• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered mature language filter.

Bor de Wolf 1965

Hello,
I would like to know if there would be a way to switch the mature language filters off?
I am on this server inside a Dutch fellowship, so we speak Dutch in there.
Sometimes we write a decent word in Dutch but it gets replaced with ***
as an example: Dutch "Hoe veel kost dat?" English " how much does that cost?"
What we will see: "*** veel kost dat?"

Lelanya

Do not get me started!
Some folks use abbreviations from their home server, that create something between confusion and outright mayhem, to native English speakers' ears, and I was attacked for pointing this out.
But I have to say, this atmosphere here on the Beta Forum, is much better than a certain other ENglish speaking Forum.

Lovec Krys

Well, that's the endless inproper language circle:
- People use inproper language
- Inproper language filters are installed
- People get creative in using inproper language
- Inproper language filters are inovated (=more words and abbreviations are added)
- People get even more creative
- Inproper language filters are inovated again (=even more words and abbreviations are added)
- People stops using chats, since everything they write turns into something like this: ****s*** ***a**** *** *** *** *** even when not using any wrong words (just filters have too many false positives inproper language).

CrazyWizard

- People use inproper language
- Inproper language filters are installed
- People get creative in using inproper language
- Inproper language filters are inovated (=more words and abbreviations are added)
- People get even more creative
- Inproper language filters are inovated again (=even more words and abbreviations are added)
- People stops using chats, since everything they write turns into something like this: ****s*** ***a**** *** *** *** *** even when not using any wrong words (just filters have too many false positives inproper language).

Lol Spinazie (spinach in dutch) is banned because it contains the letters needed for Nazi
So yeah you are right about the false positives. I do not really understand.

The chat is a fellowship private matter, why does it even need a filter?
if the language is inaproriate you'll leave. I can easily talk 18+ with or without filter so that thing makes no sense.

Alcaro

I think the AM should have the possibility to turn ON/OFF this filter. If you have a very delicate and easily offending FS, turn it ON. If your FS is actually composed by grown up people who are not melting for seeing a F word or whatever, let that stupid filter OFF.

DeletedUser3847

Filters are useful to protect the most fragile players, some may be young. However, it is quite easy to get around them by altering the words while keeping them understandable. So being able to deactivate these filters could be an interesting option. It is always possible to expel or report a player who goes too far.

spennyit

Did you know that the Italian feminine version of "specific" is considered an improper word on the Italian server just because a part of it is, by itself, an improper word? The first time I received a message containing "speci****" I was really surprised. I suppose the whole Italian language should be considered improper on the Italian server. I hope that that part of the game will be updated soon also because discriminating between masculine and feminine versions of words it is really improper :)

DeletedUser3847

The filter must surely be refined, made more, intelligent ...

palmira

The most annoying in the portuguese server is computer (computador) being considered such a bad word it always spells ******,sigh

marcovaldo19

did someone notice that messages and chats often have different filters? And even different worlds in the same language are different?

edeba

Lol

Mist3003

Lol Spinazie is verboden omdat het de letters bevat die nodig zijn voor Nazi
Dus ja, je hebt gelijk wat betreft de valse positieven. Ik snap het niet helemaal.

De chat is een privé-aangelegenheid voor fellowship, waarom heeft het zelfs een filter nodig?
als de taal ongepast is, ga je weg. Ik kan gemakkelijk 18+ praten met of zonder filter, dus dat ding slaat nergens op.
[/CITAAT]

Edit (SyreArca):
Lol Spinach is banned because it contains the letters necessary for Nazi

So yes, you are right about the false positives. I do not fully understand it.

The chat is a private affair for fellowship, why does it even need a filter?

if the language is inappropriate, leave. I can easily talk 18+ with or without a filter, so that thing doesn't make sense.

Haha hilarisch. Ja spinazie is een nederlands woord maar om daar dan weer het woord nazi uit op te pikken gaat wel héél erg ver.

Edit (SyreArca):
"Haha hilarious. Yes, spinach is a Dutch word, but to pick up the word Nazi from it goes very far."
(English only on the Beta Forum please :))

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3726

Lol Spinazie (spinach in dutch) is banned because it contains the letters needed for Nazi
So yeah you are right about the false positives. I do not really understand.

The chat is a fellowship private matter, why does it even need a filter?
if the language is inaproriate you'll leave. I can easily talk 18+ with or without filter so that thing makes no sense.
I am now highly motivated to find out what all the naughty words are that trigger the filter so I can appropriately follow the rules of course!

Lushette

We seem to now live in a world of perpetually offended people! If someone is offended by colourful language then that particular FS is not for them. To censor everyone because of a bunch of snowflakes who are outraged when someone says the F word Is ridiculous. We now live in a Nanny State where everything is closely monitored for fear someone is offended. I want to go back to the good old days where people raised an eyebrow at bad language then life went on. :(