• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion [Discussion] Release Notes version 1.6

DeletedUser651

I do think cutting things down to 16 hours was good, but it needs to be cut down even shorter between levels. Otherwise, a whole lot of people won't be able to play in the tournaments and you lose more people again.

DeletedUser778

same problem in Europe
1) not everyone is German, and not everyone has finished dinner by 20:00; beginning the tournament at 20:00 and completing the first province by 20:30 or before is not for me
Not only Germany is in that time zone...
It should be: Not everyone lives in Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Vatican City, Hungary, Italy, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, or Switzerland. :p
Or short in CET/CEST :D

But I agree even with 16 hours timer it's hard to reach lvl 6, if you are at work or have other things to do.

For me it's starting tuesday at 8pm, so lvl 2 is possible wednesday noon, but then I'm at work, so I can start lvl 2 when I'm back home between 4 and 5 pm, so lvl 3 is available thursaday at around 8:30 am... guess what? -> work, so I can start between 4 and 5 pm again, etc...
So lvl 6 is only available to me if there are holidays, vacation, or I'm sick, but not too sick.

DeletedUser338

I mean, that's something that will always happen. There's always someone who'll get screwed by the timezones.
And I also don't find it a huge problem that I can't reach level 6. Games always reward those who p(l)ay the most, I don't expect this game to do any different.

DeletedUser651

I'm not just talking about someone though. Pretty much anyone in the entire United States is screwed. If you are on the East coast then the tournament starts at 1pm and the next day at 5 in the morning....if you are in Chicago it starts at 12 noon and then 4 in the morning the next day, in Denver it starts at 11am and then 3 in the morning and in California it starts at 10am and then 2 am.

I don't see why you would do that to your entire US audience on the entire US server. It just seems to leave out a lot of your audience. But whatever. Not my company.

DeletedUser283

it is commonplace with Inno, they choose their timing according to what pleases them;
they are Greman, and they live on German timing (and not just CEST) : they have lunch after 1 PM, so that updates have to be pushed before this or after 2 PM; they have dinner early, and their games use 8 PM as start/end/calculation time
on top of that, you just cannot organize a game globally while adapting each localized server to its local time, because servers are still geographically based and operated/maintained in Germany.
at the end of the day, some regions with particular time differences compared to CEST will feel they get screwed;
now I live in Europe and when a province level opens at some crazy hour during the night I feel screwed too :D

DeletedUser778

I think the carter re balancing was a bit too much.
289 Provinces done:
qNGgfeCylDOB.png

DeletedUser

Thanks LordB for posting this info, it really highlights how out of control the catering costs are at the moment. Doing one province only from level 1 to level 5 will cost more than 130k goods. How is that reasonable??
I can see there was no changes in the tournament today, so, is this situation even being looked into? Are you trying to deplete all player's goods before you do something about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser283

All great and wonderful...but where's the icing for skilled builders? Fighters get to rack up thousands of score points?
We might as well go on an advertising campaign to inform all entering players that the game is now biased towards fighters. Sounds like something to do with my time during the 3 hours breaks between active play time.

should the game ever be biased toward fighters, barracks would be much faster
which is not the case so far ...

DeletedUser1075

Unless you've been contributing to an Ancient Wonder that's likely to level at some point during the next 15 hours.

True, but a better solve for that would have been a screen for you to accept the reward. That way, you definitely know you got it and you don't have it land in your city without being prepared for it. I still haven't built a magic academy, and I still can't justify the space.

The prizes are available to all players. It's a player's own choice not to fight. Less advanced players may have cheaper cater costs, but they also have a lot less provinces discovered. Yes, players will have to defeat each other to get the top ranking spots, but that's what tournaments are all about. This might encourage more people to participate in the tournaments.

People who pay big bucks can participate in the tournaments like everyone else. However, this gives players who can't afford diamonds, or don't want to buy them, an opportunity to gain 1000 points without spending money. I don't think the heavy spenders will dislike this feature. Players will still need to buy diamonds if they really want a top ranking spot.

I suspect it will be the same players each week getting the few 1k point spots. Or rotating among a small group. This means we'll have the diamond spenders plus the active fighters at the top. I know I can never get the 1k points bonus, so this is a bit of a demotivator for me.

underachievementpenguindemotivator.jpeg

DeletedUser

should the game ever be biased toward fighters, barracks would be much faster
which is not the case so far ...

Although I agree with you that the barracks are way too slow, at the moment the game is indeed biased for fighters, because non fighters have a very slim chance of being able to do much in the tournaments. If the problem is that fighters could take advantage of lower catering costs to double dip ( doing catering and fighting at the same time), then make the catering costs depend on the level of your barracks. That way players that don't fight and have a low level barracks can have the catering costs adjusted accordingly, and fighters will be penalised if they try to cater too much.

Something has to change, otherwise non fighters are pretty much excluded from participating in the tournament.

DeletedUser629

I've been able to clear the first 17 provinces with minimal cater costs. I did it with auto fighting. Silk is hilariously easy as an elf. I almost felt sorry for my enemies. Golem III and sorceress III are unstoppable together. I throw in the occasional treant because they're cheaper to recruit, but i really didn't lose that many goods. I did all this in an hour.

DeletedUser

I've been able to clear the first 17 provinces with minimal cater costs. I did it with auto fighting. Silk is hilariously easy as an elf. I almost felt sorry for my enemies. Golem III and sorceress III are unstoppable together. I throw in the occasional treant because they're cheaper to recruit, but i really didn't lose that many goods. I did all this in an hour.

You are missing the point... auto-fighting is still fighting and it still takes time. If fighting, manually or auto is mandatory in the game, then we shouldn't have a quest in the tutorial misleading players into believing that negotiating/catering is a just as valid way to play the game. Saying," oh the catering costs are too high, but don't worry, you can auto-fight" it is not an answer for players that for one reason or another choose not to fight.

Inno needs to be upfront about this, and either fix this imbalance or tell us straight out that the game has changed and from now on players need to accept the only way to play this game is by fighting. If that's the case Inno should change the tutorial and stop telling players that they can play as they wish.

DeletedUser

I just cleared this week's first 13 provinces on US1. It took 3.5 hours, because I didn't want to lose units on autofight. I stI farted a spreadsheet of the catering costs...but no point in printing because they're virtually identical to LordB's above.

I feel tired of the time constraints - the effect has become tedious. What other game dictates like this one? Generally, I want to play a game when I want to play it: lots right now, none til tomorrow, then a few minutes, then perhaps more the next day...

Elvenar has gone crazy with their attempt to make us behave like trained monkeys. No, don't play now, not now, not now, okay we have something for you to do for a few minutes, but no more now wait 3 hours....months of this and now it's start exactly now and play for hours or else, now wait again and either get up in the middle of the night or fall behind, then nothing for 14 hours except every 3 hours a few minutes, then nothing nothing, then watch the clock and fight for hours...

(laughing at myself for that bit of a ramble, I probably shouldn't be watching Vicious while trying to write!)

But anyway, it's lost some of the fun. Even as competitive as I am, I prefer a pastime I can control, rather than feeling controlled.

And total agreement with @madzix above post - exactly so!

DeletedUser867

players that for one reason or another choose not to fight
This is rather like going to college, and griping because you have to take some core humanities courses even though you're only interested in engineering, or the other way round.

"Making" players participate in all aspects of the game, at least a little bit, increases the breath and complexity of the game, which thereby makes the game more challenging, better balanced, and ultimately more satisfying. So eat your vegetables. They're good for you.

he only way to play this game is by fighting
Not even close. I'd say a reasonable range would be somewhere between 70/30 and 30/70 for Catering/Fighting.

If you look at https://us0.elvenar.com/web/game/units, you'll quickly see that Buildings and Troops recieve equal billing.

I prefer a pastime I can control, rather than feeling controlled.
Exactly so. If I wanted something that I HAD to feed every few hours I'd get a dog, or borrow the grandkids for a couple of weeks.

If I want to ignore one of my Elvenar cities for a couple of days I can DO SO, without risking anything that I've already obtained.
I don't want to be chained to a grindstone, regardless of how pretty it might be.

DeletedUser

This is rather like going to college, and griping because you have to take some core humanities courses even though you're only interested in engineering, or the other way round.

"Making" players participate in all aspects of the game, at least a little bit, increases the breath and complexity of the game, which thereby makes the game more challenging, better balanced, and ultimately more satisfying. So eat your vegetables. They're good for you.

Not even close. I'd say a reasonable range would be somewhere between 70/30 and 30/70 for Catering/Fighting.

If you look at https://us0.elvenar.com/web/game/units, you'll quickly see that Buildings and Troops recieve equal billing.

Exactly so. If I wanted something that I HAD to feed every few hours I'd get a dog, or borrow the grandkids for a couple of weeks.

If I want to ignore one of my Elvenar cities for a couple of days I can DO SO, without risking anything that I've already obtained.
I don't want to be chained to a grindstone, regardless of how pretty it might be.

You would be right IF it wasn't for the fact that when you start playing the game, and you do the tutorial, you are told that you can play the game by just negotiating and ignoring fighting. We have been told repeatedly that the quests are there to guide you how to play the game, and the purpose of the Tutorial is to teach you how to play, and it tells you that you can choose to play the game without fighting. I didn't made it up, it is Inno's tutorial that told me I could play that way!

I enjoy fighting, I don't negotiate anything in my main world, I just don't have time to fight in 3 cities. Now, if i had been told from the beginning that the only way to enjoy the game was by fighting, i wouldn't have bothered to create 2 other worlds, investing time and money into them, as i would know i wouldn't have time to keep it up. I also enjoy the challenge of playing in a totally different way in the cities that i don't fight with, it is fun having a different strategy there and I don't want to change it so they are a carbon copy of my main city. What's the point of playing more than one city then?
If Inno wants me ( and other players like me) to stop playing ( and spending cash) in multiple cities, then go ahead and tell me and the other players that's what they want. Don't just pretend that the catering costs are fine and the game is equal for all kinds of players at the moment, because it isn't.

DeletedUser867

when you start playing the game, and you do the tutorial, you are told that you can play the game by just negotiating and ignoring fighting.
I suspect that you're referring to the quest named: The Decision: Steel or Troops.
  1. Listen carefully, my friend!
    Our next steps depend on your decision: Will you research the Barracks and discover more about warfare? Or will you focus on town building and research the Steel Manufactory!
  2. My friend!
    A wise decision! The decision of when you will choose the path of battle or economy always remains open to you.
So you can do the Armory branch first or the Trader branch first. As well you recall, you must research BOTH technologies before you can research the Main Hall.

Decision.png

It's really a stretch to pretend that the above quest suggests anything more than a very local sequencing option. The text says WHEN, not IF.

DeletedUser607

Okay, it's too long ago that I played the early stage of the game. but at some point, the quest system wants you (as far as I recall) to construct the barracks.

and even if you think that you don't like fighting, that thing is now there and can't be sold anymore.

DeletedUser

well, it seems like everyone else thinks the catering costs are fine, so there's no point in me to continue... I just hope you don't find yourselves too busy one of the weeks your boost is on and unable to battle, as catering will cost you dearly ;)

For me, i will just continue to ignore the tournament in those two worlds and stop buying diamonds there. If eventually I feel not participating in the tournament is harming my ability to progress in the game too much i'll just stop playing, like all the other players in all the dead cities that we all have in our neighborhoods :) Inno keeps giving us reason to quit, so no wonder they can't fix the neighborhood problems lol

DeletedUser1548

@madzix, even though I'm a fighter I agree with you. Tutorial is one thing but Wiki also suggests we have a choice:
Explore the vast World Map to acquire the knowledge of your wise ancestors and discover new technologies. Negotiate or fight over powerful Relics to boost your production.
You can either become a skilled and well-known trader, refine your producing art or lead your troops to victory in 3D-animated battles, the decision is up to you.
https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

My problem with tournaments is not really about costs of negotiations - I fight or resign. But I believe it may be problematic for most.
My problem is in the amount of fights we need to finish. Seriously, who can stand fighting like million times? Every week? Doing over and over the same?
After playing 1 tournament I stopped fighting manually even when new province open. Auto-fighting in tournaments also makes me sick. I feel like a robot just after few provinces.
I'm afraid I got permanently broken. Thanks Inno...

Plus... I'm still unable to comprehend how in the city builder game military tournament is the first 'multiplayer' option. In a broken neighbourhood! ;)

I really like Elvenar. It relaxes me. I like people in my brotherhood. It's nice to play a game for old people, etc.
But it is a bit difficult to play in peace when almost every new feature turns out to be... rotten.

DeletedUser1231

well, it seems like everyone else thinks the catering costs are fine, so there's no point in me to continue.
I too find too high caterings cost, but I enjoied doing a calculation.
I finished the era of the fairies and I produced a day 33 000 the goods level 1,42 000 the goods level 2 and 17 200 goods level 3.
What makes me a production for 3 weeks of 700 000 goods level 1, 880 000 goods level 2 and 361 000 goods level 3 (he stays in me some more of place, I am thus going to be able to with no problem at all put back one or 2 buildings of every time buildings fairies deleted)

I am a fighter, I thus have buildings to produce units which take me (a lot) of place of (a lot of) culture.
If I am a not fighter I am thus going to get back this place to produce goods (approximately 30 % more) what brings me to a production for 3 weeks of :

910 000 goods level
1 1 115 000 goods niveau2
470 000 goods level 3

lordB to show that were needed 1 000 000 of the goods level 1, 900 000 goods level 2 and 830 000 goods level 3 for
Make 5 levels of the first 7 provinces.
If I manage well my productions, I shall be thus capable of making the tournaments which concern my relics boosted (all 3 week)

Well on I did not take into account needs in goods for the explorations.
This is why I consider that trading costs are too high at present but it is not impossible either.

A good compromise shall be to decrease in approximately 40 % the cost of the negotiations to make accessible in players "pacifist" the tournaments but not make too easy the tournaments for the players fighters