• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Important Discussions Locked

DeletedUser2378

I just noticed that from page 3 on in the General Discussion Threads, someone has locked all further discussions from taking place. https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?forums/general-discussion.9/page-3

This makes no sense and feels like over reach from whoever made this decision.

We can't even go back and discuss things like Fellowship Perks or comment on Chapter Discussion Threads. o_O
Why would anyone want to block something so important from the players or from the development team to see our ongoing feedback?
Things just keep getting wilder around here. Should we just stay away from this forum and game altogether?

There is no Forum Rule that states we only have a specific amount of time to discuss any topic.
I can understand closing a thread for a contest that has ended or if a conversation gets out of hand.
But to close chapters, general constructive feedback, etc.???
It boggles the mind.

Forum Rule #5
5. Posting Protocol

• Avoid duplicate posts! You have access to both the 'edit' and the 'multi-quote' buttons, use them.
• Avoid repeating topics! Before you post a new topic please make sure that there has not already been a similar topic.
• To avoid repetition of arguments especially in long discussions you should always read the whole topic before posting.
• Be economical with quotations! Quote only the relevant parts so that posts won't get unnecessarily long, and people know which part you are referring to.
• Use comprehensive titles! Please choose appropriate titles when creating a topic. Please avoid incomplete or attention seeking names as they are deemed unfavorable. Generalist titles such as "question", "help", "lol" should also be avoided.
• Be on topic! Please post answers/comments that are relevant and relate/refer to the thread topic. If you cannot post a sensible answer it is better to avoid saying anything. This is particularly true for one-word-posts like "lol" or "rofl".
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?pages/forum_rules/

Edit to say: We obviously cannot avoid repetitive posts/topics if discussions are locked, without reason or justification.

I wonder how many players have tried to give feedback on those locked discussions, only to find out they aren't allowed to share their views anymore. This is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrimroseSylvia

I'm speechlees.
Never ever saw a discussion thread locked unless an escalation in discussion, and it never happened here in Beta, as far as I can remember.
Closing threads that leads to still existing topic (external website referred to Elvenar, released chapters and so on) is such a non-sense thing that I can't believe this happened.

Brummbaer

1671693601985.png

Without any additional comment

Amy Steele

Forum/QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Hi @CiraKelley thank you for raising this issue. Firstly please allow me to explain how the decision to lock all threads older than 6 months came about. This decision was taken somewhat hastily on a day when a certain player was reviving very old threads and derailing them. It was simply a means of preventing them from doing so. In hindsight this was something of an over-reaction.

As an initial step we have unlocked all 'official' discussion threads, such as Release Notes, Events, and of course Chapter ones, and are currently reviewing the rest of the older threads. It may be that some of those older threads are indeed no longer relevant and it would be better for new threads to be started.

A forum is a living thing, and in order for it to thrive a good mix of older and newer threads is always needed. In addition, over time, as more threads accumulate, and the forum tends to become unwieldy, many forums archive older no longer relevant threads in such a way that it is no longer possible for forum-goers to view them. We have not yet taken this step here, and should we choose to do so in the future we will take care to ensure that the still relevant discussions such as the chapter ones you mention are not archived.

DeletedUser2378

Instead of locking threads because someone is commenting on old threads that moderators don't agree with, maybe considers taking action towards the individual player instead.

We are all competent humans here, yet we are being treated like trouble makers. The majority do not go back to older threads to start trouble. We aren't toddlers. There are many past posts, older than 6 months, that may/and do become relevant again in the future. It's normal and has been happening for over 7 years now on this particular forum.

I'm sorry to keep bringing up issues that have started since October, but I feel it is important to keep the harmony and respect here in Beta that was always there, instead of changing as much as possible to basically shut us out or treat us like our concerns don't really matter.

Thank you for continuously reading concerns we are having with these changes. Please don't begrudge us. None of this is our fault. There were no issues here until recently and I think that needs to be acknowledged and accepted.

Please treat us better. We are here to help make Elvenar prosper. We love this game and the community's across all forums are like family in some ways. We've known of each other for years. When things are changing rapidly that really don't make any sense, of course we will become concerned and upset.

Support and management are not only here for themselves but should be here wanting to be part of the community. To understand and respect the players, not to keep them quiet or censor them. There is a major difference between moderation and censoring.

Thank you for unlocking some of the important threads, so far. I hope the will all be unlocked soon. If not, we need reasons for them staying closed. Thank you also for admitting that this was an over reach but I don't blame the moderator replying. I don't think it's fair for the long time moderators who are still here to take the heat for what has been happening.
Regardless, thank you for beginning to take steps to correct this.

Vaeri

Ex-Team Member
@CiraKelley The feedback on this topic (and anywhere else here in the forum) is very appreciated.
There were really no bad intentions and I personally regret that decisions were made that made you uncomfortable.
To be open with you, I thought that locking old threads would solve more problems than adding new, since new discussion threads, even about the same topic, can be created every time. I understand now that locking the threads may imply that we want to censor discussions.
Again, that was not the goal of the initiative and Amy will post in succession of my comment how we decided to proceed.

I take the chance in the thread to also tell you that I'm having an open ear for feedback about my work here as a CM.
My wish for next year is that we will be able to give you somewhat back the feeling that you felt in the past (of course, it will still be different).
I always try to reflect on what I can do better next time, and I'm still lacking in various points for sure. But please take the opportunity and chat with me personally so I can fully learn to understand your expectations and stop disappointing you. If you want to do that anonymously, we can think of a survey, or a Q&A? At the end, I want to make the contributions that the forum users, the moderators, and all Beta players deserve.
This will also help Jerry and the mods to help preserve the achievements made by past mods and CM's while also making changes from which we can all benefit from.

Amy Steele

Forum/QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this. We have decided that the only fair way to proceed is to unlock all existing threads. However, when choosing whether to reply to an old thread, or if it would be best to start a new one, please keep in mind our rules about staying on topic and keeping posts relevant. It may not for example be appropriate to reply further in an old Release Notes discussion, or in a thread about an issue that no longer occurs.

DeletedUser2378

Thank you very much for correcting this.
Again, I apologize for continuously bringing up issues lately, but feel they are important enough to the entire community to say something about each concern. This is not a me vs. you or us vs. them. This is a community where no one wants to see it fail.
Elvenar is a special game and our community is unique. It's been devastating to see so many long time, valuable players and staff leaving this market because of development, in house or moderator decisions.
You know the old saying of "don't fix it if it isn't broken". I think that very much applies to the Beta market.
Even if we get upset about new implementations, we should always feel comfortable enough to give our feedback, any time (with a respectful "tone", of course). It's a shame to watch so many leave or not participate with this forum anymore.
The greatest downfall that will happen with this game and this forum is when the player base leaves due to lack of respect and/or from being ignored. Once changes start happening at a rapid pace and no one is here to help give feedback on how to improve things, our beloved game will no longer be special or worth playing anymore.
Thanks for listening and for taking the time to fix this issue. Happy holidays to all!

Amy Steele

Forum/QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Thank you very much for correcting this.
Thank you very much for raising this important issue!

Elvenar is a special game and our community is unique.

You know the old saying of "don't fix it if it isn't broken". I think that very much applies to the Beta market.

I could not agree more!

Here is where Andreas and Timo, specifically reinforced our mandate:
Thank you for finding those quotes for us, all feedback is indeed valuable. Through your feedback on Seasons for example, the quest conditions are being reworked to ensure players only get quests which are possible for them to accomplish. Without that feedback, this change would not be happening, and the game would be a much poorer experience for it. Together we make Elvenar better!

I think, a "close-out-comment" would avoid a missunderstandig interpretation. ;)
I fully agree with this, and going forward (as indeed always happened in the past) where there are specific reasons for closing an individual thread, we will always post such a close-out comment in the thread.

Speaking of those closed threads, just a small (hopefully final) update on the matter: late yesterday I realised 2 things. Firstly that we had omitted to re-open several early pages of threads. This has now been corrected, and for the most part threads in General Discussion are now, and will remain, open.
Secondly, where a thread had previously been closed (with a close-out post) by a member of the team, those few threads (which were re-opened when we re-opened all threads yesterday) have now been re-closed. These should now be the only closed threads in General Discussion. Should you happen to see any that are still closed, but without a close-out notice, please do let myself, Vaeri, or Deadeye Jerry know, and we will review them

Biloutte91

There is still a lot of cleaning to do on this forum ... 2015 messages still open ^^

Capture d’écran 2023-01-03 160919.png

And the whole forum is like that^^

DG in french forum : 1 page.... here 61 ^^