• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Jackluyt

Post-Event Impressions

The Event is over in Beta World now, and only a few days to go in the Live Worlds.
Here is the feedback I have received from the EPL Facebook group - please feel free to add comments!

Timon says that they pay attention to ‘balancing’ the quests - so there are some that favor newcomers, and some that favor advanced players.
Nice in theory - but they did not succeed entirely this time!

1. What I particularly like is that some of the Quest awards offer useful materials: Goods, KP Supplies, and Coins - which will be invaluable to a ‘Newbie’!
Sadly this falls away later after quest 14.

2. Daily Feeding quests
It is difficult to fault these!
Perfect for a newcomer - the amounts of materials required are quite do-able, even for an entrance level player.

3. The Consecutive Quests
Sadly, there have been many complaints about these!
It would appear that the design team did not run a full simulation on how affordable these quests would be for all players. There are some that are virtually impossible for newcomers, and some that are equally undo-able for Advanced players - because the massive amounts of goods required quite simply are so expensive that many (most?) advanced players abandoned the Event, because they could use the materials better, elsewhere.

Here is a reply from Support to one of my players - and I don’t find it at all acceptable:

“Thank you for contacting Elvenar support. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the game. Unfortunately, the events will not necessarily be able to be completed by everyone. It is just not possible to create an event that every player can complete. That is one of the reasons that there are multiple events per year, and why the quests within the events change as well.
“We will be happy to forward your feedback to the developers to take into consideration as they work on planning future events.
“Please let us know if you have any further questions, and have a lovely day!
“Kind regards...”
The highlighting is mine - and I do not agree with their statement at all!

Issues and thoughts:

1. These event buildings are GREAT for ‘newbies’ - giving access to levels of Culture that you cannot buy in the shop. When you chapter up and outgrow the buildings, you sell them and buy replacements in the next Event.
    They are NOT much use for advanced players, above Orcs & Goblins - where you need to fill your city with Culture buildings that also produce Mana.

2. We are hoping for a Mana Event Building next time! Timon said in Q & A that this is planned for future Events.

3. The special fighting abilities buildings that boost your troops’ strength are a good idea. One can collect a few and place them the week your fellowship goes for the Tenth Chest.

4. The stand-alone Orc’s Nest Building which produces Orcs for players in Chapter VIII is a great idea! It allows you to perhaps delete an Armory - and its support buildings too: Residences, Culture and Workshops that you need to build it, and to keep it producing

5. The stand-alone buildings that produce fighting units (Vallorian Guards, Orc Strategist) are very useful for beginners who do not have access to troops like this. The one that produces Orc Strategist is great for all Human players below Orcs chapter, who do not have a comparable unit. (Elves have Golem which is roughly similar).

6. It is worth doing the Event just for the Knowledge Points!
    You can throw the buildings away, if you don’t want or need them.

7. Boring, repetitive and irrelevant Quests are not good!
  • Timon wants us to trade more - so let’s have lots more trading Quests like ‘trade with someone on the map 10 times’; ‘trade with someone in your fellowship 20 times’; ‘place 10 trades for your first boosted material’, place 10 trades for your second Boosted material, etc etc.

Examples might be:

i. Use a Shortcut HotKey;

ii. Zoom your city in once and out again

iii. Change your City Name and your Avatar

iv. Upgrade 6 blocks of street (the reward window would tell the ‘newbie’ that he / she gained Culture, and so they should do all the rest!)

v. Sell a Culture building (Easy one! - one could build and sell a 1 x 1 Signpost. The reward window would tell the ‘newbie’ that he / she could gain Culture by selling & replacing obsolete buildings!)

vi. Whisper with a friend in the Chat window

vii. Collect Three Treasure Chests from Neighborhood visits

viii. Find and visit a player called ‘Mystery Jackpot’ (teaching the player search function) and polish his Mystery Building. This would be a city that belongs to the developers - and would have a Building that gives a random mystery prize, varying from a few supplies to something very special! They could leave this city open for the whole of the event...

ix. etc etc.

This list took me 5 minutes to dream up - there are obviously many, many more possibilities!

• Co-operation with Fellowships is part of Timon’s plan - so what about ‘visit fellowship members 24 times?” Which encourages us to have bigger fellowships!

• Forging trading- and visiting friendships on the Map is desirable - so how about ‘visit x number of people on the Map’?

• The Design Team want us to use the Magic Academy more - so how about ‘Cast 5 Spells’?

• Keep the Quests Event-related - like ‘Collect 20 Sugar Beet’? ‘Use 100 Candy’?

• The Designers obviously would like to encourage us to buy Diamonds. So how about giving us 50 Diamonds and telling us to spend them - repeated several times during the event!!
    Sort-of getting us into the swing of using Diamonds, à la Pavlov!
Things that need to be fixed before next Event

19598855_10209497152646336_8443505447962070928_n.jpg

1. The ‘pay a good amount of xxxx’ quests.

This is a REALLY good idea - but there are issues with it:

a. It is poorly explained - I have had at least thirty people ask how the quest works!
    People tried buying marble, spending marble, trading marble etc etc - and could not make it work.
    The layout of the quest could be improved - to make it easier to understand.

b. The amounts of materials asked for are supposed to be calculated so everyone is asked for an easily affordable amount, appropriate for their current chapter level.
    This was not the case, in practice!

i. Beginners who have not unlocked Tier 3 factories were expected to trade with fellowship for those goods. In practice, the amounts involved would require them to stop their regular city building for a week or so.
    Many gave up on the event for that reason.

ii. In the new worlds Sinya Arda and Ceravyn (US server) and Felyndral (EN / International server) - it was commonly reported that very few players had advanced far enough to unlock Tier Three factories - and these goods were not available to trade.
    Many gave up on the event for that reason.

iii. Advanced players were asked for amounts of the order 30 000 of each of the T3 goods. For many, myself included, it was simply not worth it to give away 100 000 Magical Goods, and vast amounts of Supplies and Coins too.
    Many of us are committed to fellowship Tournament schedules - and losing that much material would make Tournament participation impossible.
    Many of us gave up on the event for that reason.
  2. The Grand Prizes are not as good as previous Events.
    Timon explained in the Q & A that a previous Event had over-valued the buildings and they had scaled this set down. I think that is poor business logic. Many people gave up on the event because the prizes were not good enough to justify the expenditure and effort.

3. High drop-out rate.
    Only the Design Team have access to the figures of how many people dropped out of the event - but my impression is that a much higher number of people simply gave up after a few weeks - for the reasons given above.

Players do not want to waste lots of their hard-earned materials on an Event quest.

I do not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I’ve heard someone call this the worst event ever...

4. The quests are irrelevant, repetitive and boring!
    Making Power of Provision Enchantments, and doing production runs of Tier One Goods and Workshops runs over and over takes all the novelty and fun out of the Event. See suggestions above.
Update: I posted a Comments thread in Platinum Leaf, based on this thread.

Lots and lots and lots of negative responses - and not one single positive!
:)

Then I posted another asking if anyone had positive remarks:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209759741450892&set=gm.1903449113243801&type=3&theater

There were a few interesting points...

A common response was:

"It was not fun!"
Comments added:
  1. Why was it not fun?

My take on this is that the impression one gets is that the design team are inherently stingy!
    They resent giving away anything at all - or so it would appear ..

What I would say to them is that if you want to have a wonderful party where everyone enjoys themselves - you need to have a big bowl of Punch at the door, and hand a free glass to each guest as they arrive.
    Then you spend a few bucks to hire an Oompah band, and ask each of the guys to bring a bottle of schnapps, and the ladies to bring a plate of canapes... ... and voila!

PARTY TIME!

FUN!!

This is not the spirit of the Event that the players are picking up, this time around...
    It seems that the developers resent giving away anything at all - and must extract their pound of flesh for each little trinket that they grudgingly shell out...

Why not give away some really big mystery prizes?
    A couple of expansions, a blue print or two...
    ... most of us would not win them - but it would add the spice to the Event that is at present sadly lacking.....

2. Overall consensus was that the ‘Pay xxx of yyy’ quests asked for ridiculously large amounts of materials - and players resented having to part with those, and see their city growth and Tournament play grind to a halt...
    ... the design team extracting their 'pound of flesh'! :)

Surely we can do better than this, Timon?

Here is the EPL event guide on which these suggestions are based:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1650734901848558/files/

18740484_10209215039953695_4358338686859158494_n.jpg

Elvenar Platinum Leaf is an independent player's group on Facebook, with 4000 members, and a large collection of more than three hundred videos and fact files.
You and your friends are most welcome to join us!

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

The one thing I'd like to add is that they should try to keep some of the better daily rewards for the end of the event.
Certainly the best pop/culture building in any event should come up in the last week, not on day 8.

The final 9 quests didn't have a reasonable cost:reward at all.
Even ignoring the gruelling tedium of the supplies quests, the goods costs alone were a huge turnoff, and just made no sense compared to spending those goods in the tournament instead.

Those quests would get you enough beets to win on average:
  • 25 KP
  • 24 relics
  • 5 runes
  • 1 building
Compare that to how many extra provinces you could cater for the same price, and what those rewards would be.
For myself, I could easily complete an extra 4 provinces with far fewer goods, and the rewards would be
  • 44 KP
  • 108 relics
  • 8 runes
  • 4 PoP spells
  • 4 EE spells
And as a bonus I wouldn't have to spend 4-7 days doing the boring as heck supplies quests.

Honestly if you went past quest #90 I think you may have made the wrong choice.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1681

The one thing I'd like to add is that they should try to keep some of the better daily rewards for the end of the event.
Certainly the best pop/culture building in any event should come up in the last week, not on day 8.
Indeed.

The final 9 quests didn't have a reasonable cost:reward at all.
Even ignoring the gruelling tedium of the supplies quests, the goods costs alone were a huge turnoff, and just made no sense compared to spending those goods in the tournament instead....
and
...compare that to how many extra provinces you could cater for the same price, and what those rewards would be.
For myself, I could easily complete an extra 4 provinces with far fewer goods, and the rewards would be...
I might have said this before, but I don't think "they" (the developers) are attempting to make advancing in the game easier for the player.... :cool:(watchout - conspiracy theory coming up) :cool:.
The events are a nice diversion, but planning the quests in a certain way gives an opportunity to "vacuum" any extra resources from players thereby slowing them down. I don't think this is necessarily completely a negative thing - you have certain resources to develop a game and you have to keep coming up with new material, not easy. As player you just have to keep thinking whether you want that glittering prize or something else. Or as I do wait for someone to think for me and publish the results ;) .

...and as a bonus I wouldn't have to spend 4-7 days doing the boring as heck supplies quests.
Looking back this last year and considering all the events and my daily/weekly schedule I really don't know how many of these events (especially the long ones) I would have managed to finish without those spoiler lists that allow advance planning. I didn't get anywhere near the end with this last one even with a spoiler list, although it might have something to do with me agreeing with the following...
Honestly if you went past quest #90 I think you may have made the wrong choice.
...I myself started to think that long before getting anywhere near #90, but my approach to that wasn't as calculated as Soggy's - more like "I don't wanna" :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser283

this is an excellent analysis of how this event went;
my recommendation is to stop following the event after having won second great prize, as we all know that 3rd GP is impossible to reach, unless you buy it with diamonds or are very lucky with the chests you open - that is winning tons of extra sugar beets, in this case.

I was rather satisified with the great prizes this time, but maybe it is because they perfectly fit in my current city building strategy : having some strong culture-only building and strong mana-producing ones to fill the rest;

imho, devs went completely out of the way with the "pay goods", "pay supplies", "gain coins" and other such quests;
this is totally negative and makes one feel that the event has been designed for punishing the players;
I can take minute amounts of punishing from time to time but this was ridiculous;
as that girl said "we did not get in here to suffer, ok ?"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1075

Great analysis of the event. I had a few additional comments:

The special fighting abilities buildings that boost your troops’ strength are a good idea. One can collect a few and place them the week your fellowship goes for the Tenth Chest.
I disagree. I actually didn't like these for two big reasons: A) I have no room for these - a 1 by x or x by 1 shape might have a better chance of finding some spare space in my city, but not 2x2; B) Elvenar has not done a good job showing me that the bonuses I already have for troops are actually doing me any good, so I can't see the point in making temporary room for minuscule bonuses. Space is at a premium - if I'm going to put something in my city, I want to know it will work.

my recommendation is to stop following the event after having won second great prize, as we all know that 3rd GP is impossible to reach, unless you buy it with diamonds
Agreed. I stopped before the end on Beta and then stopped around the same time on Felyndral because the quests were not fun and the prizes weren't worth while. I probably should have stopped sooner on Beta, but I was still looking for a good final prize (no real luck there). The great prizes weren't that great and I doubt I will be placing them. On Felyndral where I am still pre-mana, I did place both great prizes buildings and then stopped bothering.

I hope the next event is better. This one was a real slog for as far as I took it, and I heard a lot of whinging about it from my FS along the way.

Jackluyt

Comments added:
  1. Why was it not fun?

My take on this is that the impression one gets is that the design team are inherently stingy!
    They resent giving away anything at all - or so it would appear ..

What I would say to them is that if you want to have a wonderful party where everyone enjoys themselves - you need to have a big bowl of Punch at the door, and hand a free glass to each guest as they arrive.
    Then you spend a few bucks to hire an Oompah band, and ask each of the guys to bring a bottle of schnapps, and the ladies to bring a plate of canapes... ... and voila!

PARTY TIME!

FUN!!

This is not the spirit of the Event that the players are picking up, this time around...
    It seems that the developers resent giving away anything at all - and must extract their pound of flesh for each little trinket that they grudgingly shell out...

Why not give away some really big mystery prizes?
    A couple of expansions, a blue print or two...
    ... most of us would not win them - but it would add the spice to the Event that is at present sadly lacking.....

2. Overall consensus was that the ‘Pay xxx of yyy’ quests asked for ridiculously large amounts of materials - and players resented having to part with those, and see their city growth and Tournament play grind to a halt...
    ... the design team extracting their 'pound of flesh'! :)