• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Fellowship Adventures

Heymrdiedier

some of you forgot to mention the spire in your reasoning why its too soon, I wonder why :)

i dont think its too soon, as said you can skip it if you dont want to, or only make the badges you produce while just doing your normal game. with new quest system thats possible. So you still help your FS some way.
the competition part of FSA (and im assuming thats also where the diamonds are being spend) thats a whole other thing. If you want to do that, then you have to destroy your city to make room for extra workshops/factories, yet again. But for those who ignore it, its not too soon (but they wont give you much income either)

I think that thats the main reason people complain about 'too soon' at the announcement of something new everytime. Almost every 'event' requires you to make room and place buildings you dont even need. You might have a super efficient city which you are proud of, but every time an event starts that super efficient city turns into a very bad event city.

Remove the requirement of tearing down your city to make room for lvl 1 buildings, and you will see alot less complaining. I believe a lot of suggestions to tackle that have been suggested in the past on all forums (a seperate event island, make higher lvl factories produce more medals/questcredits/adventure items then low lvl factories, event specific factories that are the same for everyone (so fixed room for everyone),....)

Heymrdiedier

Ok, but if you're in a Fellowship that expects you to participate in each and every FA round, tournament etc etc and that's not what suits your game style and you don't have the freedom to make your own choices in that, wouldn't it just be time to consider joining an FS with a less agressive play style? Not trying to break up Fellowships or anything here, don't get me wrong :) But for me personally, for example, I chose to join a Fellowship with a relaxed pace, because hitting it hard on every event is just not my way of playing. I'm not someone who rushes to stage 4 in FA either and I don't mind not getting these prizes. So if you feel like the events we're offering are becoming more of a chore than fun for you, because you feel like you have to support others who have a more fanatic style of playing the game than you, wouldn't that just mean that at this point in your game (that could always change of course), this just isn't the Fellowship that suits you best? Once again: not trying to create unrest in Fellowships, but just trying to understand why players make certain choices that contradict their own interests :)

interesting question, but hard to answer. nowadays theres many aspects in the game, tournament/spire/FSA/big Events/challenges/Wonder chain mails/..... Its getting harder and harder to find a FS that has the exact same interest as you in every different aspect. So you join the FS that likes the aspect you like the most and are stuck with their choice in the other aspects aswell. And once you are there, you make friendships, so just leaving the FS when a new aspect is introduced because its doesnt suit your playstyle anymore, well thats a hard thing to do. Since there is no global chat, leaving a FS means losing friends.

CrazyWizard

Ok, but if you're in a Fellowship that expects you to participate in each and every FA round, tournament etc etc and that's not what suits your game style and you don't have the freedom to make your own choices in that, wouldn't it just be time to consider joining an FS with a less agressive play style? Not trying to break up Fellowships or anything here, don't get me wrong :) But for me personally, for example, I chose to join a Fellowship with a relaxed pace, because hitting it hard on every event is just not my way of playing. I'm not someone who rushes to stage 4 in FA either and I don't mind not getting these prizes. So if you feel like the events we're offering are becoming more of a chore than fun for you, because you feel like you have to support others who have a more fanatic style of playing the game than you, wouldn't that just mean that at this point in your game (that could always change of course), this just isn't the Fellowship that suits you best? Once again: not trying to create unrest in Fellowships, but just trying to understand why players make certain choices that contradict their own interests :)

Because the game is bigger than FA, besides in game benefits like 10 chest tournaments or other benefits. the biggest reason to stick might be friendship, pride of belonging somewhere you know RL things.
Why would you throw that all away because some digital game harasses you with FA every now and then?

If you don't like 1 thing about someone but like the rest do you still kick them to the curb? that 1 thing needs to be extremly serious for any normal person to do so.

Marindor

If you don't like 1 thing about someone but like the rest do you still kick them to the curb? that 1 thing needs to be extremly serious for any normal person to do so.

If that someone would take away my liberty to make my own choices, I certainly would, but it's not about me :) I'm just trying to understand the reasoning here about why players won't just skip the events they don't like. If you don't like to participate in something, it's no big deal to skip it. If we wouldn't have offered the event at all, you wouldn't have gotten the rewards either. You now at least have the choice not to get them, participate mildly and get some extra rewards without it influencing your game style, or go for it a 100% and try to hit the top rewards.

But I think the main point/reason of going for the latter option against your will is now clear, and as I read it, that's all abour group pressure, right? Any other reasons why you'd put so much effort in while you don't want to, besides feeling obliged to towards your FS? :)

Ashrem

i think the question should be how much better rewards should inno offer to players so everybody wants to do it all the time
Everything has to be balanced.
  • If the rewards are better, there will also be more pressure from people who want them on people who are focused on growth and/or just don't want to participate.
  • If the rewards are better, they will attract more and more people who have (effectively) unlimited budgets for games, and fewer and fewer free/casual players will win those prizes. Driving some off and leading to more dead cities.
  • If the rewards are sufficiently better that everyone wants to participate all the time, then more and more will be angry when those fantastic prizes go to highly focused teams which spend money, and some will be off, leading to more dead cities.

CrazyWizard

Everything has to be balanced.
  • If the rewards are better, there will also be more pressure from people who want them on people who are focused on growth and/or just don't want to participate.
  • If the rewards are better, they will attract more and more people who have (effectively) unlimited budgets for games, and fewer and fewer free/casual players will win those prizes. Driving some off and leading to more dead cities.
  • If the rewards are sufficiently better that everyone wants to participate all the time, then more and more will be angry when those fantastic prizes go to highly focused teams which spend money, and some will be off, leading to more dead cities.

Well I am not sure about now but the grand prizes of the FA have a hidden unactivated power. I am glad they never activated that power for that reason.
Essentially it would be mandatory to win the FA to be ranked high on the game as a player. (throne of high men wonder power to every FA prize you own)

but then those 15K points would be a joke as a felowship would aquire hundreds of thousands ranking points for the buildings as well.

DeletedUser2818

I'm just trying to understand the reasoning here about why players won't just skip the events they don't like. If you don't like to participate in something, it's no big deal to skip it.
I struggle to fathom how it's possible not to understand the concept of the carrot and the stick and that of FOMO. If you dangle a carrot in someone's face, and in a rather grandiose way at that, they'll want it even if it's a hassle to reach it. It's mind-boggingly simple. I've already mentioned this and FOMO a number of times, yet for equally obvious reasons (better to look away than face inconvenient truths) my posts were ignored.
The case and examples in question bear some differences, but the concept is the same and better elaborated in videos such as this:
- the kind of things publishers don't want us to think about, in other words.

iDavis

The problem might be in the fact that players are forced to do the exact same thing every single time. I do like when a lot of things is happening in game, but unfortunately, it doesn´t create any difference, if you launch event, FA or challenge. For players it means only - "build ton of workshops, lvl 1 manufactories and do exactly the same thing as you did last time". There can be a good rewards but many players won´t be happy with a need to do this whole process again.

Lelanya

Hi guys,

Ok, so if you find the FA tiresome, not worth the effort, too demanding, not fun etc... why do you feel you have to participate? As we can read here, some players would like it more often, some players would like it less often. What's the problem with just skipping it if it doesn't fit your schedule or when you're not enjoying it? :) Is it because you're in a FS that is too demanding for you, forcing you to participate, or is there any other reason?

Hi Marindor, Lelanya here. I've been playing for about 3 and a half years, and leading for over 3 years in one capacity or another, mainly on the International server. I am running 8 cities at a mix of activity levels, and using them to test various game strategies, cleanly, much in the same way you mods hold test accounts. I started this, because the game has changed a lot since I ran through the early chapters and I like to help other players with advice, both on the EN Forum, and on social media.

The reason I start the events varies from city to city, but for all them, the instants are a big incentive. They are easily the most powerful item we can win in a game. A 50% coin rain works exactly the same whether the player using it has a level 1 or a level 33 Main Hall. For nearly all of my cities, a Portal Profit is a huge incentive! But I think we're all secretly hoping for another shot at Spheric Stub, or something much like it. So we start the events praying for a great stand alone culture or hybrid, and knowing the chance for a 40hr time instant (pretty please!) along the way always exists. When the event turns out to be a weary drudge, then we are disappointed yet again.

FA has from time to time offered some of the best items possible in the game, as rewards. Also, nothing in the game offers the same opportunity to bond, or quarrel, with our fellows. And for so many of us, it's those bonds that matter most. The format for the Summer Mermaid event has wearied most of us. It sounded great on paper, an endless event, but then came that horrible feeling of letdown when we realized we got NO BREAK at all, and here you are with another long intense event designed to pull on the very bonds that bind us together. It's late summer for me, I want to get outside and cut the lawn one last time, and prepare my gardens for the long winter ahead. With the game offering one intense item after another, when can I do that?

Something needs to change. I hope the Spire will become that change, that those who want to play can do that at their convenience. But as an Archmage, I very much fear that this will change how we fellowship together, and I will be rebuilding again. So when the news of FA hits, while I'm still pulling 7 cities through a long weary event (torture level 60 for most of them, sadly), I do groan. My Beta city is built to be an FA city, and my fellows here love my attitude towards it. But, GROOOANN, can we please have a week off?

I hope this helps. Thanks for reading,
Lel

Last edited:

Arthus

Literally players have been crying to give us a month of rest to develop our cities, and boom, fellowship adventures.

Just one word of comment, ignorance.

Ashrem

Maybe the answer lies in the ability to belong to a secondary Fellowship-type organization (I'll call it a team, for the lack of another term) You can be in one fellowship and one team, and change the FA to a TA (Team Adventure) Then people can be Fellows with players who want to be friends, and Team-mates with another group (which may or may not overlap) Two separate chat boxes on the right, one for FS and one for Team. The ability to group mail both teams and Fellows. It could easily make the game more dynamic and give a larger fellowship circle.

Whether trading is allowed between teammates or not is a different consideration. My instinct is not, since it primarily exists for a specific group activity.

DeletedUser2576

Well I am not sure about now but the grand prizes of the FA have a hidden unactivated power. I am glad they never activated that power for that reason.
Essentially it would be mandatory to win the FA to be ranked high on the game as a player. (throne of high men wonder power to every FA prize you own)

but then those 15K points would be a joke as a felowship would aquire hundreds of thousands ranking points for the buildings as well.
These effects are not meant to go live. They are relics from internal test and there is no intention to activate them. The devs don't seem to cleanup there EffectConfig, thats all ^^

DeletedUser1657

Hi guys,

Ok, so if you find the FA tiresome, not worth the effort, too demanding, not fun etc... why do you feel you have to participate? As we can read here, some players would like it more often, some players would like it less often. What's the problem with just skipping it if it doesn't fit your schedule or when you're not enjoying it? :) Is it because you're in a FS that is too demanding for you, forcing you to participate, or is there any other reason?

Ok, but if you're in a Fellowship that expects you to participate in each and every FA round, tournament etc etc and that's not what suits your game style and you don't have the freedom to make your own choices in that, wouldn't it just be time to consider joining an FS with a less agressive play style?

I am currently ambivalent about this current FA. I have a great fellowship and we will discuss our approach to this on and vote prior to it starting. I expect the new quest system will reduce the drag a bit. That said there are some obvious (to me) reasons why people feel the burnout from event after event even if its optional.

• Major events/FA tend to lend towards you have a mini town of level 1 buildings. For a game about beautiful artwork having masses of the same level 1 building is a bit of an eye sore. If your in the middle of the guest race you basically miss out, even if you actually wanted to get a certain prize. I think most players now have realised they need a big hole in their towns for either events or guest races.
  • Loyalty - This is huge amongst fellowships. Once you "fought" together to achieve FA/ 10 chests tournaments etc. Not to mention chats and discussions and the length of time in a fellowship there is a big loyalty factor coming in. This is then coupled with if just 1 person in the group wants to do the FA people feel obliged to help that person achieve it even if they don't personally want it. The game encourages teamwork and participation but it can backfire in this respect as well. This effect is almost always unspoken and requires zero pressure from your fellowship, people place it on themselves because of that loyalty to the team.
  • As mentioned before a fear of loss, its human nature. More people are motivated by it then by rewards.
  • Tournaments - these happen every week and people work hard to do well in them, whether for personal or fellowship reasons. I know a lot of people who do this for the personal gains, fellowship gains are a side product not the reason. So a lot of people feel like there is always something happening. With the spire about to hit and be weekly also this will only increase
  • Effort - the more effort required or perceived effort the more worn out people feel, even worse if they feel the rewards are mediocre or worse. While they should temper their efforts they tend not. The FA effort has reduced with the change in quests but we have only tried it once. So the change factor is at play currently as well. Change with last event which unsettles people until they get used to it and then still getting used to what effort is needed in an FA with the new system. People only mostly have the old system and the feelings and emotions associated with it, for now.
  • Burnout - People can burn themselves out by pushing to hard. Even worse if they are running multiple towns, which most beta players would be doing at least 2 - live and beta. In terms of people with multiple live world they could drop one ot more but again the loyalty to that town and hard work come into play
These things are all personal/individual drivers not fellowship influenced. Sure some fellowships can apply pressure in different areas and aspects but that compounds what is already there. Even once a fellowship start to become "uncomfortable" for someone the loyalty factor keeps them stuck there for a good long while. Its only when that "nail is painful enough" will they "get up and move".

Plus it is easier to blame inno then to self-reflect on what we could do different.:rolleyes:;)

p.s. At this current point in time there is also a bit of "edginess" as people are anticipating the next chapter with no clue when it will happen. Any other "new" thing feels like it is delaying that even if its just an existing feature.

Lelanya

Thank you Mykan, well put! I feel you covered in detail what I was struggling to put into words.
The problem is that most of us long to restore order to our beautiful cities, and feel that we dare not. I can't remember the last time I used all my population for a regular upgrade, unless I were literally researching the next housing increase.

By the way, any word yet on which FA we will doing? Our spreadsheet folks would like to use their day off to get moving on this.

Lelanya

Maybe the answer lies in the ability to belong to a secondary Fellowship-type organization (I'll call it a team, for the lack of another term) You can be in one fellowship and one team, and change the FA to a TA (Team Adventure) Then people can be Fellows with players who want to be friends, and Team-mates with another group (which may or may not overlap) Two separate chat boxes on the right, one for FS and one for Team. The ability to group mail both teams and Fellows. It could easily make the game more dynamic and give a larger fellowship circle.

Whether trading is allowed between teammates or not is a different consideration. My instinct is not, since it primarily exists for a specific group activity.
You have the germ of an interesting idea. This is the start of something. Perhaps it should go in ideas and suggestions

Marindor

Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts about this everyone. I think the way @Mykan 's FS is handling it, is actually pretty smart. Before a FA is about to start, discuss together whether or not you're going to join. I get that it's more convenient for you if we make the choice for you to not offer it at all, so you don't need to have that conversation and don't feel guilty for not wanting to participate, but in the end as a Fellowship you should be able to reach some sort of consensus. And if the majority of the players in your FS does want to play the FA, apparently they are happy that we are offering it.

In the end I think as a company you won't be able to satisfy everyone. Players with the feeling of an obligation towards their FS or with a big fear of loss to miss out on anything might perceive it as too much pressure, while on the other hand we have end tech players who think the game becomes too boring when no incentives are being offered and they have nothing more to upgrade in their towns, no researches to unlock etc. And then there is a company goal to make some money as well, which is of course also stimulated by events. After all, players who are willing to spend some money are the ones making the whole free-to-play concept possible for the players who are not.

So there are a lot of different factors here to consider. Different players, different stakeholders, different needs and desires and we won't be able to please everybody. In the end I think it would make more sense to offer things which players can choose to skip themselves, than to not offer them at all and take away opportunities and game elements for players who would like to play them. :)

Biloutte91

there is a solution, instead of releasing a new FA, it was necessary to leave the new guest race ^^... everyone was happy :) :D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Jackluyt

Dear Humans and Elves,

Please see the announcement of our latest addition to the game here: Fellowship Adventures! We are of course very curious for your feedback so please let us know what you think about it in this thread!

Hi!
Could we please know which type of Adventures is coming, when you make your announcements, in future?
Someone invariably drops this information in this thread under a 'Spoiler' - so it would be really nice if you could make the information official, not hearsay.

Thanks!