• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

User Interface Fellowship Notifications

Pauly7

As we all know there are many problems with the Elvenar messaging system. Not least of them is the problem with messages getting lost amongst other messages, and important notices not being read by many people. Even within a single message thread important information is often buried beneath other replies.

The best solution would be a completely revamped and more modern messaging system, of course, but failing that my idea for the interim... or request of Inno, if you will... is for Arch Mages to be granted the ability to post important notices in the Elvenar News section, so a highlight would appear next to the trumpet icon. Members of that fellowship would then need to click it to make the highlight disappear and it wouldn't get lost amongst anything else.

I know that Inno probably wants to keep that notification area for themselves, but the reason that they would want to do that would surely be that they are aware of the issue of people not reading important messages. After all, Inno only puts a notification there once every week or two, on average, so I think it shouldn't clutter it too much if AMs are allowed to do the same - maybe a max of 2 or 3 a week, if they're worried about it being overcrowded, or server space.

PaNonymeB

As we all know there are many problems with the Elvenar messaging system. Not least of them is the problem with messages getting lost amongst other messages, and important notices not being read by many people. Even within a single message thread important information is often buried beneath other replies.

The best solution would be a completely revamped and more modern messaging system, of course, but failing that my idea for the interim... or request of Inno, if you will... is for Arch Mages to be granted the ability to post important notices in the Elvenar News section, so a highlight would appear next to the trumpet icon. Members of that fellowship would then need to click it to make the highlight disappear and it wouldn't get lost amongst anything else.

I know that Inno probably wants to keep that notification area for themselves, but the reason that they would want to do that would surely be that they are aware of the issue of people not reading important messages. After all, Inno only puts a notification there once every week or two, on average, so I think it shouldn't clutter it too much if AMs are allowed to do the same - maybe a max of 2 or 3 a week, if they're worried about it being overcrowded, or server space.
From my experience, FA announcements are often missed where they're put behind other announcements. So I'm not sure it would solve the issue of important messages being missed.
(Especially considering this feature would be mostly used for FAs, so a typical scenario would be a player opens the game news, sees "Upcoming FA" announcement, or another nnoncement from Inno placed before and misses the AM message "FA Map 1 : Orange")

Pauly7

From my experience, FA announcements are often missed where they're put behind other announcements. So I'm not sure it would solve the issue of important messages being missed.
(Especially considering this feature would be mostly used for FAs, so a typical scenario would be a player opens the game news, sees "Upcoming FA" announcement, or another nnoncement from Inno placed before and misses the AM message "FA Map 1 : Orange")
I agree it's not ideal, but we've asked so many times for a better messaging system that allows messages to be locked or pinned. I thought I would try a new approach.

Earwen1

I fully agree with these suggestions.
The way both the messaging and chat features function makes one wonder what the idea is behind it. What is smart about poor functioning communication features for your players, while several game features (FA, Spire, Tournaments) ask for communication among users in a FS?

It makes me wonder about the reasoning by @InnoGames behind this. Fear of 'abuse'? If players want to exchange url's, they will do that anyway. Whatever it is. Why is it that Inno has chosen to frustrate communication to the whole community, just to avoid misuse by some?

Or is it just a technical aspect? I think that for developers that are skilled to make an advanced game like this, it shouldn't be that hard to embed some IRC kind of chat / communication into the game.

Or is there another reason to have poor communication features ingame? Only if we can learn these, we are able to come up with good ideas to improve this. Else, we can come up with ideas endlessly without welcoming an improvement ever.

Pauly7

Or is it just a technical aspect?
I think that is the answer that has been given in the past... i.e. just something that hasn't been developed yet. I think they also have memory trouble in the messaging system, hence the very small storage too.
I think that for developers that are skilled to make an advanced game like this, it shouldn't be that hard to embed some IRC kind of chat / communication into the game.
I agree. It's a woefully inadequate part of the game and it would surprise me if it's still not on the roadmap to improve - though I have heard no mention of it.