• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

New Game Features New Traveling Merchant with Sentient Goods

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoggyShorts

Presumably it will be implemented, INNO finds everything good that you place uselessly in the city and take up space, you can also chase a total of 3 more buildings through the academy, which prevent you from getting something more useful. Congratulations
If it's an upgrade to the exisisting buildings, then no recipes are added to the MA.
Also, it really depends on how much they'd produce on a per square basis, so calling them useless is premature.

Jammin

If it's an upgrade to the exisisting buildings, then no recipes are added to the MA.
Also, it really depends on how much they'd produce on a per square basis, so calling them useless is premature.
They will produce so much, that you would rather want a Chapter 17 Wonder :)
It may really be that these buildings are of use to someone even the normal traveler traders. If the city is lacking in population and / or culture, such a building or several can fill the gap, but they are far from being good.
This is just my opinion
In addition, everything that goes through the academy and is not a tournament booster in the respective slot is an obstacle.

SoggyShorts

but they are far from being good.
This is just my opinion
Why use opinions when facts are available? ;)
Take the production from the traveling merchant, and divide it by the size.(don't forget to include the road)
Take the size of the sentient goods factory, plus the residences it requires plus the roads and maybe culture
Now compare the 2.

Everytime I've run the numbers it actually comes out surprisingly close and they can be very useful if you want to increase production by less than a full factory-- also it's instant instead of upgrading a new building for days and days

Add seeds into the above calculations and an upgraded TM becomes even more enticing and could rival a factory.
In addition, everything that goes through the academy and is not a tournament booster in the respective slot is an obstacle.
possibly, but again, the TM is already in the MA and simply changing the chapter 15+ versions to make T4-6 would not effect how many tournament buildings show up as crafting options in any way whatsoever.

Jammin

Well, there are convincing arguments.
As mentioned, these buildings can be useful for a style of play. However, these buildings do not have a production bonus, do not benefit from certain wonders and do not allow themselves to be enchanted, and they have to be restored as if there weren't enough that had to be restored.
Oki if the normal traveling trader gets an upgrade the academy won't be blocked additionally, I think that's good.

Maillie

Presumably it will be implemented, INNO finds everything good that you place uselessly in the city and take up space, you can also chase a total of 3 more buildings through the academy, which prevent you from getting something more useful. Congratulations
Are you kidding? Today in Winyandor there are SEVENTY-NINE PAGES of trades for Platinum. Let me repeat that. There are 79 pages of trades for Platinum. We need 350,000 platinum for ONE SINGLE TECH and very few have it. The rest of us are stuck in the tech tree. I can find plenty of reasons why a 3x2 Traveling Merchant would be useful, whether everyone playing Elvenar needs it today, tomorrow, or whenever. :)
2020-11-16 (2).png
2020-11-16 (3).png
2020-11-16 (3).png

SoggyShorts

@Maillie considering the pros and cons of adding more buildings to the MA, and there being virtually no downside to altering the existing ones instead, perhaps that idea would get better traction with the developers?

Maillie

Oki I'm already quiet =)
It's always good to voice an opinion, it's how the developers see things through our (the players') eyes. Just be sure that the comments are relevant to the chapters that you know. All chapters have their own impediments.

I recently lost another Page One player. No one wants to sit in a tech tree unable to make what they need, unable to buy what they need, and unable to trade for it. Even if the Traveling Merchant doesn't pay a tremendous amount it makes one feel as though they are moving toward achieving a goal. Right now players are not moving toward anything but finding a new game. No one wants that to continue :(

Alcaro

I never was impressed by Travelling Merchant but Festival Merchant it's another story.
I am confused now. I never saw in MA a recipe for Travelling Merchant, only for Festival Merchants.

edeba

I never was impressed by Travelling Merchant but Festival Merchant it's another story.
I am confused now. I never saw in MA a recipe for Travelling Merchant, only for Festival Merchants.
I don't think the original traveling merchant was built properly considering the 800% bonus production, so I think it was great for beginner cities, but quite useless past maybe chapter 4 or so...

SoggyShorts

I don't think the original traveling merchant was built properly considering the 800% bonus production, so I think it was great for beginner cities, but quite useless past maybe chapter 4 or so...
Are you sure? It's been a while, but when I last compared a factory with its culture, population, and supplies requirements the goods per square per hour were surprisingly close between traveling merchants and factories.

iirc the real downside was that there was no way to upgrade them and being able to replace them was uncertain at best (before RR & crafting)

Last edited: