• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

City New type of ground (fillers 1x1) with useful properties

Dibaton

I'm absolutely in love with this game and the designer's works. You create a lot of awesome buildings and objects. But I have a mess in my city on the live server. Buildings overlap each other. Many beautiful objects merge into a mess.

I can leave empty spaces between objects but I'd like to create both a beautiful and functional city.

I ask you to add a new type of 'ground' to the game, maybe with some useful properties (+ culture or mana or...).
It could be like a road - the minimal area 1x1:

Meadows - different patterns with grass and flowers (maybe with random changes when placed).
Shrubs
Trees
Field
Desert
Rocky surface
Lava

Or something else, what your imagination will prompt

So the users could arrange the ground around the buildings. Your creations will look more advantageous in the cities

Last edited:

edeba

I think it is a great idea to give 1x1 options that have value that is as good as event buildings that can be used to create an aesthetically pleasing city. It would be great to start adding 5 or 10 packs of these 1x1 buildings in events for the players that enjoy making their city pleasing to the eye. But, a big problem with small buildings is they are a huge waste of teleport spells to put away, so they should be free to put away.

I would like simpler buildings. I might want more population, or mana, or seeds, and not need or want others of those, so these 1x1 buildings could be a choice of say 4 items, just population, just culture, just coin, just supplies, just mana, just seeds, just unurium, just goods, etc. The buildings could have a different sets of 4 choices each.

Given that with all expansions there is now 4225 squares in the game, I think 10 packs of the 1x1 prizes would be in order or you'd never get enough to decorate. There are already 1x2 and 2x2 that could be used for decorating, but the biggest problem I find with having too many of those is the teleport cost is way too high. 4 5x5 buildings can be put away with 4 teleports, but it would cost 100 for 1x1, 50 for 1x2 and 25 for 2x2 and none of those are feasible. The 1x2 should be free teleport as well, and maybe even the 2x2.

Bor de Wolf 1965

On the outskirts it would be fine as Alcaro said but inside the town it becomes an other space filler cultural item that people keeps forgetting when building up their city.

edeba

On the outskirts it would be fine as Alcaro said but inside the town it becomes an other space filler cultural item that people keeps forgetting when building up their city.
I think you are lacking imagination on how this idea would need to be implemented. I think the free teleport on it would be essential.

Every game I've played there is a market of players that enjoying making a city that looks nice. One game I played every new chapter there were several players you'd just visit to see what they did with the new pieces. My issue with them was that they weren't competitive pieces that helped the rest of your game. And you would have to have the free teleport just to get them out of the way when you rearrange your city, or they would be impossible.

The culture build tab leads to a lot of filler junk in the game that is mostly not worth building for free and very expensive to buy, and really, not much to really decorate a city. I know of players here that have tried to decorate and they hang on to pieces for 3 or 4 chapters because they fit a theme, but nothing is upgradeable there, so I think there is a market for this within the game.

Bor de Wolf 1965

As I see it, the higher you get in chapters the more room you need for your settlements area.
This means that you need to squeeze every possible room out of your town and you will be looking for what you need on buildings and streets.
If you do it right, there won't be much waisted space left to put flowers in or some grass.
Transmogrifying your wonders or the outskirts of town would be fine but more useless area eaters, no thanks.

Ajqtrz

As I see it, the higher you get in chapters the more room you need for your settlements area.
This means that you need to squeeze every possible room out of your town and you will be looking for what you need on buildings and streets.
If you do it right, there won't be much waisted space left to put flowers in or some grass.
Transmogrifying your wonders or the outskirts of town would be fine but more useless area eaters, no thanks.

I do think you are right that higher up players may find space at a premium...but not everybody plays for the guest race/tech tree. Some do, in fact, play for the aesthetics. And they would, no doubt, get more enjoyment out of using the space for beauty than progress. In any case those who are in the higher chapters and wish to press on to the next, don't have to use these buildings so they would lose nothing or very little.

Just my thoughts off the top of my head. I could be wrong.

AJ

Dibaton

I proposed not only decoration but decoration with useful properties (+ culture or mana or...).
Do you remember Mana Plant or Gum Tree? It required only 1x1 but was very useful. I only ask about a more simple design (more flat) to emphasize taller buildings.

I think you are lacking imagination on how this idea would need to be implemented. I think the free teleport on it would be essential.

Teleport? For a while, we played without the teleport opportunity at all...
I'd be happy if this small 1x1 object (different types of ground) appears not as an event building but as a designer tool or as an 'ordinary building' in some chapters. Then you don't need to be afraid to delete this object.

From my experience, those players rarely reach even dwarves.

Really? Look at this.
People in every chapter try to build beautiful cities. It can be just a small part, but with some creative idea.

4234.jpg

Last edited:

edeba

I proposed not only decoration but decoration with useful properties (+ culture or mana or...).
Do you remember Mana Plant or Gum Tree? It required only 1x1 but was very useful. I only ask about a more simple design (more flat) to emphasize taller buildings.

Teleport? For a while, we played without the teleport opportunity at all...
I'd be happy if this small 1x1 object (different types of ground) appears not as an event building but as a designer tool or as an 'ordinary building' in some chapters. Then you don't need to be afraid to delete this object.

Really? Look at this.
People in every chapter try to build beautiful cities. It can be just a small part, but with some creative idea.

View attachment 9886
It really is a good idea and there has always been a niche of people who like to decorate. Indeed, these are the people that appreciate the graphics the most. My issue with it has always been that it is usually undervalued per square for the items and then you can't get what you need, hence my suggestion with making a selection that give you a choice of what they are, and you can switch them as you need to. And, the teleport thing just doesn't work with 1x1 pieces.