• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Not a Bug Memory leak

Karvest

Game version: v1.122-beta.7-(8b6075e) - html5 (2021-01-21 23:56)
HTML5 Yes/No:Yes
Game world:Beta1
Browser/IOS/Android + version: Chrome 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Flash Player version:
Operating System or Mobile Device: Windows 10
Screen resolution: 2560x1600
Account name:
Karvest
Humans or Elves:Elves

Reproducibility:
5/5 (1/5 = happened once; 2/5 = happens randomly; 3/5 = happens sometimes; 4/5 = happens often, but not always; 5/5 = happens always)

Quest title: (if applicable)

Current situation:
Game client leaks memory very fast. Probably every action leads to memory leak, whether it's resetting production, doing NH, or playing tourney etc. The hugest impact is indeed on tourney.

Expected situation:
No memory leaks (or at least not that bad leaks)
Imagine playing the game on netbook with 4GB or less memory, half of which is occupied by system and few opened programs.

Reproduction Steps:
1. open the game
2. open chrome task manager
3. play tourney with
4. notice amount of memory used by game tab and GPU worker increasing while your are playing

Screenshots of the bug:

1611439004503.png

reloaded the game after that, as it became too slow to continue playing tourney without reload.
I've seen mentions that the more completed provinces you have - the harder is memory leak. Can't check it, if someone wants to compare - I have only 465 provinces completed and i5-4750 with integrated GPU and 8Gb RAM on that PC.

justpeeking

maybe it is not strictly an issue of the client, but also of the web browser; some of my fellow who just switched to html5 after flash was shot down reported that they were unable to play using chrome, but they switched to edge and now have a much better experience
I personally play under Vivaldi and I feel the problem now as FA is on and I harvest 150+ factory every 2 mins. Other times the game runs smoothly, but I am not a heavy tourney guy.

Karvest

Same issue on vivaldi, I saw the game eating 5Gb of RAM at my wife's PC...
Indeed that started happening after switching to html5, flash version was super stable in that regard.

Heymrdiedier

html5 has memory leaks when you have multiple tabs open. Thats what i heard from mods when it was first introduced.
So since then i made a seperate chrome shortcut for elvenar who runs the game in a seperate session. Since then i haven't had any memory issues at all anymore. So maybe just closing all your other tabs also fixes your memory leak issues?

The mods seemed to hint that it was an html5 issue that inno couldnt do anything about, so not sure what's gonna happen with this bugreport

justpeeking

what about edge? I am starting to switch to it as a number of fellows reported positive feedback, some of them even heavy fighters in tourney

Karvest

Game is not starting at all in old edge (which I have here), new edge = same chromium, doubt there would be any difference.

Lovec Krys

I know another "nice" memory leak situation.
Back in december while doing my 3 weeks of crazy clicking on 70+ small unur ships every 15 minutes in my main(live) city, my Opera browser used to show me "Out of memory" message every 1-2 hours.

Marindor

We're continuously working on things like improving memory usage and such, but it's indeed not easy and some things can not (yet) be prevented. This is not considered a game bug though, so I'll archive the thread now.

Karvest

Not sure how it isn't considered as a game bug, if game simply doesn't free any memory it allocates for any window.
Just open inventory 10 times => get 200Mb extra memory leaked... (not counting GPU Process memory, which also stays occupied by those leaked objects)
memory_leak.gif
PS: not sure if amount of objects in inventory affect amount of memory leaked in this example, I have 9 pages of instants and 19 of buildings.