• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Answered Found a game that seems a copy of Elvenar

Earwen1

First of all, I am not really sure if this is the right place for my question, so please forgive me if it is not.

I have found and tested a game called 'Roman Empire' released by a company called 'Qumaron' (extern URL).
The design of that game (not the images of course, but the way the mechanics work) is so very similar to Elvenar, that I first had the impression that it was an @InnoGames production. Needless to say it is not.

So my question is: is this "Roman Empire' by Qumaron a legal copy? Or is it an infringment?
The main reason for me to ask this is because I do not want to use stolen content, that is a personal thing of importance to me.

Two screenshots:
1. The knowledge Tree, they call it the science tree, is very alike and works the same way, with science points, as they call it.
All devided into chapters.
RomanEmpire-Qumaron2.jpg

2. City expansions, including the need to build cultural objects in order to build manufactories, troop facilities and food production.
Food production that has the same way of importance as we know it in Elvenar.
RomanEmpire-Qumaron1.jpg

CrazyWizard

It's very difficult to prove infringement if there is enough transformation in the game. many concepts of elvenar are just basic gamerules and not unique enough to qualify for infringement.
For example, It looks like the game has it's own assets ect so there can't be copyright infringement on that, the names are also different.

So even if it was a carbon copy (there was a carbon copy in the past with pretty much new assets only and even that did not interest HQ in germany)

Even of you could prove infringement it will be very hard to enforce it.
Quite often these companies are located in countries like the ukraine / russia.

You therefore have to go to russian / ukranian court. it just ain't worth the effort / money.
Even if you can get it banned in lets say germany, then you can put a seizuire on there german income, but that only works if the payment provider has liabilities in the EU. and isn't based in a country that doesn't care.

They can just implement a payment workaround for german users that germany cannot touch.

These things are only interesting if the copyright infringer has assets in the US, there with punitive damages going after a copyright infringer might be interesting.

marcovaldo19

to have an infringement, i bet that it should be in code, not in aspect or game rules. Else i could say that fire is my idea so as the wheel. the fact that you don't use two piece of wood but a lighter to get the fire, changes the scenario. you can't protect a generic idea, but only the way you apply it

Earwen1

I am not skilled to look into the code of any game.

To compare it with the making of fire makes no sense at all, as fire is a natural element, while code is not.

marcovaldo19

ok then use the lamp as an example. how it's made can be copied and thus an infringment, but the idea of lamp not. and speaking about code, accountancy app do all the same thing but not the same way. the difference is between the idea and the way you get there.

Deleted User - 60107

Looking at the screenshots on the linked page their world map seems to be similar to Forge of Empires: it is divided in provinces that give different rewards. Most give loot, some give an expansion, and some give a goods deposit that boosts a particular goods production.

Overall it may be similar to Elvenar and FoE, but not to the point where you can claim copyright infringement. I'm sure there are plenty of similar games.

P.S.: For anyone who happens to remember me and is curious: No, I have not gotten back to playing Elvenar and never will. I just like reading the Elvenar forums – because doing so is far more entertaining than Chapter 15 ever was.