• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Please fix the combat system

DeletedUser209

I know that this is not a bug and you intended it to be like that, but it's just wrong.

I just had a fight where my 4 remaining golems (I got beaten pretty hard) died to 3 enemy archers. And after that enemy is back to full strength while I lost half of my army. This is ridiculous. Many people already said that the combat system is wrong. It's more than wrong. It's terrible.

DeletedUser236

I agree that the combat system is broken.

• I would like to see them fix the damage dealt when an enemy stacks loses troops. This makes the fight more fair and it makes the fight more logical and strategical. I don't want to need to focus on a stack with only 3 archers in it because it will do damage as it's 97 archers..
That said;
  • The number of enemies should be more balanced as well.. It's not that bad for me right now, but I know later on you'll get massively outnumbered.. So the enemy stacks should be reduced and the number in the stacks as well so we have a shot at victory again (this goes hand in hand with fixing the damage though!)..
  • Furthermore I would like to see some change in positioning of your own army as suggested in some other threads, this (again) will make the fights more about tactics and you get a chance at victory..

At this time victory is kind of exclusive luxury, please fix this major issue..

DeletedUser126

Duno, in the end they will do what they want to do, even if it dont make sense to anyone else, I saw that happen to many times :p

DeletedUser345

same here,worst aspect of game,don't know why they bothered with damage info of units when 1 can make same damage like 100,ridiculous!

DeletedUser

+1. This "feature" is not fun, it's not exciting, it doesn't make sense and it's confusing for new players. Either get rid of it completely or, like SirReal mentioned, meet us somewhere in the middle.

DeletedUser

In the heat of the argument we should not forget that our own stacks, just like enemy stacks, are also quite effective even when decimated. In that sense, the combat rules are fair -- they do not afford any advantage for the enemy.

DeletedUser118

That might be true, but it still doesn't solve the problem we have with fighting. Something has to be done, we're loosing way too many troops if it stays like this, and that might also mean loosing players too. Which is something we cannot really afford, seeing how bad the situation is with neighbors help for example.

DeletedUser345

the combat rules are fair -- they do not afford any advantage for the enemy.
That is true but it still ruins fun cause it all comes down on how big your squad is,not the strategy on battlefield or anything else....

DeletedUser486

Once you get past the idea that the AI has an endless supply of troops you'll begin to see that in this game, you don't wear down the opponent like in other strategy games. Instead you have to advance the research tree to increase you unit strength and squad size. You'll also begin to notice a strength of a unit against an opposing AI unit and mix your offense accordingly. I think that's the way it is and probably going to stay that way.

DeletedUser867

That is true but it still ruins fun cause it all comes down on how big your squad is,not the strategy on battlefield or anything else....
"There is nothing more common than to find considerations of supply affecting the strategic lines of a campaign and a war."
- Carl von Clausevitz

DeletedUser236

Instead you have to advance the research tree to increase you unit strength and squad size. You'll also begin to notice a strength of a unit against an opposing AI unit and mix your offense accordingly. I think that's the way it is and probably going to stay that way.
At a certain point advancing in the research tree doesn't make any difference for your fights; you're simply outnumbered and because strategy doesn't play a big part in the fights (except for choosing the right troops against your enemy) you don't stand a chance..

The fights are doable (read: with severe losses) till a certain point, after that you simply can't win it with the current combat system :(

In the heat of the argument we should not forget that our own stacks, just like enemy stacks, are also quite effective even when decimated. In that sense, the combat rules are fair -- they do not afford any advantage for the enemy.

Agreed and that's why I proposed something in the lines of "the number of enemies should be more balanced ... " and "make the fights more about tactics ...".

DeletedUser

The problem then, is that the enemy strength scales infinitely, and not that damaged units still deal most of their damage. That contributes to the problem, yeah, but it's not the main problem. There either needs to be more ways to make your squads more powerful, or a limit added to how strong enemies will become.

DeletedUser

I believe our advanced units (Mages and later) should wield more powerful magic and abilities, like maybe Blind.
Units 3 and 4 are quite weak, they don't add anything to the basic ones (infantry + archers).
Or why not give the hero (the player) magic spells, eh?
If you've played Heroes of Might and Magic or King's Bounty, you'll know what I mean.

DeletedUser

I believe our advanced units (Mages and later) should wield more powerful magic and abilities, like maybe Blind.
Units 3 and 4 are quite weak, they don't add anything to the basic ones (infantry + archers).
Or why not give the hero (the player) magic spells, eh?
If you've played Heroes of Might and Magic or King's Bounty, you'll know what I mean.
Actually, HoMM was the first thing I thought of when I started this game. lol The way units work, some unit types, etc.

Some more magicky stuff would definitely be cool. Would I would like to see are different specialization upgrades for all of the different units, except it branches off. For example, maybe a sword dancer that can either become an anti-melee or anti-ranged, or maybe choosing between like an ability augmenting defense or offense.