• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

New Researches: "Neighborhood" and "Fellowships"

Rill

I haven't seen any mention (other than in threads of other topics) of the new added researches "Neighborhood" and "Fellowship."

This appears to be something that Inno is testing. My beta city has this feature. Basically you can't give neighborly help (although you can receive it) until you complete a 5-point "Neighborhood" research that is positioned between the researches for Armory/Trader and Advanced Residences. You cannot view or join fellowships until you have completed a 10-point Fellowships research, which is positioned after the Advanced Scouts research at the beginning of chapter 2.

This has the effect, among others, that players cannot participate in tournaments until chapter 2. It also means that really small cities can't benefit from advice and chat in fellowships (or I guess be misled by bad information in fellowships).

It is a bummer for me because I love creating tiny cities with the smallest possible footprint (right now my beta city has 7 total expansions, 6 original plus one, and I'm trying to put all the possible functional items in it).

I can see it would discourage people from trying to game the tournament system by feeding a chapter 1 city beaucoup resources and having it gain massive tournament points while costs are small. It would also prevent people from creating new accounts solely to compete in FAs (since you have to build them at least to chapter 2). Are there any other possible benefits that you can think of? What are the drawbacks?

Karvest

Chapter 1 city can't really gain massive tournament points due to small main hall which limits amount of provinces that can be scouted. Chapter1 city for FA is even more useless.

Aeva

I guess making it a tiny bit more difficult will prevent some newbies to start a city, join a fellowship and then abandon the whole lot in a week or so. I can see how annoying it is for smaller FS to have to deal with those kind of players.
And I guess it is a good idea to squeeze two 'teaching' research so small starting cities will immediately start to give neighbourly help and join a FS as soon as possible. Many newbies would benefit from this and stay longer in the game instead of giving up in chapter 2 or 3.

Rill

@Aeva those are really good points. I do wonder whether it will cause newer players to build more non-boosted factories because they can't get people to trade for their goods. The boost is really small in the beginning so maybe it doesn't matter that much, but already you see quite a lot of cities that have level 5 factories of each tier 1 type that are then abandoned.

Aeva

They run into all kinds of trouble if nobody picks them up and helps. That is why everybody should join a FS in chapter 3 and not wait.

Aeva

I personally do not like to pick up 1 and 2 (not even 3) because they do not yet know what they are in for. But if it's a second city it's fine.

SlyLady

It is out of testing and in the live worlds, too. I started a city a few weeks ago on a US server and ran into the same thing. There is a work around for the fellowship issue (for now) as you *can* join a fellowship before you have researched if you are sent an invitation.

Looking at it from purely a new-to-the-game player, I think making these items into a research draws attention to these features in a way that wasn't previously. The perception is of greater value because you have to research them instead of them just being a given part of the game. I actually thought the start-up was smoother and more educational overall, if frustrating to someone who knows how the game can be played.

As a a player with more experience, I'm not sure there is a drawback to making it difficult for a Ch 1 city to join a fellowship. So many just don't stick with it, so it is a high-turnover risk for a fellowship. There isn't a lot a Ch 1 city can contribute *to* the fellowship and any player that is going to be valuable in the long run isn't going to spend much time in Ch 1, either. So, delaying fellowships to early in Ch 2 doesn't seem like it poses much difficulty to either the newbie or fellowships seeking players.

guivou

Chapter 1 city can't really gain massive tournament points due to small main hall which limits amount of provinces that can be scouted. Chapter1 city for FA is even more useless.
my level 1 city has an average tournament score of 3000 and can produce hundreds of gold bags and bracelets in adventure , i think this evolution is to prevent that kind of city
1622042378026.png

Rill

@SlyLady I have an invitation from a fellowship, and I am unable to access it. The entire fellowship button is greyed out. I can see the red flag indicating I have an invitation, but there is no way for me to accept it. I play on the browser; it is possible it is different on mobile, or maybe they "fixed" this workaround.

With regard to worthwhile players not staying in chapter 1 for long, I am taking my time on this city, partly because I'm enjoying the challenge of completing as much of the event as possible in chapter 1. I might be able to stretch it out longer than a week! I will eventually grow into something more like my other city, which gets between 1890 and 2160 tournament points and climbs the Spire to the top. I'm not taking this personally. However, there are people out there who for strategic and "fun" reasons choose to progress more slowly.

@guivou that is the type of city I envisioned.

Karvest

3000 is not "massive". That's enough for 13 tournament chests, but far from the top.
Having ch1 city in FS significantly lowers the chance of getting gold in spire.
As for FA, doubt there would be a big difference between ch1 and ch2 city. gold and bracelets are far from rare badges now, everything is limited by residues, which are hard to get in a good amount without spire.

Enevhar Aldarion

I have always felt that chapter 1 should be purely about learning how to play the game, and then the multiplayer elements be introduced in chapter 2 or 3, as Inno seems to be doing now. It would not surprise me if their next step may be to kick all chapter 1 cities out of fellowships, to make them advance the game.

DeletedUser3726

I haven't seen any mention (other than in threads of other topics) of the new added researches "Neighborhood" and "Fellowship."

This appears to be something that Inno is testing. My beta city has this feature. Basically you can't give neighborly help (although you can receive it) until you complete a 5-point "Neighborhood" research that is positioned between the researches for Armory/Trader and Advanced Residences. You cannot view or join fellowships until you have completed a 10-point Fellowships research, which is positioned after the Advanced Scouts research at the beginning of chapter 2.

This has the effect, among others, that players cannot participate in tournaments until chapter 2. It also means that really small cities can't benefit from advice and chat in fellowships (or I guess be misled by bad information in fellowships).

It is a bummer for me because I love creating tiny cities with the smallest possible footprint (right now my beta city has 7 total expansions, 6 original plus one, and I'm trying to put all the possible functional items in it).

I can see it would discourage people from trying to game the tournament system by feeding a chapter 1 city beaucoup resources and having it gain massive tournament points while costs are small. It would also prevent people from creating new accounts solely to compete in FAs (since you have to build them at least to chapter 2). Are there any other possible benefits that you can think of? What are the drawbacks?

I had these techs when I started my city (in late March I think). I was still able to join a fellowship but did not have a choice of fellowships until I unlocked the fellowship tech. I was able to participate in tourneys immediately.

I share your reservations regarding delaying neighbourly help as this game relies heavily on community participation - basically, without other players you cannot successfully play the game.

I really don't think it's been introduced to close some sort of gaming loophole but rather to teach the value of being in a fellowship and of being a good neighbour... or, if I allow my cynical mind some leeway that Inno has found yet another way to encourage the purchase of diamonds.

Karvest

Just checked on 2 new accounts, created within 10 minutes, one belongs to test_group of elvenar_browser_delayed_social_features, another - to control_group. First one require additional techs, second - no.
Due to test name, I guess accounts created in mobile app won't have these techs.

reinhardz

I managed with another player on ARENDYLL who is still a chapter 1 player to be a member of an FS even though he has not completed the tech in chapter 2. That creates the following problems
1. he does not see his fellow FS members (can not give neighbourly help - but can receive and reply to it)
2. the chatt function is not activated - PM works fine.
That's called a bug a guess?

Last edited: