• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Human army

DeletedUser651

I finally got enough sword dancers to try that last suggestion. The terrain blocked my sword dancers in so they could only get out on one side. The first guy couldn't move at all. I moved the two I could off to the side so I could eventually reach the cannoneers and then it was their turn. The cannoneers took out an entire squad and I was at least 3 moves from even reaching one of them, and I hadn't touched the thieves. 1/5 of my army down and I haven't even hit one enemy. I gave up. No sense in losing the whole army. I guess I should have known from the terrain I had no chance. Maybe if I can find a battle like that where it is wide open and I can get close to the cannoneers?

Tonight or tomorrow I should finally have Golem IIs. I will try your other suggestion.

PS...the game crashed twice just trying to move around the world map.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jixel

I second the observation that it's the mixed combinations of enemy units (plus the weight of numbers on their side, of course) that make many encounters very hard - there probably is a matching combination of my units to counter it, but that takes trial and error through many encounters, and too much of that and you won't have an army left :)

Another example (vs Elves/216s) :
2 x 413 Orcs
1 x 413 war dogs
1 x 103 Steinlings
1 x 63 Golem II

I want :
Treants against the orcs/war dogs - but the steinlings/golems can get a "one-shot" kill per stack of treants
Sorceresses against the steinlings/golems - but the orcs/war dogs in turn can one-shot them
Sword dancers (I only have IIs, not IIIs yet) - Orcs take a heavy toll on them, *and* the heavy ranged can one-shot them anyway
Golem IIs - again, they lose too much too quickly to the orcs/war dogs, and don't have any bonuses against the steinlings/golems
Archers ... errr, no.

And half the time the terrain is a second opponent, preventing your fast units from getting to where they're needed in time to stop the slaughter ...

DeletedUser629

I finally got enough sword dancers to try that last suggestion. The terrain blocked my sword dancers in so they could only get out on one side. The first guy couldn't move at all. I moved the two I could off to the side so I could eventually reach the cannoneers and then it was their turn. The cannoneers took out an entire squad and I was at least 3 moves from even reaching one of them, and I hadn't touched the thieves. 1/5 of my army down and I haven't even hit one enemy. I gave up. No sense in losing the whole army. I guess I should have known from the terrain I had no chance. Maybe if I can find a battle like that where it is wide open and I can get close to the cannoneers?

Tonight or tomorrow I should finally have Golem IIs. I will try your other suggestion.

PS...the game crashed twice just trying to move around the world map.

Whenever i start a battle and realize the terrain is decreasing my chance of winning, i give up and negotiate the encounter. I had to do it with another encounter in a silk province. I was completely surrounded by bushes, no fun when you have to fight cannoneers. It would be nice if the developers would somehow place the same terrain in every province, based on the enemies holding that province. You can´t expect people to fight cannoneers when half their army can´t move.

DeletedUser629

Another example (vs Elves/216s) :
2 x 413 Orcs
1 x 413 war dogs
1 x 103 Steinlings
1 x 63 Golem II

I would go for 3 squads of sworddancers and 2 squads of sorceresses. Treants are useless in this fight, the steinlings and golems will kill them easily. Make sure that you will get the first hit with your sworddancers, and have your 2 squads of sorceresses curse the steinlings and golems. Sworddancers may be a bit weaker than treants, they do have a 20% bonus vs heavy ranged, and golems and steinlings have no bonus vs light melee, so they will hit less hard on a squad of sworddancers than a squad of treants. Even when a sorceress curses the golems and steinlings, they both have an 80% bonus vs heavy melee, still leaving 10% bonus after the curse.

DeletedUser651

Goryn,
I was fighting in Winyandor and it has been a while since my army was that weak, so I may not be remembering right. But, I had the first level of sorceresses against archers and cannoneers....ok...great....that should be easy.....except that after my sorceresses hit the archers the next round the archers, all under the spell, hit back! They crushed my sorcs! I thought they couldn't hit back once hit? Is this because they are level 1 sorcs? They weren't the green archers, just the regular ones. I was very confused.

DeletedUser629

Goryn,
I was fighting in Winyandor and it has been a while since my army was that weak, so I may not be remembering right. But, I had the first level of sorceresses against archers and cannoneers....ok...great....that should be easy.....except that after my sorceresses hit the archers the next round the archers, all under the spell, hit back! They crushed my sorcs! I thought they couldn't hit back once hit? Is this because they are level 1 sorcs? They weren't the green archers, just the regular ones. I was very confused.

Sorceress should be invulnerable when hit by an archer, or in your case, a bandit, after you cursed them. We did have a huge bug a few months back regarding the sorceress. Their spell worked against you, so instead of making the enemy weaker, you made them a lot stronger. I think that must have been the case in your fight.

DeletedUser283

I second that
since the bug has been corrected, sorceresses (and mostly MK II) can make archers, steinlings, golems inefficient :
these shoot back but make 0 damage :)
the fight may last a tad longer before all enemies are finally wiped off, but it is a sure win :)

DeletedUser651

Goryn, I don't even know how to make a bug report about it. It only happened in some fights. But in those fights it happened every time. What info do you need to know to correct that or to try to repeat it? It happened on the US server so I will put the bug report in there, but I'd love to know how to report it the most useful way possible.

DeletedUser629

Goryn, I don't even know how to make a bug report about it. It only happened in some fights. But in those fights it happened every time. What info do you need to know to correct that or to try to repeat it? It happened on the US server so I will put the bug report in there, but I'd love to know how to report it the most useful way possible.

Okay, so this happened recently? What i did see for myself, is that sometimes when you curse your enemy, the curse symbol doesn't go away after the enemy had its turn. Players will probably still think the enemy is cursed, but in reality, the curse has worn off.

DeletedUser651

It happened last night on the Winyandor world on the US server. And no....I know the difference. They were crushing my sorcs. I had 5 squads, I was against 5 squads and they decimated my sorcs. In the Winyandor world I am way back in section IV and haven't researched squad size upgrade 10 yet. I was fighting in the 4th or 5th ring.

DeletedUser629

The most useful way of course, would be with a printscreen, but you don't have that. All you can do is report in detail what happened, so maybe the US game mods can try to reproduce it.

DeletedUser651

O M G. I simply love the Golem IIs!!!! They are the greatest. What a fighter! They have changed the whole landscape of fighting! Now, I need 47 armories and one million Golems IIs! They totally rock!

DeletedUser1345

216 provinces myself, and I still fight. Not all, but at least two-thirds, overall. I agree that it is not usually the enemy units, but the terrain that is a killer. I will throw one or two unit puzzles out when the next province is finished scouting ( elixir. )

DeletedUser651

As most players know, i´ve always been against those quests, and they only affected elves as far as i know. I play as an elf on the NL server and haven´t had those quests, so i guess they removed them after all.

Not only did I just face a quest that had me build a dust and an elixir factory, but after I tore down the useless dust factory (because elixir is my boost on Winyandor) which I only built in order to satisfy that quest, I am now faced with the following: Complete 1 Magic Dust Upgrade and Complete 1 Armory upgrade. Bizarrely, the quest is called Elven Sorceresses I. I would assume that the same quests are present here on beta.

@Goryn can you do anything to help get rid of these? Please?

DeletedUser

So Goryn is Dutch, cool.
Goryn, what should I do against this setup.
4 squads of steinlig (50 a squad)
2 squads of golem 2 (30 a squad)
1 squad of sorceress (40 a squad)
1 squad of treant 2 (30 a squad)
I am humans

DeletedUser629

So Goryn is Dutch, cool.
Goryn, what should I do against this setup.
4 squads of steinlig (50 a squad)
2 squads of golem 2 (30 a squad)
1 squad of sorceress (40 a squad)
1 squad of treant 2 (30 a squad)
I am humans

Must be an Elixer province ;)

For humans, those are the hardest to fight, and encounters where you have to face 8 squads of enemy troops are almost impossible to win. Paladins are out of the question, the golems and steinlings will finish them off quickly. The only option you have, is to bring barbarians and crossbowmen. 3 squads of barbarians and 2 squads of crosbowmen for the treants. They are also pretty good vs steinlings. The necromancers need to die first, then golem 2 cause they hit a lot harder than the steinlings and have a good defense vs short ranged. After that, go for the steinlings and make sure some of your crosbowmen survive to take out the treants.