• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Melee vs. Ranged?

DeletedUser58

If you're doing battles instead of negotiating for the encounters on the map, what type of units do you prefer using --- melee warriors or ranged archers? Or a mix of both?

So far I've only accessed the first two Elven units, Sword Dancers (melee) and Archers (ranged), but it seems the ranged units are far more useful. It may be because of the type of enemy units I've encountered (I wonder if those are different based on different map areas or if they're the same for all of us?) or I just play better with them, but the melee ones haven't been very useful except for soaking up damage. So, melee units to take the hit, archers to hit the enemy.

DeletedUser

Same here, there are a lot of enemy units that are easily kiteable. I usually send in one melee squad and keep it out of range because enemies seem to always try to get them first so my archers got a lot of free dmg out. Won a lot of battles without even taking a hit that way.

This said there is a bug that sometimes the enemy isn't moving melee units around obstacles but rather gets stuck behind a wall and doesn't perform any actions so my archers can possibly just shoot at them for infinite duration.

DeletedUser

If you've fought hellhounds, you would know that ranged units are terrible against them. Its all dependent on the mix of units you are facing

DeletedUser

Yes true it doesn't work too well against those puppies. But in general the use of ranged units is really efficient if you can handle kiting.

DeletedUser

Its really effective against Knights or other ranged units - hands down the best unit for those purposed.

DeletedUser58

I've been mostly doing what Duradan mentioned above, using 1-2 melee units to go ahead and take the damage, along with 3 or 4 Archers in the background to take out the enemy. It's been a good enough combo to get me through any encounter, though some of them resulted with bigger losses than others.

DeletedUser

I think it's definitly enough for the first 3 rings of provinces around your city (regarding the fact that every ring the enemies get much stronger). But I think the fourth ring gonna be too tough without advanced units like Ents

DeletedUser58

Or at least improved Sword Dancers. Both Ents and Sword Dancer Promotion are far ahead on the research tree though.

DeletedUser

True lol. Just checked the Tech tree...weeell guess expanding the map will come to a halt pretty quickly then, gotta see how it turns out.
Although the increased squad sizes already mage a HUGE difference...I mean first upgrade -> Double the units on the Battlefield -> Double the damage.

DeletedUser

Is there any diference between elves and human army? or the units corespund..

DeletedUser

I like using both, and usually I will wait for them to get close before actually moving to get close to them. Ranged is especially good for slow moving targets, you just stay enough away so they can't reach you while shooting them. I usually put a nice meaty axeman in the way just to be sure they can't get to my archer.

DeletedUser

Ranged units are, for now, my favourite to use. Especially against melee enemies who can only move 2 spots at the time.

DeletedUser108

I used to go in battle with one squad of Sword Dancer and four squads of Archers. But since I have a squad size of 36 I see better results with five squads of Sword Dancer because they are killing almost everything instantly. Just wait the enemy to get close to you in the first round and then kill hit them with 252-324 damage (Archers do 144-216 damage at this point).

DeletedUser108

I guess with the human Axeman it's even way more powerfull since they have a damage of about 360, instead of 215 (+/-).

DeletedUser205

I take always minimum 1 milee with me, because they are the ones, the enemie wants to hit first and I can use them, to guide the enemie to the corners I want to have them (or other spots).

DeletedUser108

Actually the enemie attacks those first, who have the highest initative. So if you get ents don't forget to take sword dancer with you, because other wise your archers will be attacked first. I lost already 120 archer in one fight because I didn't know that :/

DeletedUser205

ahhhh, that's the point!

My Ents don't like to move in the first round and afterwards are always a bit out of the Center of the events.
Indeed, I take them, but cannot use them very much, execpt blocking without being knocked out by some enemies.
Ask me, how you use them o_O

DeletedUser58

Yeah, so far I'm not at all impressed with Ents. I'm not even using them because I've found them useful only versus other melee units (knights, war dogs, orcs, etc.) and usually those are accompanied with ranged units so the Ents become rather useless there.

Because of their low initiative, Ents take a move after most enemy melee units (which makes them good if you're facing war dogs, the war dogs would come close enough to you and then you can hit them right away with your Ents) or they might even move last in that round. So your Ents are moving in the first round, they're just moving last. Let's just say unless the enemy is composed of specific types of units, you don't need Ents.

DeletedUser

I like using a mix of both. Currently (Just a few days on Elvanar.) I have access to Axe Barbarians and Crossbowmen and squad size 3. Using both types I can kill almost all enemies with only 1/2 squad loss.