• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Neighborly Help Translations

Bor de Wolf 1965

Just to clarify why I don't read any town name for were to put the return favour in:
Yes I can read and write but I am also dyslexic.
you may correctly read every town name and the return favour request in say 2 to 5 seconds.
it will take me 20 to 40 seconds to get it right and even then I am not sure if what I read is the same as what is written.
so button mashing in the same sequence every time is the best option for me.

Now I wonder how many players amongst us have a similar problem with reading?
And as the language purist that you are (no offence) try to understand how difficult this request you make from me would be if you would suffer from the same condition.

Laurelin-Beta

Just to clarify why I don't read any town name for were to put the return favour in:
Yes I can read and write but I am also dyslexic.
Well, THAT would have been helpful to mention upfront, if I may say so - if only because without explaining why you don't read/follow City Name NH requests, the natural & non-prejudiced assumption on the reader's part will usually simply be : because you choose not to.

it will take me 20 to 40 seconds to get it right and even then I am not sure if what I read is the same as what is written.
so button mashing in the same sequence every time is the best option for me.
Fair enough - but my points weren't aimed at one specific player, but rather at the general idea of [all] players, broadly speaking, giving relevant NH.

Now I wonder how many players amongst us have a similar problem with reading?
The British Dyslexia Association website (which I've consulted, being British myself) states that dylexia may affect 'up to 10% of the population' in the UK, but also says that statistics are very difficult to acquire because many people who don't read well/quickly, for dozens of reasons, may believe they are dyslexic, where they actually are not... and just to make this worse, the website states that about 70-80% of people who ARE dyslexic think their problem is due only to having non-standard reading skills...!!

For what it's worth, though, my own sister is dyslexic, so I have at least a passing familiarity with this, and I myself have a degree of the [theoretical - there's no expert agreement on this] maths-related form of dyslexia which is sometimes known as dyscalculia. But even so - if I, for example, were to post on the Forum stating (e.g.) "I prefer not to read mathematical equations", I'd be sure to add, for the sake of clarity, for any readers, that this is "... because I can't", rather than "... because I don't want to" - only because most people (whatever the precise % may be) don't have the same problem with maths as I do.

Generalised Forum posts don't usually assume that the norm or status quo amongst readers will be anything more than 'average', by and large.

And as the language purist that you are (no offence) try to understand how difficult this request you make from me would be if you would suffer from the same condition.
No offence taken (ever... I am very hard to offend!) - see paragraph above ... it describes my [somewhat similar situation & viewpoint! :)

Thanks for your detailed & interesting reply!