• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Quests Quest overhaul

DeletedUser651

But I can ignore the fight 3 quest forever and it has no impact on me except that I have to keep clicking past it. With your system I only get so many repeatable quests each day or week or whatever time period and then they are stopped until the next period. The quests stop. If the fight 3 is one quest out of 35, then I am giving up 1/35th of my bonuses each day. If the fight 3 quest is one out of infinite I give up nothing.

And after you have surpassed the number of provinces needed to unlock the next chest, then the "fight 3 quest" would change to "Research advanced scouts."
How would that impact you in any way?

Because I won't get to an "advanced scouts" to research for months and months and months. That entire quest line will stop until I get there. You said it would be non declinable. So the entire quest line sits there. Doing nothing for me. I am blocked out of all those quests. Now, the fight 3 quests can be declined and ignored. It has no impact. I am not blocked from getting a new quest because I am ignoring it.

You say you are months from getting the next advanced scouts tech, but aren't you also months from being able to fight an win anyways? Don't these two line up pretty perfectly?

Not even close. I can decline the fight 3 quest and it has zero impact on me except to click past it. If the quest is non declinable then it blocks all other quests from coming. It is a cork in a bottle.

There are (or should be) many ways to play the game, and by taking the different paths and splitting them up among different advisors players will be able to focus on or ignore whichever ones they wish.

IF I have unlimited quests as I do now I can ignore whatever I want. If I have a finite number of quests I can no longer afford to ignore things. I lose out on coins and supplies forever if I do.

All you have done is give people the option to get fewer coins and supplies each day. And you can only get the bonuses if you follow a certain path. You have to first collect the troops, then the coins, then the goods, and set the goods so you can collect them for a second time later in the day or however it all plays out. But you MUST do the quests in a certain order or you lose out because once gone, that quest is gone for good for that day or week or however long the time period is. Even if the quests repeat in this daily or weekly loop, they only repeat in that order once.

Pick a few quests as a test and see it for yourself. Imagine we have these quests in the loop that only repeats once a day:

gain 24 goods production
upgrade houses
gain coins
gains advanced tools

If I come in in the morning the first thing I HAVE to do each day is to collect my 24 hour goods and reset the factory. If I don't I lose out on those bonuses forever. If I wanted to collect my coins first that would be stupid wouldn't it? So each day all I can do is collect the factory, collect the upgraded houses (if I had any of those) and then gain the coins and then collect the workshops. In that order, each and every single solitary day. If I choose to decline and collect the coins first then I won't get the quest for the gain 24 hour goods production until the next day/week or whenever the quest line recirculates.

I won't be able to do the military quest line because I am waiting the months before I can research another advanced scout, so that quest line sits there and mocks me each day.

I don't care how many quest lines you have going, you still have a FINITE number of quests to choose from as opposed to an infinite number of quests to choose from and finite is less than infinite. Currently I have infinite numbers of paths to choose to gain bonuses, with your way I have a finite number of paths to gain bonuses. Infinite is infinitely more flexible than finite. If you can't get understand this in theory then test it out. Try making a bunch of your own quests and see it for yourself. Set up a little pile of quests. Set up 5 piles or however many advisers you want. Then see what happens. As soon as you run out of the quests in the loop you are done for the day, so declining one has a daily cost. Now, declining a quest does not have a daily cost since I can go back and do that quest any time I please later in the day. I have not declined it for the day, or week, or whatever time period you have set. If I want to do that quest I must do it in the order it appears or I can't go back to it for some time period. That is LESS flexibility than being able to do it at any time I want as long as I click enough.

It seems like you are intentionally missing the point of separating the quests.
Snarky. Nice. It seems you are unintentionally missing the consequences of your system.

SoggyShorts

Imagine the Military Advisor ONLY has a few quests

Scout a province
Fight 3 encounters
Kill 100 Orc generals
Kill XXX YYY
Kill ZZZ QQQ

But, once you have cleared enough provinces to open the next chest he only offers the "research advanced scouts" quest.
This would not stop you from doing 90% of the quests, since they are under OTHER advisors.

Someone in your situation would be locked out of nothing that you were going to do anyways. Maybe the scout one every 3-4 days if you are still out expanding as far as you can, but that's hardly game-breaking. If you aren't able to fight on the world map you wouldn't care about quests that require you to fight on the main map.

Ideally we would go from having 20 quests on a loop to 100 or so split into a handful of quest lines. They could refresh once a week, once a day whatever works. If the rewards were good enough you wouldn't have to loop infinitely to get the same results.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1767

Ideally we would go from having 20 quests on a loop to 100 or so split into a handful of quest lines. They could refresh once a week, once a day whatever works. If the rewards were good enough you wouldn't have to loop infinitely to get the same results.
In addition, you would have the ability to do more than two questlines in parallel, if you wanted to, rather than having to do one at a time in a linear, sequential fashion, because what happens with one advisor/questline doesn't have any impact on what happens with the others. It works just like having the additional event questlines. In the current system, if you want to do the 24-hour production quest, you don't have the ability to get any other quest rewards at the same time. But in Mykan's system, you could decide to do one of the 24-hour production quests, and then while you've got that running, you could also do, say, a tournament quest, and reap the rewards for both. That's much more efficient than a single linear loop.

DeletedUser1548

You all have your point. It makes sense, etc. BUT after more than a year of declining quests over and over I want them gone.
Better workshops (or not if neighbourhood would work better) + player movement + NH improvements + story quests + event once every 3 months and I am happy.

DeletedUser1596

Scout a province
Fight 3 encounters
Kill 100 Orc generals
Kill XXX YYY
Kill ZZZ QQQ

I would like this to be a single quest. It would take a while to complete, but I would expect better reward. Something like +2RP, +200Orcs, +500 random units, +10% gold and hammers for 24h.

SoggyShorts

I would like this to be a single quest. It would take a while to complete, but I would expect better reward. Something like +2RP, +200Orcs, +500 random units, +10% gold and hammers for 24h.
Ahh that's a nice twist. Maybe the military advisor could alternate between that quest and
  • train 100 archers
  • train xxx yyy
  • train zzz qqq
  • etc (also all in one quest)
So it would go back and forth between prep and combat

DeletedUser1596

That would actually make sense. It would even be more interesting and rewarding... which means: it's not gonna happen.

DeletedUser1767

@Urvalsandal @SoggyShorts
It might be best to have a few less complex quests mixed in there too, since not everyone will want to do the full sequence (and then people who want the complex sequence could skip those), but wow, I really like the idea of having multiple-step quests like this! It's almost like a mini-event. Maybe some of the other advisors could offer some complex chains too? The 24-hour production quests would feed "post X trades" pretty nicely.

Also, @Mykan, what would happen if a person had an incomplete quest when the timer resets? Would they lose their progress, or would the quest just count towards the new time period? If there were some complex chains of quests, that might happen a lot, and it would be a shame if the progress was lost.

DeletedUser1906

I really like this idea. It would take some work to figure out the right sequence of quests and other details. But they are details. THe main idea is more accessible quests in a window that includes advisors to separate quests by type. This gives me an option to leave alone certain quest types and go through quest types that I find more suitable for what I am trying to accomplish in my city at the current moment. Why wouldn't I love a quest to collect 24hr goods, when I am working on an event quest that asks for 5x tier 1 24hour goods? I can see many situations where this would be awesome. Like quests lines that give me something to achieve while I am trying to build up Guest race goods. Options are always a good idea. Clicking through decline-able quests I never do is tedious. On top of all that, you can go through the quests as you like on your own schedule and at your own pace.

DeletedUser1657

I really like this idea. It would take some work to figure out the right sequence of quests and other details. But they are details. The main idea is more accessible quests in a window that includes advisors to separate quests by type. This gives me an option to leave alone certain quest types and go through quest types that I find more suitable for what I am trying to accomplish in my city at the current moment.

Precisely, the heart of the suggestion is multiple quest line options. Everything else is details.

DeletedUser3208

Wonderful. But almost three years have past already. Is there a clear vision when this can happen? The quests are good, but the way we choose which one quest to do: there isn't such option. Declining a quest and after that confirming that decline i think is not the right way to choose a quest you want to do. So this is the major problem selecting a quest. For every player it is a good feeling when a quest is completed, but if you want to do that quest again you need to decline and confirm decline all other quests. Even if you want to do some other quest different form the current one you need to decline and confirm decline again. I will say it again Declining is not a way to select quests. This a big issue for the players. And if you have the ideas make them priority.