• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Most Effective builds for a Goods-city and a Military-city?

RangerOne

What are the essential Wonders and Cultural buildings to best support a Manufactory city?
What are the essential Wonders and Cultural buildings to best support a Military city?

I have 2 cities and want to have a Boosted-Goods city and a Military one. Started both cities as balanced Military/Boosted-Goods, but am getting into Chapters (Dwarves and Woodelves) where I need to focus on one or the other to make the most efficient use of my city space. I have Ancient Wonders but might not need all of them in each city. I get a lot of Population from my Cultural buildings, and Non-Boosted goods as well. Do I need to get rid of some of them, and if so - which ones?

Thanks for your help on this - have tried finding the answers online, but no joy...

PrimroseSylvia

All military related wonders are: needles of tempest, martial monastery/sanctuary, dwarven bulwark, heroe's forge, shrine of the shrewdy shrooms, flying academy, dragon abbey, temple of toads, victory springs, pyramid of purifications, timewarp (but only tournament related), simia sapiens, tournament arena, shrine of the champions, tree of enlightment.
All manufactory related wonders are: mountain halls, blooming trader guild, elvenar trade center, timewarp, simia sapiens, vortex of storage, dragon ark, tree of enlightment.
About cultural buildings, every building/set that produce units or goods (but I personally don't recommand travelling merchants).
But overall, in my opinion there's nothing absolutely wrong or absolutely wright; you just have to see what fits your gameplay style.

Karvest

There is no way to get decent scores in tourney without military way if we are talking about last chapters.
For example, full catering of 50 provinces in previous tourney in my ch15 city would cost me 15.87M T1 + 12.27 T2 + 7.76 T3 + 353.38M coins + 32.69M supplies + 561.5k orcs + 4.83M mana. That's way more than I can sustain with any build I can imagine in my city. At the same time I can easily sustain even bigger scores mostly fighting.

Prueba2

(...) All manufactory related wonders are: mountain halls, blooming trader guild, elvenar trade center, timewarp, simia sapiens, vortex of storage, dragon ark, tree of enlightment.
I would say for Catering city: Blooming Trader Guild, Elvenar Trade Center, Simia Sapiens ... probably Dragon Abbey for Mana..

Enevhar Aldarion

There is no way to get decent scores in tourney without military way if we are talking about last chapters.
For example, full catering of 50 provinces in previous tourney in my ch15 city would cost me 15.87M T1 + 12.27 T2 + 7.76 T3 + 353.38M coins + 32.69M supplies + 561.5k orcs + 4.83M mana. That's way more than I can sustain with any build I can imagine in my city. At the same time I can easily sustain even bigger scores mostly fighting.

Well, your definition of a "decent" score and the definition for about 99% of the other players and Inno are quite different. All 6 stars of 20 provinces is 5400 points. That is a decent score and one that can be maintained every week in later chapters.

Prueba2

Well, your definition of a "decent" score and the definition for about 99% of the other players and Inno are quite different. All 6 stars of 20 provinces is 5400 points. That is a decent score and one that can be maintained every week in later chapters.
I am in chapter 18 , 100% caterer, and I am not doing 20 provinces 6stars every week....
Most points I have done in last monts were 3540 pts in January for 6 weeks, before dropping to around 2.2k

palmira

When mana enters the game, there is no way a goods-only city can make a decent tourney, the amounts needed would be staggering and not possible to sustain even with a maxed dragon abbey. I haven't put my temporaries and fed the birds yet, I will start in a couple hours, and I am at a bit over 3k in tournament just with catering for the event with an ocasional fight when mana is involved. Goods are not a problem but supplies are so you will need for sure ruins and/or the monastery at a decent level just for the culture needed to get a radiant sun and a decent output of supplies. If you want a mainly caterer city you should prepare for some fights when mana or orcs or supplies or even coins are in short supply (and they will be for sure, sooner or later).

PrimroseSylvia

Once you get into sentient goods, mountain halls becomes a lot less useful. A caterer should have it just for the pop and the space that saves in residences.
You're right, but player is at dwarves and woodelves guest races, so at least 3 chapters far away from sentient goods. And we all know that this is (well, maybe should be would be better) an evoling game, so what you need in early chapters you won't need it in later ones.

Alcaro

I think you got plenty of answers regarding Ancient Wonders, there's no need to repeat the same again.
I would like to share a bit of my experience though.
When I started to play this game, I did exactly the same - started a city military oriented (1.) and the second - catering oriented (2.).
At the beginning, with the catering city, all was peachy but came to the point when I needed Orcs for catering and 3 Armories weren't enough, so I've built some more and ended having the same number like the military-oriented-city. Then came the second moment when I realized that I simply can't produce enough goods (and mana) to sustain a weekly decent score in tournament [at that time the Spire didn't exist yet] and I moved a bit towards the military oriented city layout. Things started to move a bit better but by the time the city #2 was almost OK, I realized that there's no way to play completely different styles and be a little bit competitive. The more you advance, the more you are forced to cover all aspects of the game. Bottom line - since I couldn't have a city 100% merchant type, I simply abandoned it even though I was in ch.15 (I think).
On the other side, my main city is also not 100% military oriented anymore. Last chapters need so much settlement goods (and other goods too) that I upgraded Bee Trader to lvl.31 atm, to get more settlement production. Then other non-military wonders went the same road like the Bee Trader.
As you can see, there's a path decided by the developers. You can juggle a bit with the % on how much military and merchant your city will be but you will have to cover both eventually.

Alcaro

I am in chapter 18 , 100% caterer, and I am not doing 20 provinces 6stars every week....
Most points I have done in last monts were 3540 pts in January for 6 weeks, before dropping to around 2.2k
What about the costs in Spire? Are you convincing the spirits or smash them? :D

CrazyWizard

While I do not agree on the concept of either catering or fighting I really miss 1 goods combo.

Sunset tower, prosperity towerer and blooming combines with magic workshops. the millions @Karvest is talkiing about I can get most of that from just using the wholesaler.

@ karvest is thats for 5-6 rounds? unfortunately I can't even imagine having enough with those numbers for a single round.

Karvest

Of course that numbers are for the whole 13.5k points.
note that I'm in ch15 without a lot of AWs and with a bunch of expansions unplaced. My wife in ch19 has x3 bigger costs for the same 13.5k points.
but even for my city - 80k orcs/daily + 8xfull MH storage weekly just on catering without wholesaler + loads of mana... doubt it can be sustainable even if you can afford t1-t3 costs via a bunch of magic WS and wholesaler (it gives much less than in ch19)

Last edited:

Prueba2

What about the costs in Spire? Are you convincing the spirits or smash them? :D
100% caterer, both Tournament and Spire

Spire is costly, but Tournament..., I can not compare with my comrades that battle...
Main issues are Orcs, Mana and Seeds.
Products can be instant manufactured with enough time instants and Sentients can be reduced with maxed Simia, but the above 3... cannot be instant manufactured...
Even if that was not an issue, I do not know if I could produce enough to manage 6k+ points weekly...
There are no Product instants, neither Product recovery instants...

Playing 100% caterer is a whole different game...

Last edited:

Jammin

That's it, fighting is like riding a bike, you need damage, life and troops
Playing 100% caterer is like flying space shuttle, the list is so long the pc would run out of ink.

CrazyWizard

Of course that numbers are for the whole 13.5k points.
note that I'm in ch15 without a lot of AWs and with a bunch of expansions unplaced. My wife in ch19 has x3 bigger costs for the same 13.5k points.
but even for my city - 80k orcs/daily + 8xfull MH storage weekly just on catering without wholesaler + loads of mana... doubt it can be sustainable even if you can afford t1-t3 costs via a bunch of magic WS and wholesaler (it gives much less than in ch19)
Ah that makes total sense. sounds like an acount I am building. but then not as extreme.

Karvest

Nah, my city is far from extreme (there are too many expansions I've placed before tournament changes).
Extreme caterer is just 7 expansions, stopped at Orcs with maxed out BTG. It can sustain top spire+10k+ tourney score with ease, the only problem is very slow opening of the map (not sure how much more than 10k, due to that slowness). Doubt you can achieve same results with any layout if you have orcs and mana in catering.