• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Offending players in chat/What can be done?

Hello,
I also play on Polish servers. And I am the founder (archmage) there in fellowship.
There was a recent situation there - one of the players was insulting me and other players in a very uncultivated and uncensored way. He doesn't play with us anymore.
It can't even be translated.

In brief:

This player has placed offers for sentient goods with the merchant.
Very unfavorable offers, as always.
He put up T3 (alloy shrooms) and he wanted: T1 (elven tree gum).
Nobody took them.
Which angered him, he began to curse and threaten that he was not playing anymore.

I reacted to it.
That if they were offers from one group, they would have been accepted long ago.
And that he has to stop shouting in chat.

What his reaction ....
He challenged me with the worst curses he could invent.
And he threatened me that I was lucky not to be standing next to him, because ...
you don't want to know what he would do to me.

My question is:

Can anything be done about it? Such a player? Can he just keep playing? offend people? Maybe we can all treat and offend each other with impunity?

I thought that we are bound by the regulations that we all accept when creating an account.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lovec Krys

By my opinion this kind of issues are solvable without the help of support. No need to bother them (they are players who don't have this as their jobs, so they can use they time for better issues).
It is always possible to kick such player from FS, or change FS myself.

Alcaro

just expel that player right now and then block him if they keep messaging you. I would do it in the very next second after posting offending messages, no matter if were addressed to me or any other fellow.

EDIT: if the answer isn't what you expected to be, just ask to refer your ticket to a Senior moderator.

SyreArca

Ex-Team Member
My question is:

Can anything be done about it?

Hi @maja21122012
We are sorry that this has happened to you.
As @Alcaro said, you can expel the player.
Should they contact you through messages, you can block them right away by doing the following:
-Go into a message that the player has sent to you.
-Click on the "!" button (on the app, you can click on the player's avatar in the message and a "report" button will appear)
-From there, a pop up window will appear asking you to send a description of the situation.
This will be added to our records and you will no longer receive messages from this player's account.
Hope this helps!

(Reminder that this is an English only server and we cannot allow any discussions or postings about support tickets or in-game bans directly. Thanks :)) Forum Rules

Alcaro

Hi,
Just boot and block. Then get on with your life and forget about them.
Easy to say than done. It happened to me too, several times, but I will never forget the very first time when I cried and couldn't believe some people can be so disgusting and mean. Then I remembered that ppl in game are the same we meet in RL and RL is full of good people, helpful people but plenty of low people. Next times, I just expelled those guys, throwed a tantrum behind the screen and then moved on. :D

PrimroseSylvia

Several months ago (maybe a couple of years) in IT server we asked in Suggestion Thread to create a way to submit offensive chat the same way we can report messages (similar to The West, they can report both chat and messages) because there were a few players who wrote the worst thing in chat knowing that there no one can report, and Support can't do anything about it because they can't receive direct warning :(

Dorfl the Clay

My question is: Can anything be done about it?
Threats and/or swearing (in chat or any other place in the game or here on the fora) is always unacceptable... When players misbehave like you described in FS where I play, they always get kicked out. After that, I always make a point to keep an eye on which FS they join next and warn the mages concerned on who they have just let into their group... apart from that (and the tips mentioned above on on blocking his/her messages), there is not much else you can do!

Last edited:

salandrine

as far as I know, there must be a possibility for "Inno" to check the chats, because it could happen that there are "politcal incorrectness" or something else.

Otherwise chats in games would be a ideal place for conspiration.

CrazyWizard

as far as I know, there must be a possibility for "Inno" to check the chats, because it could happen that there are "politcal incorrectness" or something else.

Otherwise chats in games would be a ideal place for conspiration.
Chats are private(closed) and for the fellowship, you can talk whatever you want and wish there, it's your fellowship, you make the rules. it's up to the fellowship to moderate it.
You don't like it, leave the fellowship or kick those members.

The email system is different, this is open to everyone and therefore you have the report button for messages.
These are the ones thats are moderated. the downsides of schreenshots is that they can be manipulated so thats most likely the reason they have te report function.

So I doubt moderators will/can do anything about screenshots of fellowship chats. unless you confess to murder someone or something insane like that I'll guess in that case they might contact the police. but then again it's just a screenshot. (and I advise you to contact the police yourself in that case instead of support)

Laurelin-Beta

CrazyWiz is right... curtailing freedom of speech isn't acceptable just because we're not talking face-to-face... in fact, quite the reverse.
And if we don't like the behaviour of those who have voluntarily joined the groups we voluntarily run? We are free to voluntarily remove them.

Censorship by any kind of 'overseer' is always a bad thing. ALWAYS. My signature refers... it's an old quote, but more relevant now than ever.

The main reason why people even feel free to (a) push others into becoming upset, and (b) react by suggesting broader censorship by 'officials' (elected, appointed, voluntary, whatever) is because the less easy it is to identify the speaker, the more BOTH effects will occur - it's Human Nature. Here's another relevant and also old quote [probably not 100% - it's from memory - but good enough], from another equally wise author:

"If you want a man to tell the truth, first give him a mask to wear" ~ Oscar Wilde

And another one (original author unknown, it's so ancient & well-proven) : The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. That's the freedom of ALL.

CrazyWizard

CrazyWiz is right... curtailing freedom of speech isn't acceptable just because we're not talking face-to-face... in fact, quite the reverse.
And if we don't like the behaviour of those who have voluntarily joined the groups we voluntarily run? We are free to voluntarily remove them.

Censorship by any kind of 'overseer' is always a bad thing. ALWAYS. My signature refers... it's an old quote, but more relevant now than ever.

The main reason why people even feel free to (a) push others into becoming upset, and (b) react by suggesting broader censorship by 'officials' (elected, appointed, voluntary, whatever) is because the less easy it is to identify the speaker, the more BOTH effects will occur - it's Human Nature. Here's another relevant and also old quote [probably not 100% - it's from memory - but good enough], from another equally wise author:

"If you want a man to tell the truth, first give him a mask to wear" ~ Oscar Wilde

And another one (original author unknown, it's so ancient & well-proven) : The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. That's the freedom of ALL.
Freedom of speech does have it limits and should have it's limits.

Expecially in the age of keyboard knight spouting the worst things on the internet doesnt make the world a better place. combine that with lovely algorithms that just focus on serving as many ads as possible and you have the current world where many people are brainwashed to think dangerous chemicals are awesome agains covid for example.

Where in the past media outlets where keen enough to make sure dangerous people do not get a lot of airtime we now see the rise dangerous movements due to no/limited moderation and the creation of twitter/facebook/youtube bubbles where the internet is weaponized.

An innocent example is flat earth theory. a fringe thing in the past 100 years where now many people believe it because of these bubbles.
Propaganda is very effective, and everyone knows that. if something is said without much counters in your little world you believe anything.

We all know also example for example where a person is called for example a cheater without proof. if I would say I think your a cheater and post this 1000 times on the beta forums, I will bet that some people will calling you out calling you a cheater as well and really believer you are one. the truth doesnt matter.

I grab this example as others are these days often politicised which is not allowed to be discussed on this forum.

So censorship is not always bad. it depends on the platform and the type of censorship.

Laurelin-Beta

@CrazyWizard : Your latest comment surprises me - but then again, as is so common on the Net, none of us really knows each other - do we? ;)

I can't agree. My signature refers - and suffices - and is of particular note, too, in recent years - but I'll elaborate a bit, anyway (because I'm me!)...

While this particular Forum isn't specifically intended to cover this particular topic of discussion, if Free Speech is even to have any meaning beyond being a convenient 'soundbite', then there should be NO forum of discussion, of any type whatsoever (in the original Roman meaning of the word), online or elsewhere, where speaking freely, without fear of censorship, is not the absolute norm... so-called 'limited freedom' is an extremely dangerous oxymoron, and one man's 'fringe theory' will always be another man's 'truth'. 'Knowledge is power' implies free access to it.

There are valid laws to define & prevent the ABUSE of Freedom of Speech, but there should never be any laws intended to curtail freedom itself.

I'll rely on Benjamin Franklin to speak for me on this : "Those who would sacrifice essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". This is often misquoted, rephrased, or abbreviated, recently, but those are Franklin's words... with my own bold emphasis.

Furthermore, the cry of 'But it's for the common good!' has been, is, and will always be the false justification of ALL tyrants, seen or, worse, unseen.

And because quotes DO so often say it better than I can, here is yet another fine (and nowadays very relevant) example :

"Who does not learn from History is destined to repeat it." ~ ancient, and attributed to many different authors. The first act of the tyrant is always to remove, or 'self-limit' (worse), the Freedom of the Press - i.e. published speech - where such even exists, since it's far from universal even now.

We are all limited by our perception of Reality... and the Net is merely a communication tool. Social Media, though, is a new & wholly different beast.

Finally, you've mentioned the Freedom of the Press in recent years, so this - found on the British National Archives website - might interest you. There is indeed no form of censorship more poisonous, more powerful, or more insidious than self-censorship... the proliferation of which, most notably online - that brave new frontier which, before Net 2.0 arrived in 1998, promised us ALL so much more, not less, freedom - frightens me.

No more to say... if what I've said this time even remains here as written. I certainly hope it will.