• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

New Game Features [Feature] Travelers who give bonuses

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser1899

Summary
A new game feature that adds developable characters to live and work within your city.

Description
"Hearing of your cities growth and success, a traveler has arrived at your city, offering you their services in exchange for lodgings and income"
Once a week you will get this message, you can either accept their offer to work and live in your city or reject them.. When you accept their offer a screen will pop up letting you give them a name and portrait... Each traveler will have a specific skill they can add to your city and it is totally random which traveler will offer their services to you... You can collect all the various travelers but only 3 may be used at one time, and the 3 that are currently being used , their portraits will appear under the players portrait on the left side of the screen.. Each traveler can gain experience and grow further increasing their benefit for using them.

Travelers:
1) The Bard --- The bard brings with them stories and song that will increase the culture of your city... The bard gain experiences thru a player doing neighborly and fellowship visits, this would represent them traveling to various cities and learning their stories and songs to bring back and enhance your own city.. Each visit you do will add +1 experience ... Level 1 bard adds +1% culture bonus and his max level should be 10 which would add a +10% culture bonus...

2) The Sentinel --- The sentinel travels and protects your trade caravans, Since the caravan feels safe they give a discount on trades fees since there is less risk involved in traveling great distances to do trade... For every trade accepted the sentinel gains 1 experience.. a level 1 sentinel reduces the traders fee by -1% to a max of level 10 which the trade fee is reduced by -10%.. Yes there is a wonder that does reduce the fee but it is not available till much later in the game.. The sentinel would provide newer players a chance at reduced fees..

3) The Rogue --- The rogue knows how to find and acquire things cheaper then what can be purchased.. Every time you make a purchase from the wholesaler the rogue gains +1 experience.. A level 1 rogue reduces the wholesaler costs by 2.5% to a max of level 10 which would reduce the wholesaler costs by 25%.. This would help with a lot of the high costs the new wholesaler has..

4) Master Of Arms --- The master of arms is a highly skilled warrior who will train your troops for you, giving them the benefit of his combat experience.. The master of arms gains +1 experience for every squad trained in the buildings that share the training que of the barracks.. A level 1 master of arms adds +1% damage and -1% damage taken for your units.. His max level also is 10 which would add +10% damage and -10% damage taken..

5) The Adventurer --- The adventure goes out and adventures in the unknown wilderness in search of fame and fortune, in this process when the adventurer returns home they bring back maps and charts of previously unknown regions and maybe even a small treasure.. an adventurer gains +1 experience from every day you have them active.. A level 1 adventurer will randomly scout one of your unexplored provinces every 2 weeks and has a 2.5% chance of brining back a chest which should contain a random treasure like runes or something.. An adventurers max level is 10 which would reduce his exploring time down to 1 week and give a 25% chance they return with a chest.. This in essence would give you an extra scout with no scouting costs, a slow scout but still an extra scout.. Also the chests can contain things that the#7 needs

6) The Magistrate --- With the magistrate also comes the sense of law, order and safety in your city, which in turn attracts more people who want to live in your safe and lawful city.. The magistrate gains experience thru the building and upgrading of residences .. A level 1 magistrate gives a population bonus of +1% to a max of level 10 which would give a +10% population bonus...

7) The Hero --- The hero accompanies your units into combat and does not count towards the 5 squad limit.. A hero gains +1 experience for every enemy squad destroyed in battle... The hero can be equipped with armor and weapons that can be found in chests to make him/her stronger.. As a hero levels their health, damage,movement, damage reduction also improves... If a hero dies in combat you must wait several days to resurrect them.. a low level hero is relatively week and must be protected, but a high level hero equipped with armor and weapon would be a force to recon with... Heroes can not be used on auto fighting, and I feel the hero concept would make more people want to do or learn manual combat and add a twist to the combat.

8) The General --- The general uses his leadership and experience to command a battle, and does not count towards the 5 squad limit and can only be used on manual battles.. The general gains experience from friendly squads that survive the combat.. The general physically does not get stronger as he levels, but his leadership skills do, so the general must be protected...
Generals skills:
1) Bodyguard -- a general can put experience points into this skill to gain a bodyguards.. The body guards do not add to the squad size, but instead add to the generals health, to represent the fact they are actively trying to protect the general..
2) Forced March --- A general can inspire his troops to move faster... This skill would increase the base movement of all squads in battle
3) Combined Fire ---- When a ranged unit fires on a enemy squad, this ability would give all ranged units a small chance to add their support to the attack as long as they are in range.. This support attack does not count towards a squads normal attack...

More skill can be added or taken away to better balance the concept of the hero and the general, and I'm pretty sure I left out some details, I just wanted to get the feel if this is even worth the effort to try and implement before I progress this idea even further.. I have ideas for other travelers and I'm pretty sure that some of you have ideas also and feel free to add them to this thread... Other traveler ideas I have involve the scholar who reduces knowledge points and resources needed to unlock knowledge.. And the architect who further reduces build and upgrade times..

Motivation
It would add a new aspect to the game both for combat and further personalizing a city. It would add a new game element, encouraging the player to make more strategic decisions. Also as a bonus, this would us to make named premium travelers to sell for diamonds to players who don't want to wait a week for another traveler to appear...

Possible Downsides
Could make the game more complimented and could make the Ancient Wonders and Instants less attractive, if they'd give the same kind of bonuses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dhurrin

+1 Lovely ideas
I think the ideas do need to be tuned down a bit,like the hero getting+1% for every squad destroyed, I think that will go way too fast, so I'd suggest +1% for every encounter won.
And the master of arms should not get his boost for every squad...some players will have that boost inside a day, so why not say that one needs to train 1 squad of every type available? Makes it much more challenging.
Sentinel same thing...don't make it too easy too boost him.

So all in all I like the idea very much, I just think the way to upgrade them needs to be tuned a bit, it should take some effort (and additional coins/supplies/goods) to actually upgrade them when the first requirement has been fulfilled. Balance in this as well. Not too easy, but not too hard either.

Also, they might for instance require some kind of maintenance to convince them to stay, on a weekly or monthly basis or so, or they will be traveling on.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1899

@Dhurrin

Yep I agree.. I do not think I did good enough job explaining the leveling system for each traveler.. I had a lot of different thoughts floating around and forgot to add and clarify some things..

from level 1 to 2 would take 100 experience points
from level 2 t0 3 would take 250 experience points
from level 3 to 4 would take 500 experience points
From level 4 to 5 would take 800 experience points
From level 5 to 6 would take 1150 experience points
From level 6 to 7 would take 1500 experience points
from level 7 to 8 would take 2000 experience points
from level 8 to 9 would take 2500 experience points
from level 9 to 10 would take 3000 experience points

A traveler would only gain the +% bonus after completing each level, so in case of the sentinel they would get 1% accumulative bonus after each level to a max of 10%

The experience points would reset after each level so from level 1 to level 10 would take a total of 11,800 visits, trades accepted, squads destroyed, wholesaler purchases, units alive and units trained to gain level 10 ... I had originally thought this process would take a long time but then a city also takes a long time to progress.. This would be over a long time developing travelers.. Some would go quicker then others

This template will not work for the adventurer or the magistrate and any thoughts would be appreciated on how to level them fairly

DeletedUser1305

I like the Idea, however except for some new battle units I fail to see where the other character differ from an ancient wonder we already have or might come?
Could you maybe further elaborate on that?

DeletedUser1899

I like the Idea, however except for some new battle units I fail to see where the other character differ from an ancient wonder we already have or might come?
Could you maybe further elaborate on that

The travelers do not take up city space as an ancient wonder does, and I think they would be a way of making a persons city building experience more unique by having developable personalities that live within your fantasy city..

A few of the travelers actually fill needs previously asked for.. like the adventurer -- people wanted an extra scout, and the adventurer provides a way of getting a limited extra scout that makes sense... People are complaining about the prices in the new wholesaler, that the price is not worth what you get in return for your gold, and the rogue solves this problem by lowering the prices as you develop the rogue... The sentinel provides a way to get reduced trader fees which are not available until you reach the end of the fairy chapter and build the traders guild, also the sentinel encourages trade as a side result of people trying to develop the sentinel... The master of arms would provide a way for new players to actually be able to win in combat and would be a great benefit for those in chapter 1 and 2 that have problems winning fights..

Dhurrin

I agree. Though I do feel they should need some kind of upkeep coost every week or they will travel on. Or perhaps since they are travellers they will travel on after a week, or a month, regardless.

DeletedUser1901

This idea reminds me of the Standing Stones in Skyrim. Seems like it has some pretty nice potential.

Marindor

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately this idea didn't meet our requirements for 20 indivual votes and will therefore now be archived. Some of the votes in this idea have been done by multi accounts to get to the 20. I'd like to urge everyone not to try to manipulate our polls that way. Thank you.