• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

World Map New mini map, or world map enhancement

DeletedUser778

Today I made me a huge map out of dozens of screenshots, so i can plan my next steps on the world map more easily, since ring 13 will soon be unscoutable due to too high costs and there are still some neighbours and relics I want to discover in that ring.
I wonder why something like a minimap, or more worldmap options didn't been made already since some are forwarded a long time ago that I include too:

Ring highliting:
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/highlighting-the-different-hives.1423/

World map zoom:
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/zoom-out-for-world-map.536/

So I would like to have a map (new mini map, or improved world map) with zoom function, being able to show me the "rings" around my city, highlight specific goods and fields where players can be (since lots of spaces are empty right now and it's hard to see them easy from more far away).

With a menu that would look like something like this:
KwZodmokwWxi.jpg

So the map would look like this:

Edit:
I made a new version with more fancy icons and a table for scouting costs and time, since it would be nice too, because we have nothing that tells us how long the scout would take and it would be nice for planning, especially with the more and more increasing scouting times.
Furthermore I changed the ring colors. Now every 3rd ring is red and the others blue, so if you know your scouted area a little, it is very intuitive to tell in which ring a certain province is. :)

dHIiCB9bLDpO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

...I've no more words to comment this your new masterpiece, LordB: I'm feeling a very little man comparing to you :);)
I believe that Elvenar's team'd employ you 'cause you'd be really useful for developing this game in the best way :D
Written that, this is a brilliant idea! ;)

DeletedUser43

o I would like to have a map (new mini map, or improved world map) with zoom function, being able to show me the "rings" around my city, highlight specific goods and fields where players can be (since lots of spaces are empty right now and it's hard to see them easy from more far away).
How would the selection in the menu, e.g. 'show the marble provinces', show up in the map? :)
And a related question: should you be able to check multiple checkboxes in the menu? I'm afraid that too many icons would have to be displayed on the map then, which makes the map less clear.

DeletedUser778

How would the selection in the menu, e.g. 'show the marble provinces', show up in the map?
As you can see on my map, I used grey circles for marble, orange ones for silk, purple ones for gems and light blue stars for crystal.
I would say coulored circles are are plain and simple so it doesn't look so messy.
Another option would be to just use the existing pictures for the goods, so in the marble provinces for exapmle could be a big mabrle picture.
Or to add more variety I thought of maybe a green tree symbol for planks, a star for crystal, a grey pillar for marble and stuff like that.

And a related question: should you be able to check multiple checkboxes in the menu? I'm afraid that too many icons would have to be displayed on the map then, which makes the map less clear.
Yes of course multiple!
I think most people will be only interested in their goods most of the time, so they mainly have only them checked.
And maybe like in my case (map above) some time others, like I marked crystal provinces too, since they are pretty easy as elf, so they are prevered for scouting ways.
If it gets to unclear one can still uncheck some.

DeletedUser252

Hmm, maybe you have a point there Lauwi, but When you can put a "check" on a possibility or not, you can make the dececion howmany icons you want to see.
Great job you did LordB!
I like it.

DeletedUser778

I made a new version with more fancy icons and a table for scouting costs and time, since it would be nice too, because we have nothing that tells us how long the scout would take and it would be nice for planning, especially with the more and more increasing scouting times.
Furthermore I changed the ring colors. Now every 3rd ring is red and the others blue, so if you know your scouted area a little, it is very intuitive to tell in which ring a certain province is. :)

dHIiCB9bLDpO.jpg

DeletedUser651

That is a work of art! I bow to your genius! Thank you so much for sharing this with us all!

DeletedUser1380

Great work LordB and I think it would be a fantastic addition to the game

DeletedUser1237

I just stopped by in the forum because i encountered the same problems with the world map my next provinces (which good? how far away from home? scout cost? scout time? etc) and i had a very tiny suggestion in mind. Then i discovered your marvellous map !!! The idea of your hexlines is brilliant. So i bring it out in the open again (last comment was in Dec 2015)

****GO FOR IT, DEV-TEAM!!**** It could be used as well to navigate easily during tournament time.

But i think, sooner or later you will run into another zoom-problem depending on the amount of provinces added to your "kingdom". How many zoom-steps do you wanna add? I imagine that it is a huge programming challenge to install zooms.
Either…
A mini-map might help navigation: Central city = yellow dot / conquered provinces = dark green / scouted but not conquered yet = pale green / unscouted provinces = grey / last scout or scout in progress = red dot / displayed main map (your style: color-coded, icons, hexlines, etc.) = a little square in the mini map - for the mini-map thats it --> nothing else in the mini map. This would allow for a limited number of zoom steps for the main map.
The table for scout cost and scout time could be a little menu opening up similar to the Fellowship chat. Same goes for the check box menu for the goods.
Or …
The amount of information displayed could be reduced if you zoom out (first the icons disappear, then every second hexline, then the colour-code, then more hexlines, etc. until mini-map like).

I hope that i explained it in an understandable fashion - could never create such a splendid map/image as yours.