• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Discussion] Behind the Scenes: Battle Redesign

Dony

King of Bugs
you are talking like humans dont have any advantage over elves in other tournaments, its normal to have some which are better for humans and some which are better for elves

DeletedUser736

you are talking like humans dont have any advantage over elves in other tournaments, its normal to have some which are better for humans and some which are better for elves
And what advantage do I have over Elves?

DeletedUser651

It is all true Bobby, but I am trying to stay on the battle only aspect of the game in this thread, which, in itself is deeply flawed regarding the new units. In a nutshell, no reason whatsoever to build the new units until you can have them at level 3.

I agree completely. I was bringing up a totally separate issue, not responding to yours. My issue also pertained to the battle redesign so I had to post it here. Both of us are giving them reasons why the battle system should be tuned down a bit. Just readjust the number of enemies and make the fights easier to win. All fights should be winnable. If not, you cause great imbalances in the game.

DeletedUser118

I was watching the video of the live session on FB from a few days ago today and I was really shocked of what I saw there. Using tournaments to explain the fighting system, where most ppl have the biggest problems when fighting on the MAP was already a bad joke. But then Timon also only faced four opponents in both his test fights and not 6 - 8 which sure would have been harder for him to deal with. I could only shake my head hard. Come on guys, IF you really wanna show your players how to fight the right way with the new system, do it on the MAP and with opponents which are hard to face and not a group every six year old can beat.

In my opinion this was no real help. You rather missed a big chance to give ppl something to work with o_O

Deleted User - 60107

And what advantage do I have over Elves?
Paladins are MUCH better than Treants simply by having a range of 2 instead of 1. That's the first - and only - thing that comes to mind.

DeletedUser736

Paladins are MUCH better than Treants simply by having a range of 2 instead of 1. That's the first - and only - thing that comes to mind.
True, but I am very very far from sure that it does offset the disadvantage of not having tier 3 heavy ranged.

DeletedUser1548

Some people in my fellowship on live server said it is possible to win conflicts on the map again. So... For all of you with >300 provinces it seems it got better. Or something went wrong, again so you better grab your relics and run for your life...

I can't provide any details because I left fighting completely.
When I open army window and see these tabs and I think about 5 units cloned to 15 I feel my stomach can't handle it.
First monotony in provinces (1), then turbo-monotony in tournaments (2), now Battle Redesign promoting hiper-monotony of manual fighting (3). Sorry, no. I will be negotiating.

@Marindor , do you plan making Barracks optional?
With 3 full army packets it would be reasonable to. Or maybe your plan is to make Camp and Ground also undeletable?

(1) I got really bored.
(2) This broke me something inside.
(3) This was the final blow.

DeletedUser1777

IF you really wanna show your players how to fight the right way with the new system, do it on the MAP and with opponents which are hard to face and not a group every six year old can beat.

I'ts interesting, none of you have mentioned his showed fights weren't fair at all. Have a look at his scouted worldmap and the the units he was sending into the fight. I know, why he didn't showed us a fight in a standard province :D

I will show you, why I think his fights don't match to a situation any player would ever face (for the unused players, compare the stars)

his units
seine.JPG

enemy
gegner.JPG

Dony

King of Bugs
That video was targeted for people completely new to battle system showing them basics. Others who play this game for over a year can skip that.

CrazyWizard

the only reason I am building those new units right now is because my barracks are in scafforldings so it wont be able to produce anything.

I really wonder what my production times will be once it reaches the highest level. if it continuous at htis rate it will be 1 second a unit, why dont we just remove the timer and just have a press here, get that button intead, whats the point of "time" when it takes nearly no time to build stuff.

DeletedUser199

For heavens sake give it a break and let's get back to a nice quiet city building game before we all decide we've had enough and go blow our brains out in the next game of warfare.

For building our cities we need space. And in order to get space we have to clear provinces. The problem is that the costs for negotiating are far too high.
Example? to clear a province in ring 14 I need:

90.900 tier-1-goods
78.400 tier-2-goods and
104.500 tier-3-goods

So the only other way to clear a province would be fighting. But winning a battle with the "improved" battle system is absolutely impossible.

If you can't build in a city building game, the game is over.

DeletedUser1721

For building our cities we need space. And in order to get space we have to clear provinces. The problem is that the costs for negotiating are far too high.
Example? to clear a province in ring 14 I need:

90.900 tier-1-goods
78.400 tier-2-goods and
104.500 tier-3-goods

So the only other way to clear a province would be fighting. But winning a battle with the "improved" battle system is absolutely impossible.

If you can't build in a city building game, the game is over.
Except the devs have said that players that have reached these provinces are too far ahead, and shouldn't be able to win in combat anyway. I think it's a ridiculous idea, personally. It's too much meant to cram diamonds down our throats, not much meant to make the game fun so we want to spend diamonds.

DeletedUser1657

Based on the revelation that advanced scouts reduces combat difficulty, I would assume it also impacts negotiating costs in some way. Would be interesting to test, or have a mod confirm.

Dony

King of Bugs
Based on the revelation that advanced scouts reduces combat difficulty, I would assume it also impacts negotiating costs in some way. Would be interesting to test, or have a mod confirm.
it does, it reduce money cost, negotiation cost and enemy squad size by 25% per advanced scout

DeletedUser1721

Squad size 24, 5 groups of elven archers vs 4 groups of ten enemy necromancers. Ring 3. Necromancers completely slaughter me. And yet the game persists in telling me it wants me to do a quest to win five encounters by fighting!

Deleted User - 60107

Unlock the next Squad size upgrade, then try again and you should be able to win that battle.

DeletedUser1721

It's a non-declinable quest I assume?
I THOUGHT it was, but looking back it is not, and I declined it. But that's just another example of why the battle system is.... not tuned well. Why does the chapter 2 city rotating questline include a get five steel relics and win five encounters by fighting quest? I don't think there are even any steel provinces in ring three for my city's location on the map, and as I just said, ring three fighting is impossible, let alone ring four! And yet we are supposed to fight in this ring because there's a rotating quest telling us to?