• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Misty Forest 2021

guivou

much more difficult than last year to navigate in the mist : last year on live server 3 / 3 cities with second building base , this year on beta only 8 artefacts (and with the new portrait before second building, it won't be impossible to have second base , not important because i won't place the building in my city (it will be the first time , so rubbish ... )
and daily reward as always with this event were very difficult to grab, Dr. Freakenspleen was the only above average building

salandrine

My personell claim is, I cant move the candles etc. exactly. its always just, like to steer a spoon through honey.

It is very inconvenient to have to put one lamp back first in order to be able to get the next one. Especially because it is not possible to do all this exactly, it is always very spongy. Why can't Esc be programmed, then getting rid of the lamps would be easy?

Enevhar Aldarion

My personell claim is, I cant move the candles etc. exactly. its always just, like to steer a spoon through honey.

It is very inconvenient to have to put one lamp back first in order to be able to get the next one. Especially because it is not possible to do all this exactly, it is always very spongy. Why can't Esc be programmed, then getting rid of the lamps would be easy?

On the PC, just click outside the map box and it will stop using the light you have active.

ekarat

The shuffleboard gives 100% control over your daily prizes and currency spending.
Shuffleboard 1 : Braindead chests 0

How 100%? I'd like to either hear more or please be given a pointer to the relevant post if this exists elsewhere.

SoggyShorts

How 100%? I'd like to either hear more or please be given a pointer to the relevant post if this exists elsewhere.
What Karvest said above. A 100% guaranteed daily exclusive prize every 16 boxes if you have the worst possible luck.
Realistically you'll average every 8 boxes, and since you can reshuffle immediately once you find it you'll get even more, and then there's the 2x power.

Laurelin-Beta

It is very inconvenient to have to put one lamp back first in order to be able to get the next one. [...]
On the PC, just click outside the map box and it will stop using the light you have active.
Another option (on PC at least - I don't use mobile): if you click on any type of Light Source in the left-hand choices, the light you have in your hand will immediately switch to the new choice - so there's actually no need to first replace (or cancel) the active light and then choose another type. It's also possible to collect any prize from the playing field (Cat, Light Source, or Lost Object) while still having a Light Source in your hand - no need to replace/cancel it first, since the Light Sources don't activate where a collectable item is present, while the cursor itself still retains its usual functions.

The Light Source will also remain active, so you can, if you wish, proceed very quickly, clearing Fog and collecting items without leaving the playing field (other than to change light types). This can save a LOT of time if using up many Light Sources at once, and particularly if 'tunnelling' by using Candles until a suitable place to use a larger Light Source is found, although progressing quickly also makes it more readily apparent (disclaimer: personal experience only) how frequently the Lost Objects return rather disappointing* 'filler' prizes and how rarely any of the Daily Prizes.

* NB : In the case of the 5 x Broken Shards option, which I have received at least three times so far, I'd say more 'useless/annoying' than just disappointing if one already has several ways to obtain these (and especially past mid-game, when they become commonplace), due to the lack of Inventory overflow.

Why can't Esc be programmed, then getting rid of the lamps would be easy?
Even though ESC can be used to close the Event window entirely, I'd agree that it would be even more useful if ESC x 1 were to drop the current Light Source and ESC x 2 were to close the Event window completely. This seems neat and functional and is also pretty intuitive for anyone who's familiar with keyboard-based gaming, and I'm also sure that some players might be wary of the method outlined above for directly switching from one Light Source to another (and again, I don't know whether this even works on mobile).

A couple of more general comments:

I'm new to Beta, so there may have been relevant differences in the Beta version of this year's Misty Forest Event (although not that I've read here?) - but my Live experience of the same Event last year, using the same tactics, was far more rewarding than it has so far been this year. In 2020 I won multiple copies of about half a dozen Dailies and fully evolved the Witch's Hut without needing to spend Diamonds - although I did spend about 500 Diamonds, IIRC, in order to obtain a second Witch's Hut and evolve it to Stage 5, since I considered it an exceptionally good prize for my playstyle... not so much this year's offering, unfortunately. This year, on Live, I've just spent all of the Event Currency awarded by the first 'batch' Quests and all of the Daily Locked Quests, to date, and I've managed only one each of two of the Dailies I tried for and zero of the one on which I've so far spent over 75% of the Currency I've earned. I am also not sure I will even win 9 Artifacts this year, since by my rough estimation I am currently seeing around 10-15% fewer Familiar Spirits/Cats-per-distance-travelled than I recall seeing last year (no hard data, although this is a deliberate slight underestimate in favour of Inno to account for the vagaries of my memory!).

It could all be RNG, of course, and there is also the fact that recent Events have awarded ~20% less Event Currency overall than previous versions of the same Events. Then again, it could be that (a) the Map generator is different (as well as my impression that there are fewer Cats-per-distance-travelled, there also seems to be a markedly greater need for Flash Flasks this year, due to encountering more instances of multiple sets of stacked obstacles in awkward combinations), and/or (b) the spawn frequency of Cats and/or Lost Objects has been adjusted. On the other hand, I don't think there is much, if any, difference in the stated % chances of winning Dailies from Lost Objects once they are found (although I'm open to correction here) - I remember the % odds being lower than in most Events last year, as well, at ~5% or so for most Daily Prizes, with only a couple of exceptions at (again, IIRC?) 12% and 22%, or close to that, as per this year.

Incidentally, I do think that a ~5% chance to win a Daily Prize, especially considering that anyone who is playing day-by-day rather than hoarding Currency for specific days may see very few, if any, Lost Objects on many days due to their rarity and/or the difficulty in discovering them, is parsimonious to say the least, and for many players downright disheartening and/or irritating/frustrating. Even a 10% or 15% chance would be pretty low, in my view, in an Event where many players will see far fewer chests/Lost Objects than is typical of the other Event formats, whether due to poor luck or inexperience with this Event's [reasonably unusual] mechanics - or both.

Overall : I prefer the more interesting mechanics of the Misty Forest Event to the more tedious and less skill-based rotating chests and 'shuffleboard' Event formats. However, while last year I found that I won about the same number of Artifacts and Daily Prizes as I would in any other Event format, and thus I found the Event to be more enjoyable and equally rewarding when compared to the more 'standard' types, this year's (for me, so far) very disappointing outcome in terms of Daily Prizes and number of Artifacts acquired to date has altered my opinion. I am not so fond of this kind of 'mining' mechanic that I am happy to sacrifice useful prizes in the name of a more interesting mechanic - I'd rather see the more tedious and less skill-based rotating chests system brought back, if it means a better chance of being able to fully evolve the Event Building while also obtaining at least an average number (for me, 2-4 each) of several different Daily Prizes, as I have done so far in all other types of Event over the past 3½ years.

For completeness: I know that the 'shuffleboard' system is preferred by some on the basis that it can actually guarantee both a fully evolved Event Building and one or more of any single (or multiple, if skill and luck allow) chosen Daily Prize(s), but as a player who usually aims firstly to fully evolve the Event Building but secondly also to win 2+ of several different, and specific, Daily Prizes, I find that the 'shuffleboard' Events are not as useful as they would be if I were trying for only one or two Daily Prizes (or even none of them), considering the often inconvenient availability (and randomness) of the 'x2' and 'Reveal Two' options, together with the expense of using the 'Reshuffle' option - which, itself, has equally random results. In fact, I generally very much dislike ANY randomness in the awarding of Event prizes, full stop, but that's another discussion entirely, of course!

Note : I have previous experience of this Event's 'mining' mechanic in other games.