• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Tournaments] Reduce Tournament encounters

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoggyShorts

Summary
Reduce the 4 encounters per province to 1 encounter to make it less tedious.

Description:
Simply remove the first screen that pops up when you open a province (the one where you choose 1 of 4 encounters) and open up a single encounter instead.

Motivation:
With the clear push towards players participating more in the tournament (the addition of the RR spell, the timewarp wonder, and Fire Phoenix) there should be a corresponding reduction in tedium. Doing 80 encounters per day doesn't add anything to the game that a player wouldn't still get from doing 20 encounters. Also, there are simply not enough hours in the day to make manual fighting a viable option with the current set up.
There was a fantastic change long ago when we went down from 8 encounters to 4, and I believe we are ready for the next step.
Obviously, catering costs and squad sizes should be quadrupled so that balance is maintained.

Possible downsides:
Players who use the tournament for fighting practice will have fewer cheap battles. Catering costs and needed squads would all quadrupled and have to be paid at once.

Bonus:
JOHNNY.png

Credit to @soleil for this image

EDIT: The encounter should be of "average" difficulty from the 4 simply by randomly choosing one.

Last edited by a moderator:

edeba

Great idea. 4 seemed great as a reduction from 8. But maps are bigger, scores are higher, and it needs a reduction...

Could also modify it in a way that the first page has 4 per province, the second page 2 per province and from the 3rd page on it is 1 per province.

For me, I'd really like the 1 encounter per province, but I think for the newer accounts the 4 might be better. It does give the ability to practice, but also just to play.

I can see interest in the tournament declining in my live group. Everyone digs in, but the repetition is showing signs for declining interest.

Reducing would definitely increase the competition from actually doing the battles instead of auto-fighting. Soggy is totally correct that people do not have time to manually battle. I think a better quality of competition would come from enabling the manual battle by making it manageable, which would be 1 encounter per province. It isn't manageable right now because of the time demand.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I'm afraid that they will make it harder to get 10th chest if anything is changed in tourny. o_O

SoggyShorts

I'm afraid that they will make it harder to get 10th chest if anything is changed in tourny. o_O
A possibility for sure, but something has already changed in the tourney- Phoenix+timewarp+RR.
Even if the tournament got 10% harder, I think it would be easy to convince my fellows to do more with a 75% reduction in clicking time required.

CrazyWizard

I don't like this idea at all, 10% more difficulty results in a lot lot less reward.

It might not sound as much 10% but on 30-35 provinces it's a lot

Heymrdiedier

if this is implemented, id probably do a lot more manual fight, which would probably result in more time spent :p

but i like it anyway, more manual means less losses (i assume)

DeletedUser2713

This is a great idea
I do over 500 tournament fights every week and I really don’t have time to do them manually
The only problem I see, if there are four times fewer fights, the size of squads will therefore be multiplied by four, therefore the fights on provinces 35 or 40 can be done almost only manually otherwise the losses would be enormous in case of unfavorable terrain

I still validate +1

DeletedUser

While I don't do tournaments, this is a good idea (to show exact costs) but my guess is you'll end up with a lot more losses. Losses were spread out over 4 encounters now it will be 1. I think Crazywizard is right these might become harder. Which encounter would Inno choose to be the 1 encounter you battle to save time? My guess - the hardest one in each province.

mrossnyc

I agree with these proposed changes. I have grown my city to a point where I can go further into the tourney, but the downside is that I don't have time to do as many manual battles as I would like. I lose a lot of troops and goods each week due to auto fighting and catering just to get the desired rewards. So the tourney is now less about actually fighting and more about clicking buttons.

SoggyShorts

but my guess is you'll end up with a lot more losses. Losses were spread out over 4 encounters now it will be 1. I think Crazywizard is right these might become harder. Which encounter would Inno choose to be the 1 encounter you battle to save time? My guess - the hardest one in each province.
That is an assumption based on nothing.

DeletedUser

If you think they will give you the easiest of them then you'd just use auto-fight. Manual means it's harder and you'll lose more units then you are now. I'm all for this change.

SoggyShorts

If you think they will give you the easiest of them then you'd just use auto-fight. Manual means it's harder and you'll lose more units then you are now. I'm all for this change.
Again, the reduction from 4 encounters to 1 has NOTHING to do with difficulty.

DeletedUser2817

One of the things I like about tournaments is that the fights are smaller so I lose fewer troops on Auto Fight. Having fewer encounters but larger troops sizes would benefit those who manually fight but not be good for those who Auto Fight. As it is, in early rounds I can Auto Fight with very limited troop losses. Increasing the size of the opponents would eliminate this. I know you are saying you don't want to increase the difficulty, but just because of numbers and rounding, when using Auto Fight, smaller squad sizes lead to less losses over four smaller fights than if you combine all the troops into one fight.

If this were implemented, I would suggest it be implemented only for later rounds (perhaps 4 and higher) of the tournament when more people might manually fight or cater anyway.

DeletedUser

I'm not even in an fs and see that Crowella and Crazy wizard gets this. If you have 4 encounters and lose 100 units in the first, 200 in the second 100 in the 3rd and 400 in the 4th, which encounter do you think inno will choose to make it less tedious? The easier ones? Highly doubtful. Most likely the 4th one, now quadruple your losses.