• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Ranking issues

Heymrdiedier

I lost over 20% of my score when I switched to orc nests and wonders to get more supplies, making my city better than it was.

So you lost maybe 20k points from destroying workshops and replacing them with orc nests. This resulted in a huge culture excess right?
All those extra cultural points are potential ranking points if you just spend them. Build some armories (requires lost of culture) till your at the same level of culture as before, and you will see your ranking points will be a lot higher then before you trashed the workshops.

Having high score means you did your best to end up with almost 0 population, 0 culture and 0 empty space. This has always been like this since the beginning and i see no point in changing it. Event buildings change nothing at all in this. Most of the event buildings like most culture, dont need road connection -> saves you maybe 3 squares per building on roads -> more room to build something else that does give ranking points.

Highest ranking points is supposed to be a puzzle, how do i get an extra building in when i rearrange my city. having free space is not puzzling at all.

In fact inno actually do reward players who have a more efficient city. If you can produce more goods or units in the same or less space, you can end further in the tournaments, meaning you get (more) ranking points that way.

SoggyShorts

Yes, replacing residences with event, and workshops with orcs nest& wonders gave me more space and culture(the culture boost makes up for the loss in coins from res)

You are saying that to gain in rank I should use that space for more rank-boosting buildings.
I am saying that since I am producing the same, I shouldn't have to produce even more just to catch up in rank to a city that I'm already better than.

Highest ranking points is supposed to be a puzzle, how do i get an extra building in when i rearrange my city. having free space is not puzzling at all.
This might be true for the top 1% of players, especially at the end of the tech tree waiting for a new guest race, but for the other million players that still need to get through the guest races, space is a precious commodity best used for progress.

It would be totally self defeating for me to fill an extra 15 expansions with residences and armories for the sole purpose of rank. I don't believe rank should in and of itself be the goal, but rather the side-effect or reflection of your progress/ability to progress.

Heymrdiedier

I think we can agree that we disagree :). Id love to see more peoples opinions but there doesn't seem to be any other opinions coming :)

how i see it: there are many playstyles in this game that can give you a feeling of you're doing good:
highest ranking
most beautiful city
highest goods production
highest unit production
best tournament player.
highest fellowship ranking
most wonders maxed

personally i dont think all these thing should be combined into 1 playstyle (highest production means highest rank).
Just pick what you enjoy.

lika1961

For me the conundrum is that since I don't fight at all it makes no sense to have military buildings. So, unless I build more production facilities (which I don't need), I will always have a lower rank. Since this is supposedly not a fighting game, the fact that I don't have these military buildings should not count against me. And yet it does.

I have no way of making up the difference in ranking points and in a game where we are now being told that space utilisation is the trick, there is no way of remedying this. It is not logical to me that I should have to do certain things that are not appropriate to my style of city building purely to address the ranking issue. However you look at it though, it is not right that I have to settle for less because I choose not to fight.

DeletedUser1596

Id love to see more peoples opinions but there doesn't seem to be any other opinions coming

Recently the rank shows how many accounts you can run simultaneously. Why does it matter if a building gives you any r.points? Under different circumstances this would be an interesting discussion, but now it's pointless.

SoggyShorts

I think we can agree that we disagree :). Id love to see more peoples opinions but there doesn't seem to be any other opinions coming :)

how i see it: there are many playstyles in this game that can give you a feeling of you're doing good:
highest ranking
most beautiful city
highest goods production
highest unit production
best tournament player.
highest fellowship ranking
most wonders maxed

personally i dont think all these thing should be combined into 1 playstyle (highest production means highest rank).
Just pick what you enjoy.

THAT is an excellent idea. I would love it if "ranking" was separated into different ranks. Although "beautiful" would probably be impossible.

For me the conundrum is that since I don't fight at all it makes no sense to have military buildings. So, unless I build more production facilities (which I don't need), I will always have a lower rank.
I feel your pain there, armories give buttloads of RP. Although technically, in order for you to accomplish the exact same as someone who has both goods and military you do need more goods than they do.

Elderflower

Don't know if anyone here knows the answer, but about 10 days ago our lowest ranked member - who does play but very intermittently so we still keep them in the FS - suddenly lost all their ranking points and went from about 918 to 0. They hadn't changed their city at all except for one residence which was being upgraded. They now have 24 ranking points. Did something change in the game? My own points didn't alter unexpectedly and I don't think anyone else's did in our FS.

Preator

@Elderflower seems like a bug.
Have a look at the breakdown of their ranking points. The total points should be 942. The difference is exactly 918.
hhmBpnH.png

Heymrdiedier

Don't know if anyone here knows the answer, but about 10 days ago our lowest ranked member - who does play but very intermittently so we still keep them in the FS - suddenly lost all their ranking points and went from about 918 to 0. They hadn't changed their city at all except for one residence which was being upgraded. They now have 24 ranking points. Did something change in the game? My own points didn't alter unexpectedly and I don't think anyone else's did in our FS.
i think that means the player has been inactive for 3 months now and now qualifies as being deleted.

Elderflower

Goodness. So they just got back into the game in time to prevent that. I'll message them to let them know. Thank you for the information