• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Discussion Coming to Beta: Fellowship Chat and Hardware Acceleration

Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss our announcement regarding the Fellowship Chat and Hardware Acceleration. The announcement can be found here.

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

DeletedUser317

Hello.
The hardware acceletation thing, will be a improvement to the problem of the loading others cities (crash game after few visit) ? or only in the speed of loading them?

Edit: copy and paste will be enable in chat? there will be restrictions to post internet directions?

Edit 2: are language filters enabled?

DeletedUser778

The benefits of hardware acceleration
Hardware acceleration helps to increase overall performance in the Elvenar city. This is especially true for players with bigger cities and players with older machines. Hardware acceleration gives us the opportunity to add more life (e.g. in the form of animations) to the Elvenar cities later. Examples could be animals running around or birds flying. Furthermore it prepares us to grow cities even further, which is particularly interesting in later stages of the game.

SQUIRRELS! I want squirrels. Give me squirrel! NOW :p

DeletedUser118

tn7yjbfg.jpg

You asked for it...

I'm really looking forward to the chat and also hope this acceleration thingie helps to improve the usability of this game.

DeletedUser778

Cute little squirrels ♥ :rolleyes:
Yes let's hope the best. Chat is really great and when the accelerations helps people with old machines and further developing of nice things like squirrels running around its great too :)

DeletedUser867

Hmmm - maybe I can talk Santa into bringing me a new video card.

DeletedUser283

chat is useful and needed, this is great !
hardware acceleration may be a good thing, provided we do not run into the same endless bugs we faced with FoE o_O ;
so please, pretty please, with sugar on top:D, keep the possibility for players to disable hardware acceleration on their game, otherwise instead of forcing some players to test it, you will force them out because the game will become unplayable for them;
this is particularly true for some of them using old laptops with a GPU set that is far from the usual Nvidia or ATI most people have on their desktops ;);
birds flying around is useless and CPU consuming;
besides, I run Elvenar without animations because my machine is not exactly top notch ^_^

The hardware acceletation thing, will be a improvement to the problem of the loading others cities (crash game after few visit) ? or only in the speed of loading them?
We hope that the hardware acceleration has a positive influence on the issues we've been having, but they are not "the fix" to the problem, so to say. We are working on something else for that - the hardware acceleration is a seperate thing.

Edit: copy and paste will be enable in chat? there will be restrictions to post internet directions?
No to copy, yes to paste. It is also not possible to follow links in the chat as they are not clickable. :)

No.

I'm really looking forward to the chat and also hope this acceleration thingie helps to improve the usability of this game.
So do we! It is what we're going for, anyways! :)

so please, pretty please, with sugar on top:D, keep the possibility for players to disable hardware acceleration on their game, otherwise instead of forcing some players to test it, you will force them out because the game will become unplayable for them;
As stated in the announcement, it will be possible to turn off the hardware acceleration in the settings at least during the initial tests, but we do want to ask everyone to at least give it a proper try and to give us your feedback if it is not working correctly for you. Without feedback, we cannot improve. Help us help you. :)

birds flying around is useless and CPU consuming;
Which is why we don't have it now and most likely won't have it until the hardware acceleration works properly. :)

DeletedUser594

Hi, as a veteran FOE player, Hardware acceleration we had and it could be turned on and off!
But than in their wisdom Inno turned it off and went full blast to this now disliked Flashplayer!
If Inno would for ones taking advise from their playerbase and left it on they would be in a much
better possition!!! Would like to know how many players turned their back and left the Inno games!!
However having said that, Inno's not allone! Lots of other games have the same problems!!
Another problem is some browsers overloading with Flash based advertising, which is not very
helpful at all! Windows going the same way with the new 10 coming out soon!!!!
The only smart people these days are Linux users!!!! It's coming of age: No FLASH = NO INNO!!!
SO, BRING ON HARDWARE ACCELERATION!!!!;);)

DeletedUser

Muf Muf qutoed "The World Map and Battles already use it and we are planning to switch the city soon"

Well from what I have seen recently those are the areas that have the most problematic issues at the moment and almost all of the players are facing ... the World Map / battle maps (frequent blackouts / flash crashing / High CPU usage (which many thought to be memory leakage) / units not loading correctly etc etc) ... and now the dev's plan to switch those issues to the city as well ??:eek:

DeletedUser283

I understand your concern, @ddevil :)
and this is precisely what I begged for earlier (thanks @Muf-Muf for your confirmation) : H/W acceleration must not be forced onto us, and those who experience problems already with the areas where it is activated should be able to test and compare the behavior of the game with it and without it, so that they can report and then choose the setting that fits their machine;
now for the memory leak, there is one indeed, and a big one, when we switch from city to map and from map to city; and this has nothing to do with H/W acceleration, but is more a consequence of inconsistent coding....

Reading back, I find this question a bit ambiguous, so let me rephrase my initial answer a bit: there won't be a filter for "English only" or something, but we will filter out inappropriate words. :)

now for the memory leak, there is one indeed, and a big one, when we switch from city to map and from map to city; and this has nothing to do with H/W acceleration, but is more a consequence of inconsistent coding....
Yes, this memory leak issue is indeed when loading cities, and is being addressed as we speak. It's not an easy fix, though, so it takes some time to get it done. :)

DeletedUser317

Reading back, I find this question a bit ambiguous, so let me rephrase my initial answer a bit: there won't be a filter for "English only" or something, but we will filter out inappropriate words. :)

Ah yeah that what i mean bad word filters ;)

DeletedUser

Chat not functioning yet. Keeps waiting at "loading chat history". I'll try with different browser.

Yes it works now, no problem with ie and chrome but firefox keeps waiting.
I liked it a lot :) it is not small like in FoE and semi-transparent looks good.

Yay, the FS banners is also active!:D
Map looks great with FS banners... Loved it :p

Visited friends to see if blackscreen would happen. This time it happened at the 15th visit (normally around 10) so this acceleration thing has helped but not solved that problem. But apart from that, everything looks crisper and the response of tabs and windows are much quicker!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1148

okay.. chat works... but the world no more... :-(
I'll test furtheron ..... I've to restart..

Edit:
okay, after restarting, all worked fine and quick... but after polishing 10 cities.... the old fault occurs... :-( (okay... yesterday I had to restart after five cities! ggggg)

DeletedUser

Huge negative:
The other person's name is totally grey. I have to look very hard to see who he/she is + missed a few lines my fellow wrote because it is not distinctive.

Please different color for other speakers!

Another thing is the alert. It looks like it shows the red alert when I text, not when fellow does. Gotta keep testing to see whether that's the case..

The other person's name is totally grey. I have to look very hard to see who he/she is + missed a few lines my fellow wrote because it is not distinctive.

Please different color for other speakers!
Please write a thread in the 'Ideas and Suggestions' section on the forum for this, so that we can see what others think as well. :)

Another thing is the alert. It looks like it shows the red alert when I text, not when fellow does. Gotta keep testing to see whether that's the case..
It should show a notification (red number on the chat icon) when someone sends a message. Please let us know your results.

-----------------

Also, we are closing this thread, as we would like to ask you to continue the discussion about the chat in the discussion thread for the update to 0.21. This thread can be found here: