• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Elvarian Carnival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashrem

We all know that events always ask to scout or complete provinces; it's player strategy ensure that this won't negative affect its own game.
I have done every single event since 2017, and I never had this problem. I'm not a genius, I simply do only necessary scouts.
Sadly, play style comes into it. I have one city I started in 2016 which is only just entering orcs. I've come to a hard stop in all of the recent events because I can't complete any more encounters in the wild without diamonds. I have 6 Phoenix artifacts, 4 stonehenge, 4 mermaid, and 2 gingerbread and have not bothered to place any of the buildings.

Players do not all progress at the same speed.

Ashrem

If you count phoenixes & bears into calculation, then the best tournament cities are the most old & advanced at the same time (due to scouted provinces count).
You don't need phoenixes & bears to get 4k points, but you need them to get 10k+ points.

In other words, low chapter tournament only cities are kind of obsolete these days, altough they can be usefull for some FSs which are incapable to do the 10th chests otherwise.
That's simply not true true. The best Phoenix is equal to 1 extra Enlightened Light Range or Magnificent Mage Multiplier building if you feed it about 3-5 times.

I broke 8,000 points in tournament before the phoenixes and bears existed (Jan 2018), and I would have had more but I didn't have enough provinces scouted and time to do more than five rounds in most of the provinces.

justpeeking

I would like to ask you guys to move your discussion about tournament-centric play-style and what is the up and downside of it to a separate topic. This topic is about the current event and a much larger number of player is effected by the poorly designed quests then just tourny people.
Also criticizing those who complain about a certain quest on the basis that "it was always like this" or "that is players' choice" is not very polite and not at all productive. Quests are changed and fine tuned based on those complains and sometimes despite of those complains, but nevertheless the complains are a major driving force of changes.
E.g. the manufacturing quests were really a pain in winter event and was only a cosmetic change to the autumn event when those "produce a huge amount of t1 goods" style of quest was announced. Now I find them as the biggest improvement of this event.

On the other hand the researching quest is something developers must touch for every single event, for no apparent reason. And there are other quests which are show-stoppers, like the "buy 10 kp" or the "complete a province". None of them are stopping the completion of the event for good, but they can cause severe delay, when they are repeated several times.
And here is where I find the root of the problem: the endless quest system allows unlimited repetition of any quest. I had a nice variety of quests until quest 65 or so and I was happy that the quest system was enhanced. But since then I see little variation and I guess I was only lucky at the beginning. The pattern
q(uest)1
q2
q1
q2
q1
is back again, no improvement to the system at all. And it is bad experience even if the q1 and q2 quests are not particularly painful.

If they can't fix this repetition they must limit the amount of certain quest. When the quest-line was fixed, it was balanced that way that the painful quests came only in 2-3 times. Yes, there was always research quest, but there was just a few. Yes, we had to buy kp, but only a certain, fixed amount. We could get away with a small amount of scouted province to complete them when needed. And so on...
This unlimited repeat must end! If somebody received e.g. 5 "buy kp" quest than that quest must be ruled out for the rest of the event (or at least until you reach the "bonus quests").
But obliviously the best would be to fix the system, so you don't see the above pattern over and over again or at all. Quest would not return until you complete another 10 or so different quest. This would ensure that no quest repeat too many times, and also the event would be a way better fun to play.

Karvest

q1-q2-q1-q2 was their solution for q1-q1-q1-q1, but it is definitely not enough. This pattern starts right after first segment (quest 30), you was lucky if you noticed it only at quest 65...

TomatoeHu

If it only takes 24-48 hours to complete a quest, you have it easy. Research a Technology paired with upgrade to 16 or higher - this quest combination is impossible to progress for some players so i would take a 24-48 hour possible quest, over being dead in the water at the beginning on the event. Slow is better than nothing. These quests do not affect me personally, i just wanted to say that there are worse endings then waiting.

@Marindor @Scoobydoo or whomever is moderating, can please confirm any changes to the quests since Carnival was released? Twice I have signed into the game in the morning and the quest I was working on has been changed to an entirely different one.

Jackluyt

Not sure which higher power bestowed such a right on everyone. Game creators design games according to their game philosophy, allowing for more or less flexibility along the way. That's why we have different games.

I am not going to get distracted and enter into a bickering match over the wrongs and the rights of this issue.
:(
All I have to add is that as the moderator of the largest fully-independent Elvenar Facebook group, I am in touch with the opinions of a heck of a lot of 'ordinary' Elvenar players, not just the super-geeks and high-level game experts who post here in the Forums. And I can assure you that there are lots of ordinary players who are irked and disappointed by several of the quests in this current event - particularly as these issues have been raised over and over again, and it appeared that the game designers were listening to the player feedback, and had made an effort to 'fix' the quest set, as evidenced by the previous event which was accessible to virtually everyone - though it did perhaps tend to be a bit boring and repetitious...

The current event has undone several of those positive changes, so that a large number of 'ordinary' players have been knocked out of the event totally in the first week - or are forced to spend Diamonds to get past 'impossible' quests.
We are wondering what made them bring back these 'difficult' or 'impossible' quests - without the very acceptable 'alternatives' that they introduced to fix these issues? We were so glad to have seen a more do-able quest set, with the indication that they were working on improving it still further.
:)

Is it possible that there are two game design teams working independently, without consulting one another?

Dony

King of Bugs
You are ignoring second group of players who wanted this types of quests back, what about them? For them this was a fix.

lika1961

Does the second group want "gain 15 Vision Vapour", "produce x supplies", "gain 20 Vision Vapour" in short succession? I agree that there are improvements compared to last time, but there is still work to be done. "Scout a province or upgrade to level 16" 3 times so far is not an improvement. It does seem like the devs sometimes forget or ignore certain issues that exist for both beginner and last chapter players. Not being able to upgrade a building to level 16 and thereby being disqualified from the event is not right. Being a last chapter player with no buildings left to upgrade and being disqualified in that way is also not right. "Upgrade 3 buildings to level 4" is something mostly everybody will be able to do. Why not do that? And getting coin and supplies instants in almost every single chest is definitely no good. So far I'm still not having a lot of fun with this event.

Wowwie

just a Note
Quest Scout one province or upgrade one building lvl 16 or ,ore
is not random ithe quest is stuck IIts been 5 times in a row being in Construct makes it very frustrating to do as Scouting is hours to complete as well as having a building stage 1 plus is hours to complete

palmira

I had one explore one province (with only research as alternative) that stalled me for 3 days, but I am on the "bonus" part of the event, I spent all my candies and I only have 5 artefacts ( a few flags away from the 6th). I am not really interested in building the evolving building but anyone who is will be hard pressed to get the 9 artefacts needed for a fully upgraded valentine thingie.

I think people on the dev team are looking for the balance on the events but this one is a clear miss. We usually don't get a full event for valentine so no big deal here but please rethink the number of candies or whatever for the next events. This one was on the (very) stingy side

justpeeking

I had one explore one province (with only research as alternative) that stalled me for 3 days, but I am on the "bonus" part of the event, I spent all my candies and I only have 5 artefacts ( a few flags away from the 6th). I am not really interested in building the evolving building but anyone who is will be hard pressed to get the 9 artefacts needed for a fully upgraded valentine thingie.

I think people on the dev team are looking for the balance on the events but this one is a clear miss. We usually don't get a full event for valentine so no big deal here but please rethink the number of candies or whatever for the next events. This one was on the (very) stingy side
They ARE "rethinking" on the fly right now, but on the opposite way. I was completing quest #122 (Gain 800 Spell Fragments OR Upgrade 1 building to level 4 or higher), the quest window said the reward is 47 candies, but when I claimed, the "awesome window" showed that I received only 20 candies. Now the #123 quest (Produce fresh Supplies for the local food market) already shows that I will get only 20 candies as a reward.
So you are lucky if you already reached beyond quest #130 and collected those candies, because there is obviously a sudden cut back of candies now. It looks developers think even 5 artifacts is too much. :((((

iDavis

@justpeeking I'm afraid there might be a bug caused by daily quests, which we didn't have last time (or actually since quest segmenting ever, so there was no way to find it before). I remember my first day of this event, when I looked at my first quest from endless questline, had 13 candies as a reward. I didn't finish it right away and in the meantime I completed first daily quest, what increased it's reward to 14. So if this is true (and if I remember this correctly, but your explanation fits very well (taking into account how many daily quests we had until now)), daily quests might be counting in endless questline numbering.

EDIT: Just made a quick check and this bug is indeed in the game.

Last edited:

palmira

@iDavis: I think it must be it because 47 was my max reward before I entered the "bonus" part so daily quests must indeed be counting.

justpeeking

Can confirm getting quests from 4 segment with 20 candies as reward (can be seen in dev tools).
Was this there from the start or is it a change they made later? That is one thing, that a later quest gets lower rewards than the previous ones. And another thing is that the reward change during the quest is completed or collected. This later thing suggests that devs made a change during the #122 quest was waiting for completion.
And it looks to me what @iDavis described is a different bug (it increase the number of candies), although daily quest was indeed also completed at the same time as quest #122 and I claimed candies from the daily quest just before I claimed from the random quest.
So I am not sure what to think.

Karvest

Was this there from the start or is it a change they made later? That is one thing, that a later quest gets lower rewards than the previous ones. And another thing is that the reward change during the quest is completed or collected. This later thing suggests that devs made a change during the #122 quest was waiting for completion.
And it looks to me what @iDavis described is a different bug (it increase the number of candies), although daily quest was indeed also completed at the same time as quest #122 and I claimed candies from the daily quest just before I claimed from the random quest.
Your thing looks exactly like what he described, once you pass 131 quests total (sum of both daily and regular) you get 20 candies as reward instead of what you'd get for that quest if you haven't touched daily quests at all).
And it definitely was there from the beginning.

DeletedUser2236

We do have 14 days to go, so daily quests and pickups should get you another artefact at least but then that still seems low.

justpeeking

Your thing looks exactly like what he described, once you pass 131 quests total (sum of both daily and regular) you get 20 candies as reward instead of what you'd get for that quest if you haven't touched daily quests at all).
And it definitely was there from the beginning.
Now I get it.
However here is another oddity: I finished quest #124 and then the quest line jumped straight to "bonus section". #125 is "Produce [9 hours] 3 times with a Workshop from your current or previous three Chapters".
First I thought I miscalculated the number of quest I completed, but then I realized, even if I did, first should come the "gain supply" and "gain coin" quest, only after that the "bonus quest" suppose to start.
Is the random quest-line shortened and those "gain ..." quests omitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.