• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Release notes version 1.151

CrazyWizard

The problem is, as Kayelessa pointed out, before you had a choice to decline to build the Barracks quest, Now you don't have that option until you complete the chapter.

It would be nice to give the players an option at the beginning to select one of to quest lines.
line 1: you build all military buildings and become a fighter.
line 2: there is more focus on making and trading goods and you become a pacifist.

With both lines you get some advice to build the right wonders for your kind of game and you get an explenation WHY you need to build the armory (ch8 orcs)
There is no "option" to become either a fighter or a caterer. you are always both. in the past in the present and in the future.
This arbitrary "self proclamation" is in the mind of the beholder. not in the game.

The game assumes you do both, not 1.
Thats why you get a mandatory quest to build in now and in the past and thats why it's a base building you cannot delete.
Quests, events, FA everything is based around being able to do both.

Dorfl the Clay

The game assumes you do both, not 1.
If you opt for one or the other, you learn the hard way (like I did). Being the pacifist as I am, I started playing Elvenar because I thought I would manage without ever having the need to fight... boy was I wrong! Goods can't be made fast enough to cope with the need and catching up with the necessary Ancient wonders (Needles, Monestary etc.) took ages... now found the balance!

Enevhar Aldarion

If you opt for one or the other, you learn the hard way (like I did). Being the pacifist as I am, I started playing Elvenar because I thought I would manage without ever having the need to fight... boy was I wrong! Goods can't be made fast enough to cope with the need and catching up with the necessary Ancient wonders (Needles, Monestary etc.) took ages... now found the balance!

There are some 100% caterers on the US servers who complete the Spire and get around 8k points in the tournament every week without ever fighting.

Prueba2

There are some 100% caterers on the US servers who complete the Spire and get around 8k points in the tournament every week without ever fighting.
I really would like to know how they manage to do it...
At this point any advice would be welcomed (except the typical "sell all that and go 120% military"...)

Last edited by a moderator:

CrazyWizard

At this point any advice would be welcomed (except the typical "sell all that and go 120% military"...)
Low level accounts exploit the broken formula.
Thats the only way to do it.

Prueba2

Sorry, I do not know to whom I should address this.
Thanks for the correction and excuse me for my EDIT, I did not know the exact stiffness of how the Forum Rules where applied, it was not an attempt to circumvent them.
Sorry for the inconveniences again and thanks for the warning.

CrazyWizard

Some of them, yes, but one player I am thinking of is well into the guest race chapters and still doing that well.
City with few expansions? ain't the city "feeded" by another city?

Untill mana you can get away with it. mana is usually the real blocker.
The trick is to game the formula and make sure your pay is cheap.

This can be done in a few ways, for spire it's keeping relic bonus low, for tournament is keep your expansions few. and keep wonders at bay, for a negotiatior? keep it as close to 0 as possible. if nessesary and you are screwed by mana, get a dragon abbey and thats about it.

as a fighter keep it small and keep wonders to a minimum needed for fighting.

This is my planned city on 1 of the worlds.
Technically I could get those scores in my chapter 13 city as well, but I am to bored to push a lot of goods to manage those scores.

Ill bide my time, 2 more chapters and I am invincible :p

This is what it wants to become:
1653365228297.png

I really dread the last bit of the elvenar chapter that needs to be done, I am still considering if I will or will not skip that little bit.
Portal + academy + workshop is a massive portion of my city
1653365454644.png

currently at the Amuni so I have still some time to go

Enevhar Aldarion

@Marindor Is this still where we are supposed to post issues with the changes to chapters 1-5 and the new quests? If so, this one is a bit odd.

Screenshot (100).png

My little test city is right at the end of chapter 5 and this is one of the new quests. While it is meant for chapter 5, the only way to complete the map expansions part is to either be in chapter 6 and complete the first city expansion research or complete 4 more provinces than is needed to unlock chapter 6 advanced scouts research. This is minor, but making players go beyond chapter 5 requirements to complete a chapter 5 quest is still not good.

Laurelin-Beta

[...] making players go beyond chapter 5 requirements to complete a chapter 5 quest is still not good.
Unless the Spire/Tournament Formula is revised into something which [in reality, not just in PR announcements] always rewards rather than deters City progress of several types, asking players to place ANY Expansions via an in-game Quest - a device which most players will expect to teach them the wisest way to play under all circumstances - is not good, in my opinion - and only more so because (unless at least some indication of how the Formula works has now been included in the Tutorial and/or early Chapters?) very few new players, and few enough existing ones too, would ever expect that increasing one's building space in a game which markets itself as a City-Building Game could have ANY detrimental effects at all.

Whether or not one falls back upon the still-contentious [and not universally demonstrable] argument that 'ALL City progress will always generate a benefit greater than the detriment which the Formula's effects entail', it's still verging upon dishonest, I feel, to [continue to] fail to explain those detrimental effects upfront, via a clear in-game method, before players make irrevocable changes to their City which they may regret in future - most notably the placement of Expansions, which carries considerable weight in the Formula, and which cannot later be reversed.

Most players never read game Forums, and nor should they have to, simply to learn about such a fundamentally influential in-game mechanic.