• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion HTML5

Loki Blue

Ugh! Thanks for the heads up on this... I guess I'm not teaching web basics anymore because it looks like the web basics I knew won't be working anymore...

That's one of the issues with this change-over...all those old tweaks that used to work go right out the window. :(

DeletedUser1163

I wish the game devs would tell us what computers they use so when I am forced to switch to HTML5 and my HD fails from crashing so much, I'll know what my next computer should be.

DeletedUser1163

My i5-4750 with 8Gb RAM seems working fine with html5. But I still prefer how game looks in flash version.
Do you have Windows 10 too? Flash player is integrated into Windows 10. Maybe that's the problem. I have two flash players running at the same time if I activate HTML5. I don't know how to remove flash player from Windows 10 and not so sure that's a wise thing to do.

Elrondriel

My i5-4750 with 8Gb RAM seems working fine with html5. But I still prefer how game looks in flash version.

My concern is more about the bigger memory usage by the HTML5 version. I even suspect there is some kind of memory leak because over time the memory usage increases, especially when doing NH rounds. At work I only have 8GB and can run only one account no matter which browser I use. At home I have 16GB and can run several accounts at once but even there it get sluggish when using several HTML5 sessions.

I just made a little test on my secondary "snail machine": i3-3220 (Quad-Core), 8GB RAM, GT710 GPU, Win7 64bit, FF Quantum 60.

Both in HTML and Flash, RAM usage is at the same level and constant (+/- 5%), no matter whether I'm idle in the game or doing some activities (I loaded 20 neighbour towns each).

I only see a big difference in CPU usage: in Flash mode, idle level is at 5%, while it is at 15-20% in HTML5. Peaks going up during activity are also slighly lower in Flash (+/-5% less than in HTML5), in both cases max. 50%. Although not critical, I don't really like this HTML5 behaviour - why should I waste more energy in idle state ?

Also noticed now that graphics problem on HTML5 in OPERA are still there like since the beginning: there seems to be a milky layer all over the screen. This is NOT the case in Firefox !

Besides CPU and RAM: is there a different behaviour of Flash vs. HTML5 in terms of transfer of workload to the GPU ? If that is the case, one should also have a look at the graphics card used (integrated or separate) and the amount of allocated main or additonal own RAM ?

EDIT: Exactly same happening on my i7-2670 (Octa-Core) with 8GB RAM, but with lower absolute values. RAM constant, only CPU usage higher on HTML5 than Flash.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Do you have Windows 10 too? Flash player is integrated into Windows 10. Maybe that's the problem....
I'm pretty sure W10 doesn't have Flash integrated, that would be very stupid to do from Microsoft.
...I have two flash players running at the same time if I activate HTML5. I don't know how to remove flash player from Windows 10 and not so sure that's a wise thing to do.
That's very strange: why would HTML5 run Flash player ? Are you sure you're looking at the right process ? Flash player itself doesn't really show in process list so how do you know you have 2 running ? :confused: The only way I see Firefox is using Flash is because of the plugin-container.exe process being a child process from firefox.exe. If I switch to HTML5 that process is gone.

Karvest

Do you have Windows 10 too? Flash player is integrated into Windows 10. Maybe that's the problem. I have two flash players running at the same time if I activate HTML5. I don't know how to remove flash player from Windows 10 and not so sure that's a wise thing to do.
Windows 10 have flash player integrated into IE and EDGE. HTML5 mode is available only on chrome-based browsers and firefox, which have nothing to do with that flash player. They have their own flash player plugins.

DeletedUser1163

Windows 10 have flash player integrated into IE and EDGE. HTML5 mode is available only on chrome-based browsers and firefox, which have nothing to do with that flash player. They have their own flash player plugins.
Thank you. This brings up another question. Then why is it when I activate HTML5 and use Opera on my home computer and Chrome on my work computer, they both will have "Out of Memory" messages and the game freezes constantly. But if I turn off HTML5, I don't see anymore messages telling me I'm out of memory. My home computer is a gaming laptop and my work computer is a high-tech PC with loads of RAM and HD space, both have Windows 10 installed as the OS.

DeletedUser1163

I'm pretty sure W10 doesn't have Flash integrated, that would be very stupid to do from Microsoft.
It is integrated. When I first had to install the Flash player to play FoE, I couldn't install it because a message popped up and said "Flash Player is integrated in Windows 10."

DeletedUser1163

That's very strange: why would HTML5 run Flash player ? Are you sure you're looking at the right process ? Flash player itself doesn't really show in process list so how do you know you have 2 running ? :confused: The only way I see Firefox is using Flash is because of the plugin-container.exe process being a child process from firefox.exe. If I switch to HTML5 that process is gone.
So what you're saying is HTML5 is not a flash player program, even though it will replace flash player. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Karvest

Then why is it when I activate HTML5 and use Opera on my home computer and Chrome on my work computer, they both will have "Out of Memory" messages and the game freezes constantly.
May be you have some plugins or user java scripts installed, that interfere with game scripts.
Also, are you using up to date 64bit version of these browsers? if not - try installing 64bit/updating browser.

DeletedUser

So what you're saying is HTML5 is not a flash player program, even though it will replace flash player. I didn't know that. Thanks.
HTML5 and Flash are 2 completely different things.
HTML5 is a markup language used for structuring and presenting content.

Adobe Flash is a deprecated multimedia software platform used for production of animations, rich Internet applications, desktop applications, mobile applications, mobile games and embedded web browser video players.

HTML5 should be handle by the browser itself while Flash needs an extra program to function.

DeletedUser1163

HTML5 and Flash are 2 completely different things.
When we have to switch over to HTML5, how do we remove Adobe Flash Player that's integrated in Windows 10? If two programs are running in the background and we only use one, that will use up more computer resources.
May be you have some plugins or user java scripts installed, that interfere with game scripts.
Also, are you using up to date 64bit version of these browsers? if not - try installing 64bit/updating browser.
The "Out of Memory messages and the game freezing only happens when I activate HTML5. There are no problems using Adobe Flash Player.

Karvest

flash player is running only if you have open browser window with some site using it.
The "Out of Memory messages and the game freezing only happens when I activate HTML5. There are no problems using Adobe Flash Player.
In Flash mode game runs in it's own space, and version of browser/installed plugins can't interfere with it. In html5 mode all those plugins start to inspect game code and inject their functions in it. Also if your browser is 32bit - game in html5 mode can run out of memory (which is limited for 32bit processes) by it's own.

DeletedUser1163

In Flash mode game runs in it's own space, and version of browser/installed plugins can't interfere with it. In html5 mode all those plugins start to inspect game code and inject their functions in it. Also if your browser is 32bit - game in html5 mode can run out of memory (which is limited for 32bit processes) by it's own.
I have Windows 10 Home 64-Bit gaming laptop so I still don't understand why I receive "Out of Memory" messages when using HTML5. When I deactivate it, I can play the game fine with no memory loss.

Karvest

64bit windows is good, but are you sure your chrome/opera/whatever you use to play this game is 64 bit too?

Jackluyt

Could someone please explain how in HTML5, one can copy text from the Chat Box or Messages, so you can Paste it somewhere else?
Thanks!
:) :)

Deleted User - 86059

@Jackluyt unfortunately that feature is not available in HTML at this time but it has been forwarded as feedback to the team that a lot of players are asking for this feature to be added :)