• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Discussion] Behind the Scenes: Battle Redesign

DeletedUser1095

So long as the Camp doesn't have a queue, it's nothing but a placeholder. And now we have another placeholder military building? By placeholder, I mean it just functions like a tax: you have to pay space/pop/culture to build this building in order to be allowed to produce. ...
Unless there are actual production or bonus benefits given to these buildings, the only reason they exist is to take up space in our city.

Requiring yet another space-taking military building feels quite unreasonable. We've had the mercenary camps sitting idle for ages now. Why not reward our patience by letting the dogs train there instead of in yet another building that serves only to occupy much-needed space?

DeletedUser1596

Wide damage range on priest is very annoying during battle. Having cannoneer in army with the damage range of the "wild cannoneer" will be frustrating. Please, don't do that. I mean, those units are both cool, just change their attributes. This kind of randomness in battle is not fun.

Dony

King of Bugs
Small solution would be to let cerberus train in mercenary camp till new units are made, and with new units release training ground and move cerberus there then as compensation for "failed development of fairies units" :) by that time we should have more space

DeletedUser1345

I still have not seen an explanation of the difference in function between a 1st level merc camp and a 4th level one. I assume that the training grounds will be able to be leveled up as well.

DeletedUser1345

The description of the merc camp is just a carbon copy of the barracks, including the increase of the rate of production by level upgrade. Seems like it is just a barracks display by default, until it gains its function.

DeletedUser651

Bottom line questions from people in my fellowship:

@Muf-Muf, will these new changes make the fights easier to win? If so, how much easier? Will they make the fights harder? Will they be about the same difficulty?

Will it be faster to train the amount of troops we need for a battle?

DeletedUser1548

Wide damage range on priest is very annoying during battle. Having cannoneer in army with the damage range of the "wild cannoneer" will be frustrating. Please, don't do that. I mean, those units are both cool, just change their attributes. This kind of randomness in battle is not fun.
I play as an Elf and sometimes Golems kill 100 units in one shot and sometimes 20. It IS annoying.
Golem III is really strong and is still really good but because of this randomness Golem I was almost useless.

Plus letting Humans use Cannoneers nicely goes with this:

But now comes the but... The "damage the unit can deal, and the distance it can walk, and of course abilities" are exactly what i meant with "barely a difference between human and elves anymore". The Light Melee and Archer units even WILL be the same then. It's like with the ork houses. If you switch one house in an elfen city with a human house no one would realy notice. We have a word for that in german: "Einheitsbrei" (lossly translated: "unity mash"). Everything almost looks the same, feels the same, actualy IS the same. Why not make a little diversity?

When Residences became the same size for Humans and Elves I started to think that it is being unified because of problems with balance for both races. Looking at military changes I see this also.
I don't like the idea of having everything the same except of the skin.

But I really appreciate something is being done recently. Few months ago it looked as if Inno was struggling with this game and seen no way out. There is still a lot of mess but it looks a bit better.

DeletedUser

The description of the merc camp is just a carbon copy of the barracks, including the increase of the rate of production by level upgrade. Seems like it is just a barracks display by default, until it gains its function.

It won't have function, unfortunately. When we open the merc camp to recruit fairy units, they just go into the Barracks queue. Our city only produces one type of unit at a time

DeletedUser118

So it looks like, the fairy units will be added to this game soon too. Finaly I would say. Though, as long as the merc camp doesn't get its own queue or at least shares one with the Cerberus building, I don't really like the idea. Having three buildings with five slots only to use for recruting is really not enough. Please at least give us a few more slots!!!

Dony

King of Bugs
So it looks like, the fairy units will be added to this game soon too. Finaly I would say. Though, as long as the merc camp doesn't get its own queue or at least shares one with the Cerberus building, I don't really like the idea. Having three buildings with five slots only to use for recruting is really not enough. Please at least give us a few more slots!!!
if you check barracks, its already prepared to add 1 more slot, maybe next chapter

DeletedUser1345

I am hoping that this is not a limited purpose building that will not get further developments in its abilities. Like the magic academy, no spells after chapter three. It would be nice if these early chapter late introductions would see some development in later chapters.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1095

... as long as the merc camp doesn't get its own queue or at least shares one with the Cerberus building, I don't really like the idea. Having three buildings with five slots only to use for recruiting is really not enough. Please at least give us a few more slots!!!

As long as there's only one queue for all three buildings, an extra slot or two isn't going to help significantly. I just plain don't want a third building unless it has its own queue, and even so it had better be optional to build it.

Let the dogs train in the merc camp. We've waited so long for the fairy units and deserve a reward, not a new burden on our cities.
And give that baby-doll-looking unit a more valiant appearance, will you please? Fighting baby-dolls are just creepy. Seriously.

DeletedUser

As long as there's only one queue for all three buildings, an extra slot or two isn't going to help significantly. I just plain don't want a third building unless it has its own queue, and even so it had better be optional to build it.

Let the dogs train in the merc camp. We've waited so long for the fairy units and deserve a reward, not a new burden on our cities.
And give that baby-doll-looking unit a more valiant appearance, will you please? Fighting baby-dolls are just creepy. Seriously.

I agree. Having more slots is irrelevant, the only benefit is that we need less armories... oh, wait, we still need the armories to produce orcs! So additional slots won't help at all, what we need is for it to have a separate queue from the barracks. I would even be happy if those special units take a bit longer to produce as long as they have their own queue. Considering they are going to increase the size of the squads, having one queue to produce +7 types of units is simply not enough, it will take days to be able to have one squad of each type. And that way at least we wouldn't feel like we're just using up space in our cities for nothing.

DeletedUser

One Question will the research for the dogs as an human player then change to a mortar research or will humans still have the better dogs?

DeletedUser651

Those flapping fairy wings are epilepsy inducing and migraine producing. Please give players a way to turn off the flapping. This isn't normal game grousing. I am serious about this being a medical issue. In the few seconds of watching the inno tv, I am already triggered. Seriously, please.

edit: I have a very bad migraine now and I am extremely queasy. This isn't a minor thing.

DeletedUser1345

I don't get it. Why not introduce the merc camp in chapter two for the dogs, and have the merc camp research in chapter seven be just a research for the new unit? As it is, there is a training camp that allows for training of an additional unit, then later a new building that allows for the training of additional units. That is like having us build three markets, one that allows us to offer and accept trades for each tier of goods.

DeletedUser

If the programming requires 2 additional buildings,there's no reason they couldn't be 1x1 each...Problem solved.

DeletedUser607

@Bobbykitty: this reminds me of that pokemon episode that was just aired in japan (I've seen the part that was causing problems once): the producers aired some scenes with several seconds of alternating red and blue frames. around 600 children developed an epileptic seizure during that episode, and maybe even more got a migraine. even I, who once had a problem with migraine (I know that pain) felt very uncomfortable with that.

so, yes, this should be considered, at least give a setting to turn that off (even normal people should be glad to have an off-switch, because something permanently flapping is quite irritating.

Deleted User - 1954

Here is my opinion about the announced changes:
- there will be new training grounds for dogs: I am an elven player and I don't want to have such ugly looking dogs in my city many hours of playing before the orcish guest-race comes in, especially not trained in the fairy-style mercenary camp
- I don't understand the fuss about the builded mercenary camp: nobody can push me to build something when I know that the building has no function in the moment - the same is for the training grounds for dog: I can build it, but I don't have to
- a highlight of this game is the aestetic design, but a combat-unit, which function is countrary to its aesthetic, looses its elegance and beauty; because of this I want to emphasize the suggestion of Natzish, who wrote (#60):
The human axeman for example: Let him be good against the heavy melee units. His axe should easily chop down trees or even very well dent the palas armor, and be able to shatter the sworddancers sword. Then again archers and mages are to nimble for him so they evade before he can swing his heavy axe. The golems stone is too hard for the axe and the cannoneer reach is so far that the axeman has trouble reaching him in time.
The elven sworddancer on the other hand would be good against heavy archer units. She can easily attack the joints of the golems and because of her higher dexerty is more effective against cannoneer (maybe increase her distance by one or so). Because of the dexerty she also works better against archers, but mages can stay out of her reach with their magic and her sword does little against heavy melee units.
- I understand the sense of using the existing units before rebalancing (although this is a hint for degradation altogether) when they are cheaper to build afterwards - but I want to have an amount of units as stock, so I can fight provinces and tournament, when I have the time for it (yes fighting in this game is "time-eating") and the changes at squadsize reduces also my amount of stock (at my level to an third), for me this is a reason against using up my existing units

PS: Sorry for bundle 4 different aspects in one post - if requested, I post each aspect in extra answer