• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Fellowship description in other languages.

Earwen1

In this beta environment it is good use to have all communications in English.
Just lately - as I like to read descriptions of other fellowships - I come across a lot of them in other languages.
This would not be an issue if it were possible to copy the text and paste it into Google Translate to be able to read it. But alas, such is not the case.
In Fellowship descriptions it is not possible to select and copy the text. So it is impossible to have it translated and read it.

Right now I see three options:
1. I am the only one to be annoyed with this and no one cares. It will be as it is.
2. More people would rather see this changed, so all text must be written in English.
3. More people would rather see this changed, so all text can be copied to get a translation.

Other ideas are welcome! Because I don't have a solution ready for this.

SyreArca

Ex-Team Member
Hi!
This is a good time to remind everyone that Beta is an English only version of Elvenar.
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?pages/game_rules/

"§2 Language

• This Elvenar version is the Beta version and its language is English. The use of other languages in the game, forum and support is forbidden.
• In fellowship forums, private communications, and player profiles a short phrase in another language is permitted, provided that this is translated to English either directly following or preceding it.
• Support tickets must also be created in understandable English, in order to get help.

• It is allowed to use other languages to the extent of proper names and short, universally known maxims."

Thanks @Earwen1 ! It's always good to bring up some reminders once in a while, for those who may not be aware of certain rules.
Please do send us a ticket through our Support if anyone has any concerns. :)

Earwen1

i think the "language" for fellowships should be allowed in other then just english since some people are not good in english and they like a fellowship with other people of their language. just the forum and support should be english only.
Inside the Fellowship: no problem. But the description of a Fellowship is to be read by everyone.
If you want to host players with a single language, you can tell that in English too.
Too write a description in English, you could use Google Translate.

Earwen1

Thanks @Earwen1 ! It's always good to bring up some reminders once in a while, for those who may not be aware of certain rules.
Please do send us a ticket through our Support if anyone has any concerns. :)
As not everyone is using the forum, maybe it could be helpfull to send a message with a reminder to all Fellowships and players, in stead of us reporting each other with tickets?

Skillpowers

Inside the Fellowship: no problem. But the description of a Fellowship is to be read by everyone.
If you want to host players with a single language, you can tell that in English too.
Too write a description in English, you could use Google Translate.
when i joined beta and i noticed a fellowship discription in a language i didn't understand , then i already know its a fellowship for people specificly of that country so i won't join it and i did try to look for a fellowship with people that speak my language , (if i could not find that then il just would have join a random english speaking one).

Earwen1

when i joined beta and i noticed a fellowship discription in a language i didn't understand , then i already know its a fellowship for people specificly of that country so i won't join it and i did try to look for a fellowship with people that speak my language , (if i could not find that then il just would have join a random english speaking one).
I shortly refer to @SyreArca 's post:

Lelanya

Hmmm
I respect the fellowship that I came across that took the trouble to make it clear from their overview, that the fellowship was comprised primarily with folks who mainly did not use English. So the FS name was in another language, and the overview was English and another. The English did explain that the FS would attempt to assist users to translate chat and messages  to English (or whatever).
But like @Skillpowers said, when it was plain that I would be bewildered by the language issues in a given FS, I just looked for a better one.

Martia

What would the benefit for you to force these fellowships to change their fellowship description in English? Just for pure curiosity? Maybe it's a little bit against the rules but does it harm somebody? Would you join if they have an English description that chat language is Hungarian?

Earwen1

What would the benefit for you to force these fellowships to change their fellowship description in English? Just for pure curiosity? Maybe it's a little bit against the rules but does it harm somebody? Would you join if they have an English description that chat language is Hungarian?
As I have explained in my first post: it is annoying me when I cannot read what people are saying.
I don't bother what players do or say within their Fellowships, I do mind how players have set up their Fellowships, the ideas that they have, priorities, culture, character et cetera. I care because I can learn from it. That is why I read their descriptions. And I cannot read Chech, for instance, while it is not possible to copy the text and use an external translation app.

In texts that are meant for all the players, the whole international collective, all players should be able to read it. Transparency in communication is essential in any collective and even more in an international community. That is why this beta server is 'English only' and it is what all of us have agreed with, when we accepted the terms and conditions at our first time login.

Martia

As I have explained in my first post: it is annoying me when I cannot read what people are saying.
I don't bother what players do or say within their Fellowships, I do mind how players have set up their Fellowships, the ideas that they have, priorities, culture, character et cetera. I care because I can learn from it. That is why I read their descriptions. And I cannot read Chech, for instance, while it is not possible to copy the text and use an external translation app.

In texts that are meant for all the players, the whole international collective, all players should be able to read it. Transparency in communication is essential in any collective and even more in an international community. That is why this beta server is 'English only' and it is what all of us have agreed with, when we accepted the terms and conditions at our first time login.
If a fellowship writes their description in another language they obviously mean not all players but just the one speaking their language. I would be annoyed if there would be tickets sent or fellowships forced to change their description just of curiosity. They also could have no fellowship description.

Earwen1

If a fellowship writes their description in another language they obviously mean not all players but just the one speaking their language. I would be annoyed if there would be tickets sent or fellowships forced to change their description just of curiosity. They also could have no fellowship description.
To keep it short and avoid repetitions I refer to the answer from:
Hi!
This is a good time to remind everyone that Beta is an English only version of Elvenar.

"§2 Language

• This Elvenar version is the Beta version and its language is English. The use of other languages in the game, forum and support is forbidden.
• In fellowship forums, private communications, and player profiles a short phrase in another language is permitted, provided that this is translated to English either directly following or preceding it.
• Support tickets must also be created in understandable English, in order to get help.

• It is allowed to use other languages to the extent of proper names and short, universally known maxims."
(..)

Martia

By the way, I could (nearly) translate a Czech, Hungarian and Netherlands fellowship description with Google camera translator, maybe that could be the fourth possibility

Bor de Wolf 1965

There is an extreme easy solution for this so called problem.

line 1 in any FS description:
We are an "Language" speaking fellowship, if you speak it you are welcome.

If I read that message I know enough.
Even if they would really love to have me as a member, if they don't write in English, Dutch or Germain, I don't under stand them so I won't join that FS and I have no problems with whatever language they like to talk amongst them self.

Last edited by a moderator:

SyreArca

Ex-Team Member
Hey guys,

Please remember to respond respectfully towards one another.
We will need to start moderating posts, should they become repetitive, personal and/or disrespectful. We are right on that line now, so please be aware of this from here on.

Do please give your thoughts and opinions!
Thoughtful questioning is great at expanding a discussion and coming up with resolutions!
As is giving thorough ideas to expand upon the original post.

Do not reply with hurtful or angry responses. Stay away from all CAPS. Be sure to read previous responses before replying. If emotions are running high, walk away and come back later, with a respectful reply. Please be kind to one another. These are the rules. Please follow them:

https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?pages/forum_rules/

Again, we will remind everyone that Beta is an English language server. The in-game language you see is English, as it is for the Forum and Support. This has already been established and is the agreement when playing on this particular server.

Should anyone wish to write in English first and then another language, this is an acceptable compromise.

@Earwen1 Should you wish to create a Suggestion after thoughtful dialogue here, please write that over in our Ideas and Suggestions section.

Everyone is always welcome to write up a suggestion to see how the community responds. :)
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/guidelines-ideas-suggestions-read-this-first.6130/

https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?forums/ideas-and-suggestions.11/

Lovec Krys

Simple: If a fellowship has non-english description written, it means they are looking for players speaking that language only.
If you are still interested what their description is, you can always use translator.