every market has its own forum for this purpose which is even moderated
We already have a forums, providing much more ways how to communicate, interact with other players. Compared with this, I think there is no reason to create a global chat.
That's like saying we have the browser version of the game so there is no need for a mobile version.

Seriously, what % of players use the forums? IIRC @Marindor once said it was less than 0.02% of players. A global chat where players could feel more involved in the game with each other might be a good thing.

Also, it's not like you can easily have both the game open and the forums on mobile. Not to mention the fact that mobile players who are not in a FS are completely cut off from other players since they cannot open mail on mobile-- A global chat might go a long ways to keeping new players who discovered the game via mobile interested.

iDavis

@SoggyShorts sorry, but browser and mobile version are completely different topic.
Could moderators post official announcements in global chat, to inform players about recent changes? I think, they couldn't. Could they create discussion topics to have a space to collect feedback for developers? I don't think so. Could players using any searching tool find a question asked several weeks ago in purpose to not to ask the same questions again? The same answer again. Instead of that, nothing else like mass of question asked again and again would be there. In my point of view, there is not any sense to create something like this.

Karvest

Chat is not for that, it is realtime communication, where you don't expect to find anything old enough to get out of chat scope.

SoggyShorts

@iDavis
Real-time chat without having to close the mobile app does make sense and could be useful.

The biggest advantage to having a global chat is that new players would have a way to connect to the community. I'm sorry, but telling them to close the app and open the forums in order to interact with the 20 players who actually use the forums is a joke.

Actually, we don't even do that- I just checked the app, and unless you go into settings, and check the bottom tab "help" you wouldn't even know about the forums at all.
So a new player finds the game in the app store, and has no FS chat, no global chat, no knowledge that forums even exist, no messages.
Zero interaction with other players in a game that advertises as being an MMO.
I think this is a significant reason for players joining and then quit in the first 20 minutes.

Last edited:

iDavis

I understand you, but I'm afraid that 0,02 what has Marindor mentioned, would be reduced even more, after creating a global chat.
And from technical aspect, imagine how it would work - our current chat for 25 people works terrible, I cannot imagine thousands of people trying to join.

SoggyShorts

I'm afraid that 0,02 what has Marindor mentioned, would be reduced even more, after creating a global chat.
Perhaps, but I think they would serve very different purposes as you yourself pointed out above.
And from technical aspect, imagine how it would work - our current chat for 25 people works terrible, I cannot imagine thousands of people trying to join.
This is the real argument against global chat- Inno devs simply aren't capable of that level of programming. The fact that it takes over a year for things like FA quest cycling and Royal Restoration implementation is proof enough of that.:(

Deleted User - 86059

Heyyyy are you trying to get me sacked??? I'm going to cry in a corner now :(

Heymrdiedier

This sounds like a feature not a bug-- Does this mean that a sort of global chat is possible with the current system?
the bug was that you could still see the chat of a fellowship you just left, after you joined a new one. Nothing feature about that :)