• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Moving Row Upon Row of Buildings

DeletedUser867

I just discovered an unsuspected, but delightfully elegant capability for moving row upon row of buildings.

As you can see in this snapshot, I had to shift half of my city down and to the right because I needed ONE MORE ROW for my housing block.
RowUponRow.jpg
RowUponRow.jpg

To my utter delight, it seems that the code is clever enough to ANTICIPATE my intentions, and I only needed ONE CLICK to move the buildings to the desired location. I DID NOT need to drag and drop the buildings into place. This is a MAJOR convenience, and very elegant.

I'm still doing some experiments, but it appears that the buildings will move more than just one square or one direction, depending on where you click, and on which edge, while the Move State is active.

Several of us were complaining earlier that the program wasn't smart enough to upgrade a 2x2 building when a 3x2 space was pretty obvious, but I suspect it's the other way round. The program appears to be far smarter than I had anticipated.

I looked in the suggestions summary, under both City and User Interface and, depending on how this thread develops, we may want to rescind a few of our complaints and send the programmers a Thank You! card instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser338

You mean you clicked on the edge of a building and therefore didn't have to move your mouse? That's been around for a while.

DeletedUser867

Probably, but it's a definite improvement over the approaches that are available in other City Builders, including FoE.

DeletedUser338

I wouldn't know. Haven't played FoE or anything alike.

DeletedUser

I don't understand either the problem or the solution. Could you please explain it in some other way? I do want to understand. Thanks!!

DeletedUser867

• Empty out a row along the edge of your city
  • Click on the MOVE icon.
  • CLICK on the edge of a building that's adjacent to your empty row
  • The building will jump into position. You DO NOT have to drag and drop.
  • Roadway and small stuff still takes two clicks (from what I can tell)
  • Rinse and repeat.
  • I shifted SEVERAL rows of buildings far more easily than I had anticipated.