• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Final Plea: Fix or Scrap the new AI

CrazyWizard

This is my final plea for that @#%!$$!~ AI you guys have build, it has completely killed the Autocombat feature.

I will try to explain why you guys have #$@#%^ up the battlesystem. without a good working autocombat feature the battle experience becomes extremely annoying, resulting in soon enough no on using it any more than strictly nessesary, essentially destroying all the hard work you guys put in the battle revamp.

Seriously if your 3 star super wonderbuffed units gets there ass whipped more than often agains 2 star unbuffed enemies on the early tournament rounds you have to admit there is a serious game problem.

Solutions:
1. revert back to the dumb AI, most likely the one that designed it found out that making the AI smarter made it no longer work.
2. Use a different AI for the player and the enemy.

When the new AI was introduced, fighting became considerably more difficult for players, to combat this the AI designers put into it some deliberate flaws to make combat easier. this can be used very effectivly by manual combatting players:

Let me explain:
example 1.png
One of the flaws that are programmed in the AI is that a unit will attack the biggest thread to itself first. this can be used in the example above.
when we had the old AI the hellhound (then called cerberus) would be attacking the (blossom) mages.
The new AI instead attacks the biggest thread to itself, in this example I have placed a treant in the thread range of the Hellhound, and this will make the hellhound attack the treant in round 1.

Now lets switch the tables and see what happens when you start to use the autocombat feature where you units use the exact same flaw in the player side AI.
example 2.png
The cerberus placed in the battle by the player is obviously there to give a decisive blow to the mage unit to elimitate this thread, in reality the cerberus decides that the orc deserter is the biggest thread to itself and decides to attack that one instead, the treants on the other had will be chasing the mage unit, whoe the cannoneers will be pounding on them round after round, especially if there is some terrain for the mage to use to avoid the treants.

The AI needs to recognise when it needs to attack it's biggest thread and when it needs to attack unit it's strong against, for example if there are only light melee/ranged units on the player side, attacking the deserter would make sense since it's the biggest thread to all the units on the field, but when multiple units of different types are fielded on the player side, then each unit should focus it's attack on the "weakest" unit instead.

The old AI just ran ahead without thinking much, this offset the problems of a bad choice,
The new AI tries to get the best out of the enemy units, this makes a bad mistake instant death as a result.

What we have seen so far is that on the steel provincies that if you are oppossed by 2 mage units, even if there weak 1 or 2 star versions you are unable to win with any unit configurations.

Now the same counts for the current Crystal tournament, if you encount a province with 2 orkdeserter you can't win any fight on the autocombat features. well you sometimes can win with golems if there arent to many abbots around and your losses are massive.

but even agains a single ork deserter a total loss is seen more than often.

right now every battle seems to be a must manual battle, this degrades the battling entertainmaint a lot, and you will see many people just give up. the thing I have heared the most the past 2 weeks is that people are considering clearing there combat units and go for all out factories instead to handle the tournament since winning normally seems to be to hard.

The first few rounds should be easily be won on autocombat mode, especially if you have a bunch of combat wonders to boost your units, only round 5-6 should need at least some "manual" input, this keeps people getting to bored from manual combat.

Also pay some attention to terrain, all these examples are with plain fields, but with the new AI even a small disadvantage on the field creates either a massive loss or a total defeat. the effect of terrain on the battle result is now dramaticly high unlike with the old AI, who essentially ignored most terrein except for 1 provincies with a nasty set of terrain that neither the new nor the old AI can handle.

Heymrdiedier

I completly agree with this, except for the @#%!$$!~ at the start :)

Im one of those players who will be scrapping all my armories etc to replace them with factories if the ancient wonders update doesnt make my combat a lot better. (my monastary is allready at lvl 19, and other combat wonders are in the range 6-15)
Seeing that the abyss now will give me a lot more population (and i assume culture wonders will do the same) i can manage building a few more factories without a problem.

I liked fighting and have always fought a lot, but every update since the initial combat change, just seems to have made it less enjoyable.
The fact that the triangle doesn't work for some case and makes the triangle more like a U, was the first step in the wrong direction. (this is sorceress not winning against her good units heavy melee and heavy ranged, and also human mortars not winning against bows)

SoggyShorts

As a non-fighter I'm not sure, but would simply reducing the enemy to 2 unit types instead of 3 make things easier even with the current AI?

CrazyWizard

As a non-fighter I'm not sure, but would simply reducing the enemy to 2 unit types instead of 3 make things easier even with the current AI?
We had these new units already with the old AI and that worked fine, I'll assume it uses the combat triangle to determine it's actions, in that case the amount of units dont really matter. with the old AI we had quite a bit of fun, we could do much on autocombat, and even more when the wonders booster our units.

Only the difficult levels, part of 5 and usually all of round 6 we needed to add manual input.

Nowadays we cant even autobattle past round 8 or 9 or so when the 3 stars begin autobattle is 100% impossible, at the 2 star we also get total losses already in the very early rounds.

Dony

King of Bugs
This AI can work with few new rules and 1 feature but there must be willingness from devs to actually make autocombat viable, because now it feels like we have autocombat in game just so they can say we have autocombat regarless of effectivness of it.

Sir Squirrel

I agree battles are becoming manual only and auto battle is pretty much useless after the first star of a tourney. I am starting to think they want us all to go to negotiating because the Dev's think there isn't enough trades in the trader and they can't figure out how to fix it. So instead they make fighting impossible early in the game so most new players will negotiate, and now make the fighting harder and break the AI so even players that have been fighting a long time see it is easier to negotiate now and presto way more trades in the trader!!

Last edited:

DeletedUser1596

I'll join the party. It IS very difficult. If we get 2x defeated before achieving victory on MANUAL, the fights get not only much longer then before (when there were 8 fights/province), but the losses are unbearable.

For example: I fight 5th star, squad size is 492. Fleeing in the middle of the fight costs .. let's say 1500 units. Twice. The third fight is a victory, but with 2000+ units dead. That makes 5000 dead and a LOT of time wasted on a single fight.

Previous tournament seemed OK, so a little balancing should be enough.

CrazyWizard

I'll join the party. It IS very difficult. If we get 2x defeated before achieving victory on MANUAL, the fights get not only much longer then before (when there were 8 fights/province), but the losses are unbearable.

For example: I fight 5th star, squad size is 492. Fleeing in the middle of the fight costs .. let's say 1500 units. Twice. The third fight is a victory, but with 2000+ units dead. That makes 5000 dead and a LOT of time wasted on a single fight.

Previous tournament seemed OK, so a little balancing should be enough.

Right now you are referring to manual combat difficulty. while I agree it's a pain thats only for 1-5% of the player population relevant, the other 95-99%% need the autobattle function to work properly,

I honoustly cant care much about manual combat difficulty, what I do find important is that we are able to rally our fellow players to start using the new combat features. let me demonstrate this will an email I recieved.

Just an idea…

I know there are plenty of people who like all these fighting games, but there are also people like me that dislike them intensely. I don’t like that part of the Evener game, but it’s becoming obvious that I need to do a bit of it to better progress in the provinces.

So when you write up your various pages, if you could offer some simple tips for folks who are not interested in studying the various creatures and just want to know how to put together an army that can combat the shady characters in order to get through the province without spending goods, that’d be really nice.

I’ve invested real cash in the game, but if the need to fight becomes too much a part of progressing, I’m very likely to quit, as I don’t find that entertaining. So if I can succeed at it without investing too much time or brain power in the fighting portion, that’ll keep me playing. If you can help with that in your pages, that would be much appreciated! And if not, I’ll understand.

Thanks.

Feel free to use my email. I tried auto-battle once early on, and lost just about all my forces.

I have bolded the important parts.

These players need a reasonably well working autocombat function. it's not as efficient as playing manually, you might not win all battles, and your losses are higher, but the difference between manual and automatic should be not as far apart like it now. the manual fighting and autobattles are like day and night now. way to far apart.

I would love to tell the player from this mail, like read my guides, they also work to a decent extend with the autobattle.
But the only thing I can say now, is; dare to use the autobattle function and die. why don't you just quit? this ain't gonna work anyway.

DeletedUser

Right now you are referring to manual combat difficulty. while I agree it's a pain thats only for 1-5% of the player population relevant, the other 95-99%% need the autobattle function to work properly,

I honoustly cant care much about manual combat difficulty, what I do find important is that we are able to rally our fellow players to start using the new combat features.

@CrazyWizard
I know you love to crunch the numbers, but this percentage you're giving is a very wild quess and, dare I say it, very likely wrong. There are a lot more players than you think who like to fight manual, even in the tournaments.
And even if you want to play as much on autobattle as possible, manual combat will always be a backup when autobattle doesn't work anymore.

DeletedUser1596

And even if you want to play as much on autobattle as possible, manual combat will always be a backup when autobattle doesn't work anymore.

Exactly. I thought it was obvious that I fought manually only because autocombat was a suicide mission.

DeletedUser1877

Strangely, and perhaps those more experienced can explain this.... I have just moved nto chapter 4, and have not researched any squad size since the last combat tweak. For the last 3 tournaments, at my level/position, auto-combat was great. Had a prov here and there I lost that way, but majority were victories. This tourney, auto is spelled suicide, and even manual isn't getting me many wins.

Granted, my first scrolls tourney, so is that the issue, dif enemy?

DeletedUser1877

TY, thought it might be harder, but no experience in tourneys to go by

CrazyWizard

@CrazyWizard
I know you love to crunch the numbers, but this percentage you're giving is a very wild quess and, dare I say it, very likely wrong. There are a lot more players than you think who like to fight manual, even in the tournaments.

Exactly manual and negotiations are backups. but there becomming the main game now, not backup, it aint just the scroll tournament.
As far as the numbers, I do not have access to the server data so true I cant know exactly, but I also know I am not far off.

Even in my own guild there is very little manual fighting done anymore, and it has quite a bit of veteran tournament players in it.
And yes, when you only do a few fights a day, there are more people willing to fight manually so on the province map the numbers are more likly to go towards the 5% as for tournaments more like 1% because of to much repetition.

If you are part of this select group of lovers your judgement is often clouded, I myself are a powerplayer, but I also have been a developer myself in the past.
One of the things I had to learn fast (and my inexperienced dev team) is that you should never balance a game on the powerplayers, but you balance it on the main stream players.
You might try to limit the excesses that powerplayer creates but always have to make sure that the main stream player ain't affected.
When we balanced the game on my skills, the other people started to loose interest because it became to hard for them to enjoy the game.

As an example: the moment I start to balance the game on dony's achievements I actually start to destroy the fun of many others. it's better to ignore him, and let him do his thing, then to limit the play of the many other players.

Dony

King of Bugs
As an example: the moment I start to balance the game on dony's achievements I actually start to destroy the fun of many others. it's better to ignore him, and let him do his thing, then to limit the play of the many other players.
Wow, dont worry everybody already ignoring me.

DeletedUser

@CrazyWizard In my Dutch fellowship, about 6 players prefer tot fight manual, because there's not much fun in autocombat or catering. I think about 12 prefer a mix of manual, auto or cater. The other 7 have a strong dislike for the whole battle system and only cater in provincies and usually do only 1-2 tournament provincies on lvl 1.

So in 1 fellowship 25% prefers manual fighting. Even if we are an exception in that, on the average it would still be more than 1-5% ;)

Off course autocombat should be fixed, but the difficulty in manual fighting should not be overlooked. For a newcomer in the game, or mid-range city-player, manual combat should be doable (especially when the stay in the GL zone), because continuous catering on that level is asking for trouble

SoggyShorts

I'm not sure about my Beta FS, but on my live ones only one player manual fights consistently, so we're in that 1-5% range.

Do they need to use the AI for auto-combat? Couldn't there just be a (hidden?) difficulty rating based on the troops of each side and apply the losses accordingly? With a 20% swing from that base perhaps?

Just spit-ballin

DeletedUser1596

Do they need to use the AI for auto-combat? Couldn't there just be a (hidden?) difficulty rating based on the troops of each side and apply the losses accordingly? With a 20% swing from that base perhaps?

I'm not sure, but I thing that this way the battles are calculated in Tribal Wars. The game takes your troops, enemy troops, adds a few % of luck, does the math and it's done. No AI, no terrain. And it works. And some weird surprises would be eliminated (like 5 cerberi losing against 3 archers and 3 mages)