• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

World Map Mark the undiscoverable area

DeletedUser778

After the trader range increase and the deleting of inactive players I looked where the most rewarding and trading players are and started to make my way to them.
I'm on my way to the second player of that list and the second last province cost 3,7kk coins to scout, so I hope the last will not be over 4,4kk (mainhall limit), or there were a lot of recourcess more or less wasted.
Since the next players on that "nice to scout" list are all not close too, it would be nice to have the area on the worldmap one can't scout greyed out or something like that, so you don't start to make your way to a player and in the end realise you can't reach him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm at your side LordB - this is a very interesting question/suggestion. Curiously waiting for answers.... :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

Yes, I've read again with attention his suggestion and I've found it really really interesting! ;)

DeletedUser317

This would be very interesting. But.... they need to take in consideration the increment of the cost of exploration, just my little theory, maybe if i explore only in one direction i cn reach far away provincies than the next direction, so instead of a circular patron we can end with a spiral patron or even in a x patron if someone like it, just theories :D.

DeletedUser

All theories are well accepted here and so we can discuss about them: it's the power of forums ;)

DeletedUser778

good point !
unless of course it someday becomes possible to upgrade the main hall beyond level 15 ;)

I think when they upgrade maximum coin capacity somehow (higher mainhall, storage research,..)
they can adjust the greyed out non scoutable area too, if we are lucky and have one someday :)

This would be very interesting. But.... they need to take in consideration the increment of the cost of exploration, just my little theory, maybe if i explore only in one direction i cn reach far away provincies than the next direction, so instead of a circular patron we can end with a spiral patron or even in a x patron if someone like it, just theories :D.

They could use different shades of grey, like : a light grey for provinces one can always scout with maximum mainhall, a dark grey for provinces one can only scout if going straight to it, a bit lighter dark grey for provinces one can only scout, if one is doing a maximum of 5 provinces not on the way, etc.. and the never scoutable provinces dark dark grey of course :p

Maybe I have a starpattern someday. My first neighbour on my far away scouting list was north-west, now I'm on my way east and the other neighbours on the list are south-east, south-west and west :D

DeletedUser283

50 [different] shades of grey ?
(sorry, could not resist :p )

DeletedUser967

Agree with everyone in this topic :D

Philip please just no 50 shades of grey :<

DeletedUser43

I like this idea, but I see the same problem as Eladamri: if you have planned your scouts towards a specific neighbour and have accidentally scouted one province in the 'wrong' direction, it could happen that you suddenly wouldn't be able to reach the intended neighbour. You can't completely get away from this dynamic marking system of the undiscoverable area, as the scouting costs change with every scout.

One solution for the issue is to work with different shades of grey (as LordB wrote in post #8), but I personally think this would overcomplicate the World Map. It isn't intuitive to know which color of grey stands equals which meaning, e.g. 'you can scout until here in a straight line' or 'you can scout until here in a straight line plus five other provinces'. However, the meanings could be clarified in the wiki and perhaps also in the tutorial.

I'm wondering if we have to make it complex. If I understand the reasoning behind this idea correctly, you'd like to plan your scouts towards one neighbour at a time. If there would only be a marking for the ultimate undiscoverable area, thus the area you can't reach at all (not even if you go towards it in a straight line), you would have enough information to reach the one intended neighbour. The markings in the direction of the other neighbours would change, but the marking in the direction of your intended neighbour wouldn't. The grey area would clarify which provinces you can't scout at all, while the coloured area would indicate the provinces you could scout (if you would scout in a straight line).

This is my personal opinion as a player; you could have other opinions about the needed indications on the World Map and I'd like to know them. So I'd like to ask you all: if the undiscoverable area would be marked, would you like one marking for only the provinces you can't scout at all (not even in a straight line), or would you like graded markings, e.g. like the ones LordB suggested? :)

DeletedUser283

mmmh... that asks for some thinking ^^
each player has her/his personal way to move forward on the map :
trying to discover a neighbour, a trading partner or a friend,
or going for provinces that offer relics for boosted goods,
or just moving along a spiral pattern one distance at a time (I just finished all distance 6 provinces, and I will start with distance 7 provinces tomorrow)

my case being the 3rd one with bit of the 2nd one on the side, I would be satisfied if a single shade of grey was showing me how far I can go (maybe a signal that can evolve along with the main hall level; mine is still level 11 because I gave myself other priorities before upgrading the m-h)

DeletedUser778

I thought to make it simple for the players and not complicated just go with marking the not scoutable provinces and adjust the marked area after every scouting:
So when you start you have a big hex around your city and when one the for example just goes west scouting, the scoutable hex becomes more an oval with the center slightly left of the city.
So one can see what is possible and can plan a long journey knowing that scouting elsewhere could made it impossible.

Btw: I finished the second last province with a lot troop loss due to the strong enemy and very high negotiation cost for the encounters I just could not win just to see the last! province I needed to scout costs 5400k to reach the only noticable and not very far away crystal trader in my entire trading range, so I invested that much for just a couple of relics. That hit my motivation hard... :(

DeletedUser

After the trader range increase and the deleting of inactive players I looked where the most rewarding and trading players are and started to make my way to them.
I'm on my way to the second player of that list and the second last province cost 3,7kk coins to scout, so I hope the last will not be over 4,4kk (mainhall limit), or there were a lot of recourcess more or less wasted.
Since the next players on that "nice to scout" list are all not close too, it would be nice to have the area on the worldmap one can't scout greyed out or something like that, so you don't start to make your way to a player and in the end realise you can't reach him.
+1, I totally agree with you (although I am still far) :)

Marindor

I expect that in future game updates, the tech tree will expand further. With each "era", there are "Reduce Scouting Costs" techs so this "field of grey" would be dependent on that as well. I think that's something that complicates the matter. It would require the game to check these scouting costs each time you open the World Map and that would make loading the World Map slower, while there's currently already being worked hard on making this quicker because players already experience slow loading here.

DeletedUser118

You could have that once a "minimap" is added to the game. Showing the areas on this smaller map version shouldn't cost that much of traffic I'd say.

DeletedUser778

Another idea that just came to my mind:
Having a small number counting down how many provinces can be scouted until it gets impossible to scout that province could also do the trick and one could better plan with it, knowing exactly after how many provinces some provinces will get impossible.

BTW: After sending out my scout to scout my 176th province, ring 13 became too expansive, but gladly I made it to some ring 14 neighbours until then and also got some boosted relics out of ring 13 ;)