• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Communication Message Editing Cursor Placement

DeletedUser867

In the Elvenar Trader, and in our very own XenForo forum, the text editing cursor is placed EXACTLY where the mouse icon is positioned, rather than offset to the corner of the icon. I'd regard that as a VERY strong indicator of appropriate click point behavior.

As the same group will probably be working on all three problems, we would note that this issue is closely related to

Last edited by a moderator:
The ingame cursor also clicks exactly where it should, which is the top left point of the indicator. This currently is intended behavior. As we feel that this is now what you would expect, though, we will process this further as a change request / suggestion. As such, we'll move this thread to the appropriate part of the forum.

What we understand would be your suggestion:
Move the "click point" in the cursor to the center of the cursor, instead of it being at the top left of the icon.

Please correct us if we're wrong. :)

DeletedUser

In that case you could change the cursor completely. Because with the traditional cursor icon it is a paint to think of the middle point.

DeletedUser867

The very similar cursor in the Elvenar Trader exhibits the appropriate behavior.
The text cursor drops EXACTLY under the mouse cursor.

The message editing cursor placement is a bug, pure and simple, and this message chain should be moved back into the Bugs forum.

DeletedUser43

To be sure we're discussing the same, I've made some pictures of the different cursors. ;)

Trader 1. Hand with pointing finger
dnha4o.jpg

This cursor clicks at the top left, where the finger is pointing.

Trader 2. Cursor shaped like an 'I', with a little triangle in the top left corner
jf7lgk.jpg

This cursor clicks at the top left, where the little triangle is placed. This is the intended behaviour. However, as this text box only contains one line of text, and both the triangle and the 'I' are placed within the text box, you're able to click with the 'I' as well to end up in the same line of text.

In-game message. Cursor shaped like an 'I', with a little triangle in the top left corner
(The cursor you would like to change.)
22cpro.jpg

This is the same cursor as the cursor of Trader 2. This cursor clicks at the top left, where the little triangle is placed. This is the intended behaviour. Unlike the trader text box, the in-game message text box contains multiple lines of text. If you try to click with the 'I' here, you would end up one line above where you'd like to be, namely on the line of text where the little triangle is placed. In other words: it is intended that you should aim and click with the triangle, not with the 'I'. If we understand you correctly, your idea is to be able to click with the 'I', just like the cursor on the Elvenar Forum (discussed below).

Forum. Cursor shaped like an 'I'
(If we understand you correctly, this is the cursor you would like to have for the in-game messages, without the triangle at the top left.)
e669a9.jpg

This cursor clicks with the 'I'. You have to place the 'I' in the line of text where you want to type.

As mentioned above, the current cursors work as intended. We think your idea is to change the in-game message cursor to the cursor we have on our forum. Could you confirm this? Or, if you still think it's a bug, could you clarify it with some pictures?

DeletedUser867

Let me experiment with it for a week or two.
The Trader and the Message box actually both use the upper left corner, where the point of an arrow would be, so I misinterpreted that. It's pretty easy to get used to once you know what you're looking for.

For the moment I'd prefer to defer my concern. Now that I'm looking for the right thing, I'll probably end up finding plenty of examples both ways.

DeletedUser283

using fancy cursors may seem fun on developers side, but when it comes to inserting text, the common rule is that the middle part of the text insertion cursor is where it happens;
putting a fancy triangle at the top left corner to signal that their cursor does not behave properly (because they went wrong with their cursor design) does not help :p