• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Combat system

DeletedUser

I came to Elvenar from Forge fo Empires, so I tend to compare the two of them. Considering Elvenar is still in a very early stage, I have high hopes for it. And, of course, I'm enjoying a lot playing it =]

I love how you have a lot of things to do, mainly combat-wise. There's TONS of map encounters, so you can fight those while you wait for buildings, upgrades, or production cycles to finish.

That being said, my main concern is about battles being too easy and, above all, repetitive. Compared to FoE, map is tiny and there's very few units. Terrain is 'boring': there's obstacles, but no different terrain types. Artificial Intelligence seems weak, so it's fairly easy to abuse it by having enemy melee units just run into a certain death agains your ranged units. Also, there's only five types of units available to the player, so variety is compromised. I know in FoE there' only 5 types, but I think is fair hoping that Elvenar would want to improve that.

I love the squad system. My favourite tactical feature is that units now block each other, so it becomes harder to navigate the map, forcing the player to really think his moves. And without long ranged units, the old all-catapults scheme is not longer an option.

So I guess what I'm saying is I hope the combat sustem can be tweaked with new features ("new" compared to FoE system) that make combat even more interesting. I think it makes sense, since combat here in Elvenar seems to have a very big role, even without having yet any PvP/GvG stuff.

I read suggestions about dividing squads, select how and where to deploy your troops, or having the option to break obstacles. I was thinking on some others, like having both your units and your enemy's being randomly (to a degree) deployed in the combat field, being able to cast spells in combat, or randomizing terrain in map encounters and penalising in some way quitting the encounter (being able to take a peak to the battlefield, knowing it's always the same terrain, then quit, and then re-enter with 100% knowledge of what's in there seems an abusing and boring feature to me).

Wahtever it comes down to, I would love having an even more interesting combat system in Elvenar! :]

DeletedUser95

well said Juanmarte, combat system would bring more joy , as many players looking for pvp , that could be replace by some more action , quests or some island or magic tunnels just for fighting,
also notice when fighting defending army locating them self ether behind or on the side of enemy , those that means there is a chance of making more damage on those positions rather then on front ? or is it just a way to block movement ?

DeletedUser

I agree it's nice that you have to think out how to move your squads when doing battle, as a positive side-effect of the fact that the units block each other.

However, a huge disadvantage (which I've run in quite a few times now) is that my troops tend to start off behind barricades, with only one way out, and as the units block each other, this means that I can only move out the squads one by one, whereas often the enemy has quite a free range to move itself and can do quite a bit of damage before I get even close :(.
Sometimes I've even got to circle around completely, more or less advancing onto the enemy from the back, hehe.
Of course I use bowmen, but when they're stuck in the line or the barricades are too far from the enemy, then they're not much use either, at least not in the starting phase.

Would be nice if there were a few more gaps between the barricades :p.

DeletedUser58

The map seems vast, exploring and encounters so far seem to be taking most of my time in the game and if there are pvp/gvg battles on top of that then combat's definitely playing a major role in Elvenar. I guess we have to wait and see how the alliances system works and if there's going to be pvp. I'm also hoping that the current terrain is only for this beginning stage, that in the future we'll get more diverse terrain but also larger battle maps.

I like the idea of being able to cast spells into battles, that could add a whole new layer to the game (you would need to research the spells, maybe even a 'magic tower' sort of building present in your city to give you the ability to cast spells, and as a whole it provide additional strategy to the battles). I also agree that I would like to see different unit types. Maybe sort of as an upgrade to existing units latter on in the game and if the devs/designers have the time they could provide even a larger diversity there - you can be allowed to upgrade these basic units to one of two more advanced versions. For example an Archer could be upgraded into a Forrest Archer or a Night Archer, but you can only select one of these. You won't be able to own both upgraded versions.

Something else I thought of, maybe there could be potential upgrades to the weapons as well. For example arrows could be upgraded from basic wooden ones to flaming arrows or poison arrows (I'm using OR because I believe one should only be able to select one upgrade, or maybe you can do all upgrades but you can only choose one 'weapon type' for your units when going into battle), swords can be improved with stronger material and a fancier blade, etc. Some similar upgrades could be done for the armor types of the units. These upgrades can be few and would only provide minor bonuses but they should be good enough to provide more diversity and strategy. That can be taken a step further and for example 'flaming arrow' could do more damage to Ents and units with leather-ish armor, while 'poison arrows' wouldn't have an effect on Ents or similar non-flesh units, etc. I'll be honest that's getting a bit complicated the more thought you put into it, but even a simpler version sounds cool.

DeletedUser126

I already started a topic with similar ideas myself but +1 for any combat improvements on my part as right now combat got good visual and ui core but is lacking badly! Its not very interesting.