• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Other Dislike Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser231

If there is a LIKE button why is there no dislike button?

DeletedUser58

Likely because they wouldn't want negativity on the forum. It's going to happen anyway, but at least they wouldn't be provoking it directly by having a button that provides an ill-received notification for another player. A like might cheer up someone but a dislike won't. :D

DeletedUser231

Likely because they wouldn't want negativity on the forum. It's going to happen anyway, but at least they wouldn't be provoking it directly by having a button that provides an ill-received notification for another player. A like might cheer up someone but a dislike won't. :D

Quite the opposite. It might correct unsuitable material. Thus promoting likes instead of dislikes. Not everything is ROSEY bed of flowers....Sometimes a little manure comes in..:p

More and more I find people bending over backwards trying to be politically correct at the determent of general society....people afraid to speak their minds and call things like they really are. Like bald people not being called bald but now they are follically challenged. I could go on and on but that would spam this subject and not pertaining to the subject.

A dislike would be perfect but guess people not like to criticize others, when they do it so often....

DeletedUser58

Could be a whole different reason though, I just listed that because it's common from some other forums I've visited. One can get more from a full comment, even if it's criticizing, because it would usually state what precisely isn't liked or why, as opposed to just clicking "dislike" on something a member doesn't like. For example if a member just dislikes an update changelog instead of saying they didn't like a specific feature or a listed bug wasn't fixed, that's loss of information. Or it may be the forum comes with pre-installed features and the liking one is available while there's no disliking feature.

Just personal thoughts and opinion obviously, but there are at least a few good reasons for not having one.

DeletedUser

I believe both like and dislike button are not really needed.
The forum is here to discuss things rather than just click like or dislike.
In some cases you have the option to start a vote to get quick answers over a certain subject I think that´s enough.

DeletedUser31

I believe most people don't want to receive lots of negative feedbacks, many users can not tolerate them and they can become someone who they are not. And many people (trolls) would just spam all dislike buttons just because they can. If you don't like some part of a comment or one whole comment you can post your opinion by quoting the necessary parts. But if you totally agree with one (i think like means that someone just wrote my own thoughts) you can cliclk the like button and you don't have to post "I agree with XY" or "+1".

So I like the like button, but I don't like the dislike button idea.

We have no desire to create a dislike button, nor does XenForo offer it. Where a like button comes in handy to prevent posts just stating '+1' or something similar, a dislike button would not be as accurate. If you dislike something, we would like to know what it's about exactly, rather than having to guess. And then there is indeed also a (little bit too easy) opportunity for trolls to troll even more, as Hoshi pointed out above. ;)

In any case, we appreciate the suggestion, but we have no desire nor a way to implement it. Therefore, we're locking this thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.