• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

[Discussion] Behind the Scenes: Battle Redesign

DeletedUser762

I was looking forward to try out the up-graded treants and archers. What is the point now? I have lost interest. I've almost forgiven inno for the stupid production times, sitting there patiently waiting for my mushrooms to grow, stuck mid.way int the research, thinking, well Ok, at least I have my battles to kill the time. all of a sudden - wham, I don't have this too any more. I do not like tournaments, I was quite happy doing the provinces. I don't know if tournaments are easier or not, why should I be limited or dictated what I can do anyway? somebody likes tournaments, I like provinces. so basically with battles gone the option of getting runes also reduced a lot. so, inoo, what is there to do now in this game?

DeletedUser1711

Aaaaaand the announcement for the change of the battle system is on the life servers. :D

/irony on

I just love how they waited so long to announce it. It shows how thoroughly they tested it and also waited for player feedback and really listened to it as well. Really appreciated, guys. <3

They know so well what we players need and want. Even better than we know ourselfs. <3

/irony off

... ... ..... ......... .................... .................................... I really don't wanna play this game anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1681

Aaaaaand the announcement for the change of the battle system is on the life servers. :D ...
I just love how they waited so long to announce it. It shows how thoroughly they tested it and also waited for player feedback and really listened to it as well....
I got the message too. Took me by surprise, I thought that this system might be tested a more and delayed a bit like the neighbourhood move has been on live servers.
But so be it, the reasoning must be that they want a larger test group - the whole Elvenar live servers community to get more feedback. Will the community (number of live server players) take a hit like on the battlefield remains to be seen.
Disappointed as I am by the haste, I myself have always played this game cause I enjoy building my city - nevermind if I get the expansions by negotiating or fighting (I often used autofight anyways).
If it really turns out that this system totally messes up with getting expansions (without diamonds) then all the charm has gone.

DeletedUser283

tried it, did not like it (who likes to loose ?)
I will do more tests when I am at the end of the tech tree with all possible squad upgrades for this orc-ish chapter.

what I saw : same as Goryn, our units have been badly downgraded, and I had to face enemy squads twice as big as mine in a ring 12 elixir province...
did I scout too much ? is this punishment for actually scouting in advance ? ok, I will stop scouting, and fighting as well, and enter the wonderful world of negociation ... veeeeeery slowly, because my city was not prepared (and probably never will be).

one point : with orc chapter barracks upgrades and 4 armouries, I am now spending more supplies on units than I can produce, and this is another reason not to fight anymore, or I will go bakrupt in no time
and do you know what players do when they reach bakruptcy ingame ? they just stop playing and walk away :p

too bad, I realy needed a few expansions to place those wonders for which I have all runes and no place ... but I have higher priorities for the moment, so all that awesomeness will have to wait ...

DeletedUser607

so far, it seems to have changed less then I thought.

nearly all units still want to slay the light melee ones, who are quite tough.

on the other hand, the mages are still pretty weak (I'd even say, they are weaker now).

I've found my way for the tournament, let's see how it works out at 5 and 6 stars (which I can't do this week).

and yes, I would've wished for more testing time too. but since I don't play on any regular server... I don't care much.

DeletedUser1405

I tried several figths and each time I had to retreat - often three of my five units were gone before I could kill even one enemy unit. The discrepancy is just too big!!!

I´m wondering if the new Fairy-Units could be that strong to turn the favor back on my side, but I´m afraid they won´t be much help, either.

BTW: My squad size is 1059 and I have additional troop health of 12,1 % (Martial Monestary at level 12). I guess the majority of players has lower battle stats. So, I don´t know how players are supposed to conquer a province in the future?

DeletedUser724

Early released in live server

Because : beta tester do not support it, Inno is now seeking support from live server to prove beta tester are making wrong comments

may be they want to Put an end in elvenar

accept it or leave

Thank you all for the massive amount of feedback we have been getting in the past days. Please know what, while we have not always responded immediately, we did read everything you wrote. We would like to begin this post by replying to some of your questions and concerns, and then give you an insight in our plans regarding the Battle Redesign as a whole, as well as address some further community feedback we have received over the past days.

So according to the pentagon Treants are supposed to be GOOD against light melee units. I currently only have Treant II, and what do I see? They have NO attack bonus against light melee, but they have a 30 % defense bonus against light melee. Is this what GOOD AGAINST is supposed to mean? Compared to what was before, this is a HUGE nerf.
That a unit is "good against" another unit means that they will not have negative bonuses against such units. In case of the Treant II this means that they have a -30% defence bonus (so: less damage taken) against Light Melee, while they have a +40% attack and -80% defence bonus against Heavy Ranged. Note: all bonuses that your units have are positive for you - there is no such thing as a "negative bonus". While the Treant II may be a good choice against Light Melee, it would be a better choice against Heavy Ranged units, due to the distribution of the bonuses.

Also, when you compare the values to those of the old Treants (which you really shouldn't, because the system is entirely different, but you're going to do it anyways), please do note that the Treant's size has halved as well.

Did the game devs ensure that battles would be achievable up to the number of provinces required to fill the grid (beyond expansions given in the tech tree, etc) at each chapter in the research tree? If not, what is the expectation for # of purchased expansions so that players stay within "winnable" fights in province exploration?
No, we base our balancing on the amount of provinces we expect a player to have around a certain time. The max size of the city grid is not really a factor in that in that sense. Of course, we expect any player to make progress on the world map on a continuous (but not: superspeed) scale, and therefore we also do expect that everyone will get a certain number of expansions from world map progress.

Why not just make provinces inaccessible after we've expanded as far as the devs think is "appropriate" for our level? and unveil them a ring at a time when they deem us "appropriately advanced" to go further?
That would make many of our balancing problems disappear all in one go. But, what would be your response if we would do that now? My personal guess: you would hate us for it and scream bloody murder. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: omg. I can't even win the first battle in the first province of the tournament!! I just lost all my troops. Is it because I have scouted "too" far and will face harder enemies than others from now on?
In the first level of a Tournament the enemy's squad size is always ~80% of your own. We balance our battles in a way that it is possible to beat an enemy army that is roughly twice your size (with a bit of luck in terms of obstacles and while manually fighting while making the absolute best decisions). When choosing the right units, beating an army with a squad size that's 80% of your own should be very much doable. You will lose troops, but that is always to be expected. Sorry, but the days of "sending only Granite Golems and Sorceresses and win everything without any losses ever" are over.

Since the squad size of the enemy troops in Tournament Provinces is directly related to your own on a relative scale, it does not matter how far you have progressed on the World Map at all while fighting Tournaments. To share:

0 stars: enemy size is ~80% of your own squad size
1 star: ~100%
2 stars: ~120%
3 stars: ~140%
4 stars: ~160%
5 stars: ~180%

Actual values can differ slightly due to rounding.

Can we have a confirmation that the huge nerf of the armories was premeditated or are they going to rebalance the amount of troops the armories allow to train to be in line with the increase of the squad size and bulwark rebalancing?
The Armories have also had their bonuses increased, they were not lowered. Also note that the production speed in the Barracks goes down very fast if you upgrade it. This will not make the amounts of units you can train per slot bigger, but it will empty the slots faster, of course. At the first few levels of the Barracks it may be slightly slower per unit (but then again: you will also need fewer units in the very early stages, because the squad size is lower than it was before), but after a few upgrades the training times go down very, very fast. To be able to train units nonstop (have production queued), you will now need to build more Armories in your city.

Furthermore, we received a lot of feedback, that we would like to address in general.
  • You told us that you are losing more troops now than you was before. In some cases it seems (or: is) impossible to win a fight at all.
In the old system, we had several units that would be almost a guaranteed win in any fight, in any encounter, at any distance. We hope that we can all agree that those units were wildly overpowered and that, in order to restore balance, some drastic changes had to be made to those units. We're talking for example about the level 3 versions of the Golems and Sorceresses for the Elven players among us and the Paladins and Priests for the Humans. These units made it possible to win fights against enemies that were over three times their strength, without ever losing a lot. This should never have been possible to begin with, but it was, and it therefore needed changing. The fact that this was possible, gave us many problems: not only when it came to balancing other (new) units against those super-strong units, but also in completely different areas. For example, we have players who struggle with Event Quests, because those quests ask to scout a certain number of provinces, which is simply impossible to do in time if you are that far ahead on the World Map, because scouting times were also way too high in comparison. We always try to keep the scouting times and costs reasonable (that is why we have the Advanced Scouts technologies), and if you are within the range of amount of provinces that we would expect you to be at, e.g. the scouting times should always be less than a day for the chapters that we have currently available in our research tree.

Another reason why it is possible to lose so many troops, is especially apparant for those who use auto-fighting a lot. Our AI is not perfectly adjusted to the new system yet (it's a work in progress and we're continuously finetuning it!), which affects the enemy troops, but also your own if you are using auto-battle. In general, this should not be a huge factor, but depending on e.g. the obstacles within an encounter, it can still be a significant difference. As said, this is still a work in progress and we are eager to make more changes there, but it is currently not yet perfect. On top of finetuning the AI, we have also started investigating how we can make the battlefield itself better: we do not want the obstacles to be a determining factor in battles: you should be focussing on fighting the enemy units, not on fighting the obstacles themselves.

• Armories, Ancient Wonders and Barracks are not being buffed enough to adjust to the new training speeds. It's therefore no longer possible to keep the Barracks running at all times without building more Armories, like before.
This is a correct observation. While we did not lower the bonuses of the Armories nor Ancient Wonders in general, it is indeed no longer possible to keep producing as long as was possible before without having to log in again. In general, we significantly increased the training speed of units, which in turn also lowers the total training time in the Barracks' queue, of course. We do believe that this is correct in terms of balance, though. For those players who like to fight their way through the World Map, fewer Manufactories are needed (because no goods are needed for negotiation). It would be unfair for those who predominantly trade, if they need more space in their cities for more Manufactories (and culture buildings to provide the necessary culture), while those who fight can use that space for other buildings. To make up for that imbalance, it would now be required to build one or more "extra" Armories.

Our suggestion: Every player should at least have one Armory, and two if you fight a bit more. If you are a heavy, hardcore fighter, we would recommend having at least three or four Armories in your city. Of course, we mean to have them at the maximum level possible, not at level one or something. If you fight a lot, we would also recommend to build one (or more) of the battle-related Ancient Wonders and upgrade those. Ancient Wonders are always an investment: at their lower levels they don't give super-high bonuses, but those can rise quickly once the buildings are upgraded to the highest levels.

• Because of the changes, fighting has become virtually impossible for those advanced far on the World Map, meaning that this feature is no longer a viable option for those players.
Just like the Orcs (required to negotiate at Provinces in the 11th ring and further), the difficulty of battle is a sign to players to not scout out too far too fast on the World Map. It should never have been possible to get as far as some of you may have gotten, but due to the overpowered units we talked about above, it had become a possibility. Due to this, we had to do something, and we did that now.

Of course it is not our intention to block players from fighting altogether. What we do want, is to have a way where people are excited to gain more Squad Size Upgrades (because they give you a great advantage in battle) and unit upgrades (or even new units) in the research tree. We have a lot of feedback from players who say that scouting times become too long and scouting is too expensive, that it takes ages to unlock new city expansions on the World Map, and who have problems completing quests surrounding those topics because it is all taking way too long. Many of those players are far beyond the point where we would "expect them to be", so to say. In general, we would expect you to be just a few provinces above the number of provinces needed to unlock the next chapter in the research tree (so: these chests should, for the average player, never be any problem at all).

For those who want to fight more than what we would expect on the World Map, we have come up with another solution: the Tournaments. In that feature, it is very well possible to do more fights, without progressing further on the World Map itself directly. This means you still have access to the beloved Battle feature, but without the downside of insanely high scouting costs and times (which in turn directly influence the squad size of enemy troops in the province). It should always be possible to win against units that are roughly your strength, given that you pick the right units for your fights. If you are progressing on the World Map at average speed, this will always be the case: the enemy troops will become stronger, but so will yours. If the enemy troops in provinces on the World Map are significantly stronger than your own, you might want to slow down a bit. On the other hand, if your troops are a lot stronger than those on the World Map, you should maybe finish some more Provinces, in order to be able to unlock the next chapter in the research tree.

We hope that this posts gives you some insights in our decisions. As always, we encourage you to share your feedback and ask the questions you have! We look forward to reading and answering them.

DeletedUser

muf muf, i don't expect to be able to keep the barracks working non stop, but right now I can't even get it working throught the night!
I have 4 armories, 3 of them at level 23, and the 4th upgrading to level 20 as we speak. I also have a bulwark at level 2, and the max training time I can get is 5h!! We went from a situation where we could keep the barracks busy for 20h, to 5h, so yes, that is a huge nerf! Its not like fighters don't need manus, how do you think we do our tech tree? Do you really expect us to have +6 armories just so we can sleep through the night??

DeletedUser

I have made the mistake of building and working on the needles wonder! did you take that into account? maybe i am building faster than you accounted for because of it, but players with that wonder should not be penalised by having it, should they?
It should be possible to have, lets say, 8h training, no? i don't think it is asking too much to have enough time to sleep without having to have half the city filled with armories.

Edit: training is not too fast because we are losing units like crazy. But the armories should be adjusted to give a bit more training units, it is too low now

SoggyShorts

muf muf, i don't expect to be able to keep the barracks working non stop, but right now I can't even get it working throught the night!

So... are you saying training troops is too fast now?

The question is can you still train the equivalent army in a 24h period?
Assume an "average" schedule
8h sleep, 8h school/work 8h active
madzix would now be able to produce for
5+5+8 = 18h a day instead of 24h a day
Is the newly increased training speed during those hours making up for that 25% drop?

CrazyWizard

Of course it is not our intention to block players from fighting altogether. What we do want, is to have a way where people are excited to gain more Squad Size Upgrades (because they give you a great advantage in battle) and unit upgrades (or even new units) in the research tree. We have a lot of feedback from players who say that scouting times become too long and scouting is too expensive, that it takes ages to unlock new city expansions on the World Map, and who have problems completing quests surrounding those topics because it is all taking way too long. Many of those players are far beyond the point where we would "expect them to be", so to say. In general, we would expect you to be just a few provinces above the number of provinces needed to unlock the next chapter in the research tree (so: these chests should, for the average player, never be any problem at all).
So people complain they only get 1 expansion slot a month so if we just remove that possibility they can no longer complain?
what kind of reasoning is this? thats how you deal with feedback?
What is seriously the problem of us getting ahead, is 1 expansion a month really that bad?
Isn't the possibility of progress why we are still playing? how much fun is a game in which you can no longer progress?

All players tell we can't win (ok part of that is adjustment to the new situation) but now we are no longer even allowed to win?
This whole we must stop players from advancing in the game is insane.
you just added 48 potential expansion on the map, how do you expect us to unlock those?
You arent really expecting that many(except for a very rare if any at all) of us are willing to fork out 20-30-40 maybe even 50 bucks for a single expansion right?

Why are you destroying the game?

Last edited:

DeletedUser

The question is can you still train the equivalent army in a 24h period?
Assume an "average" schedule
8h sleep, 8h school/work 8h active
madzix would now be able to produce for
5+5+8 = 18h a day instead of 24h a day
Is the newly increased training speed during those hours making up for that 25% drop?

It should also take into account that we are losing more than the double of units as before, so we do need to train them faster. tournament difficulty was increased a lot, not only in the numbers we face, but specially because now we have to face a bigger number of squads there just like in the world map.
And none of us had scouted at a superspeed, because i doubt anyone in their right mind has spent diamonds to complete the scouting faster. So if we are too far ahead it is not our fault, no one told us we should only sent the scout out once a week!
It seems that players are not spending enough money to buy premium expansions and runes, and that is why this change was implemented. If players can't do the map, they can't get expansions, they have to buy them. If players can't fight in the tournaments, they can't win runes, so they have to spend diamonds buying them if they want to be able to build/upgrade ancient wonders.
when even a mod says he hasn't been able to win fights as they enemies are way too strong, something is wrong. But i guess Goryn has scouted too far as well.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter, lots of players will quit the game, because it just feels like a money grab right now, and it is getting to be too much. i don't mind spending some money now and then when i feel the game deserves it, but it is starting to be way too much.
The game is not good enough, the only thing keeping me here was building up wonders and doing some tournaments, but I don't have time to spend 8h a day fighting manually in tournaments, and since auto is not an option anymore, i think I'll spend my time and money in FoE instead.

Deleted User - 60107

No, we're saying that the bonus from Armories is now too low.

Question: Did it ever occur to you guys that we are fighting not because we enjoy fighting, but because we need the expansions? Expansions we can NOT get from tournaments? You guys keep adding new buildings that we will need to keep permanently, such as the Magicless Acdemy (cannot be deleted), the new building where Cerberus will be trained in the future (no info available) and the Mercenary Camp (can be deleted for now), but do not add expansions for them in the tech tree. You also keep increasing the size of existing buildings (example: residences), as well as increasing the need for certain buildings (example: Armories). End result: We need more and more space, so we solve more provinces. And then you guys complain that we have advanced too far on the world map and penalize us with new limitations.

DeletedUser1548

@Muf-Muf thank you for your explanations. Too bad it's all so dissapointing.
I understand what OP is but from your message I see that balance is not the most important thing here. You just want to force players to play ONLY the way you want them too. In every aspect.
City builders are casual games for people who want to relax. I'm not relaxed when put into a cage which gets smaller and smaller with every new update...

CrazyWizard

could anyone with around 300 provincies scouted tell me what a 2.5-3 day scout time province will cost now to pay off?

I like to know if my massive production could hit a dent, or if I need to reajust and rebuild my town for an even more insane production.

thanks in advance

DeletedUser

NO! You messed up with armories. But that was your purpose.

Grace said:
Did the game devs ensure that battles would be achievable up to the number of provinces required to fill the grid (beyond expansions given in the tech tree, etc) at each chapter in the research tree? If not, what is the expectation for # of purchased expansions so that players stay within "winnable" fights in province exploration?
No, we base our balancing on the amount of provinces we expect a player to have around a certain time. The max size of the city grid is not really a factor in that in that sense. Of course, we expect any player to make progress on the world map on a continuous (but not: superspeed) scale, and therefore we also do expect that everyone will get a certain number of expansions from world map progress.

You told everything here. Is not about balancing but about €a$h. Maybe you should limit player that can't buy more than X diamonds... in certain time. Clearly you shouldn't sell 70€ package. No that won't happen. But you will bottleneck us in any opportunity you can.

Thanks for clearifying if you are one of advanced players you are actually you have disadvantage.

Fantasy city builder my arse.

DeletedUser651

The only way anyone ever "sped" up scouting was by paying you real money. So now they are punished?

I have never spent any diamonds to speed up scouting, and yet, I too now face the unwinnable fights. So now I am punished too. My scouts take 3 days 12 hours. How much flipping slower do you want that process to take? I am already 20 expansions BEHIND the orc level and yet, I am ON the orc level. Tell me, just how small a city do you EXPECT me to have at this point?

If you paid, you are punished, if you don't pay you are punished.

You folks sure like to punish people for not doing what you "expect". A word you used SEVEN times.

I will tell you what I know, I don't need to expect anything. I know you have broken fighting for all. I know you will lose a great many players on the US server as soon as you release this. I know you have broken this game.

Of course it is not our intention to block players from fighting altogether.

Oh well.

For those players who like to fight their way through the World Map, fewer Manufactories are needed (because no goods are needed for negotiation). It would be unfair for those who predominantly trade, if they need more space in their cities for more Manufactories (and culture buildings to provide the necessary culture), while those who fight can use that space for other buildings.

This is the same old lie. I am surprised you bring it up again. You put the orc requirement in so that no one CAN be predominantly a trader.

It was a lie that the new battle system was set in place because the old was confusing players.

It was a lie that the new battle system was set in place so more people would enjoy fighting.

It was a lie that the new battle system would be better for us.

It is true that you want to get rid of your most loyal players.

But, all you seem to want to do is fight with all of us. Ok. We will watch the carnage on the live servers.

I guess if we want a game, we can play "how many people will quit with this new change?" We can keep running tallies. I already have four players out of 25 that have promised to quit if this goes live in my fellowship. It will be fun! I mean, this game sure won't be any more.

hmmmm Is there a way to short Inno stock?

Last edited by a moderator: