• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Leaving the game, so my final feedback

DeletedUser

To start I'd like to say that I have enjoyed playing Elvenar, it has taken up more of my time than some similar games, but I've got to the stage where I just fancy a change. I'm currently at rank 41 but peaked at 16 & do have some level 15 buildings.

I'll not mention the lack of features such as chat as they are being developed, just the features in-game.

The good:
1: 15 building upgrade levels, none with insane time requirements to complete. You do feel that you are constantly progressing unlike some games where they only have perhaps 5 levels and the last one takes over a week to complete.

2: The buildings are very well drawn and animated and are a pleasure to look at

3: The change of building size means a total city redesign which takes a lot of thought on how to complete effectively, and my last redesign was great fun which took more than an hour to complete!

4: The basic resource system is generally good, with the split of coin and tool production. The wholesaler is a great idea to plug any urgent needs or to use spare basic resources.

The not so good:
1: Combat. I find it a little boring and frustrating at times. The terrain blocks are a good idea but it isn't always obvious when you can go round obstacles, sometimes it looks like there is a path when there isn't. You quickly come up against enemies that you cannot easily defeat until you have an upgrade or 2 and as encounters totally reset if you fail then you can't just attrition them down. I've not fought for awhile now as I just don't like the system even though I have a large army of almost 7000 sitting in the barracks.

2: Building upgrade progression. At times I have run out of possible upgrades and at others have been able to upgrade multiple building types. The upgrades need either better distribution throughout the tech tree or simply remove upgrades from the tech tree altogether and let the player make the tactical choice on going wide or tall (to steal Civilization terminology)

3: Goods trading. In theory the bonus production system is an excellent idea but it doesn't seem to work in practise. You can see from the forum that whole neighbourhoods seem to have an excess of 1 good and a surplus of another rather than being balanced. I do think that players should be able to select their bonus goods, not only as they can look for a shortage of 1 type and fill it but because they may prefer the look of 1 building type over another.

4: Neighbourly Help. Another great idea that doesn't work as well in practise. Once you have discovered more than 10 or so players then it gets very boring to visit each town and manually upgrade a building. I would like to see a much simpler way of doing things, either a button on the main map that just sends help to every city that you have discovered or (possibly in development) a friends system where you can send help from your own city without having to visit others. As an incentive to visit, you could give the current reward if you visit and half if you take the easy route.

So not a great deal of feedback .. but that's because I think that the devs are generally on the right track and are keeping an eye on areas of concern such as culture and bonus production.

Good luck to you all.

Marindor

Thank you for providing us with your feedback Inque, it's certainly appreciated. Hope to see you again in the future! :)

DeletedUser

Good post and i pretty much agree with everything you said.

DeletedUser

Great feedback, and constructive too.

I can imagine quitting after a while unless more engaging features are introduced.

DeletedUser607

thank you

especially the neighborly help is a very boring part in the game, and I know of at least one player in my neighborhood, who stopped giving help although he is active.

and I recently realized, that the servers are a bit slower than early on. and at least 15 seconds for loading a city and another 10 seconds to load the main map... neighborly help requires half an hour daily.

regarding trading: I know what you mean, it levels out to a certain point, and I can get any ressource I want. but there seems to be a surplus on planks and scrolls in my area, and I have a bonus on both of them.

one other thing: I tend to play a game for years. but I expect this game to come to an end (in the tech tree) within the next 2-3 months. even without paying a single €. just because the tech tree comes to an end, and without further city area upgrades or squad upgrades, or unit promotions, it's done... the only way to reach the top of the highscore: squeeze as many high level buildings into that 40x40 area available.

DeletedUser205

neighborly help: after doing it every day on all my whole discovered worldmap, I'm tending now to only help my next neighbors (and those 1-2 who always show and help my cultures). It's really to boring, to click all those cities every day and check what they specially want to get polished, look where that building is and click again.
If I need some coins, I click some more neighbors, but in general this feature lost me as an active user/friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser326

and I recently realized, that the servers are a bit slower than early on. and at least 15 seconds for loading a city and another 10 seconds to load the main map... neighborly help requires half an hour daily.
But thats a matter of your PC and Internet Connection. Not a Problem of the game. I only Need 2 secs to Player and 3 secs back to the world map. Now after the update about 1 to Players and 2 back to map. Most of the time is spend for clicking "help" and selecting the building.

Thank you UPC ;)

Te help button should be much better placed and a bit bigger.

DeletedUser486

I am wondering if players are leaving the game out of frustration. First I am noticing a large number of abandoned villages in the world map. This also adds frustration as a lot of time is spent going through the world to visit players villages who won't reciprocate. A friends list is badly needed.

Second I'm having difficulty trading for goods. This could also be caused by players leaving. If particular goods boost are assigned when you start play and coincidentally all players with the same boost stop playing this reduces the pool of players you can trade with. I have been checking the market daily for a particular good and there are no trades posted. I'm stuck on the research tree trying to get that particular good. I'm having to build the other goods production buildings just to get going again. And its going to take a long time to produce the quantity I need.

Navigating the world map is also frustrating. You have to click on a village, click back to the world map, click on the next village, go back to the world map, maybe move the map, click on the next village and so on and so. If you find an abandoned village go back and try again.