• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

World Map Climbing the Penrose Stairs

DeletedUser867

Category: Elvenar World Map and Neighborhood optimization.
I'm cross posting an idea that was originally posted in the production forum at
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/climbing-the-penrose-stairs.116/#post-975
because, speaking bluntly, the Beta Moderators seem to be far more organized,
and are therefore far more likely to get attention from the developers.
Relevance: This proposal addresses a critical issue, and suggests an approach that is uniquely suitable for Elvenar.
Feasibility: Not trivial, but it should be easier than most of the other approaches for optimizing neighborhoods and dealing with inactive players.

Synopsis: Starting with the highest #1 ranked player, and proceeding in a clockwise spiral, walk the cities in descending rank order. Sort each city on the rank spiral, 9 at a time with the current city at the center of a 3x3 array, such that the highest underlying score is placed in the highest of the 9 ranking slots, which would be #3 in the following example with the other cities ordered accordingly. The city with the lowest underlying score would end up with the lowest rank, which would be #35 in the following example.

Spiral.jpg
Spiral.jpg

Current System

While it's highly probable that there are already plans in place for optimizing cities on the world map, the details have not been shared with the Elvenar user community. The Group Merge approach that's used in FoE would be disasterous.

Details

Placing cities on the World Map, and then discovering them, is a fundamentally good idea but, given the importance of Polishing and Trading, inactive players will seriously detract from the player experience.

The proposed "spiral neighborhoods" approach would allow dedicated players to move directly uphill toward the top of the heap, while inactive players would slide downhill. The majority of the players would follow the spiral, and would approach the top of the heap at a slower pace.

As a programming convenience, note that the rank spiral locations can be hard coded. During the initial few passes there's no need to "chase" the current player with the highest underlying score. Simply start the spiral in the center of the map where the city with the highest underlying score SHOULD be ranked as #1, and after a few iterations Voila! that's exactly where they WILL be.

While the underlying score drives rank, and while there will be a very high correlation between rank and the underlying score, they are NOT the same thing. The rank of a city is LITERALLY its position on the World Map. Note that the northernmost rank in each ring is the perfect square of an odd number.

As folks moved along the spiral they would have convenient access to a different set of relics, and a few new neighbors, but by and large active players would remain near their current neighbors as the entire group proceeded along the spiral at a similar pace.

Inactive cities should be removed from the map. If the player returns they could "rent a room" in the city with the next highest score, and they would use that city as their base of operations until the next recalc, whereupon their own city would appear on the map.

Abuse Prevention

There will be all sorts of opportunities for players to use timing and the support of their local acquaintances to improve their ranking. But it's a matter of optimizing your efforts, with predictable results, rather than abuse.

The player who just got bumped into a lower ring might not see it that way, but the suggested approach is eminently fair.

Visual Aids

The intended result of the suggested World Map optimization will be that cities are smoothly distributed on the World Map, with the highest ranked cities near the center of the map. New players would start on any edge of the map, at the end of the current spiral most likely, and low activity players would drift toward the fringes of the map.

Bell%20Mountain.jpg
Bell Mountain.jpg

Looking at the world through HSL colored glasses is a closely related proposal for a Overview Map that's tightly integrated with both the World Map and the Rankings list.

Conclusion

Physically locating cities on the World Map will either be a wonderful idea, or a disaster, depending on the perceived fairness the neighborhood optimization algorithm. The suggested approach should be a straight-forward programming challenge as the algorithm is fairly local. From the players' point of view, they'll move toward higher ranked areas in a smooth, predictable way, and there's an excellent chance that their new acquaintances will move with them.

Penrose.jpg
Penrose.jpg

We DO NOT want Climbing the Penrose Stairs to be a frustrating experience for our Elvenar players.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No, I still don't see the first two images.
Not that it really matters. I think your idea is spot on.

DeletedUser43

Thanks for fixing the images! Now that they're visible, we can get back on-topic. :)

DeletedUser

Thank you for the pictures :)
Beautiful presentation of the idea, I like a lot, but that would be a bit hard to set up , now that the world has started. We change all neighbors ?

DeletedUser

It's a very important task to implement proper city movement, but I have to admit, I don't understand this idea, I don't know if it's a language issue, all I see is a spiral ordering on a quadratic field, how can this be applied to our hexagon-based worldmap?

DeletedUser867

The movement will be strictly local, only a few sectors per week, but the optimization will always shift you CLOSER to other players who are at a similar stage in the development of their city. It's probable that you and your like minded friends will move as a group, so the "movement" won't be as disruptive as you might suppose.

The reason for using a spiral, rather than a simple linear layout or a cartesian grid, is that
  • The dedicated players can climb sidewide, up into a ring that's closer to the top of the mountain.
  • Most players will spiral around and around the mountain, and therefore EVERY sector will be near their city, sooner or later.
  • The very casual players will be dropped sidewise, down into a ring that's further from the top of the mountain, and they will soon find themselves on the fringes of the map with other casual players, who are soloing for the most part.
You'll note that cities occur in every 3rd row, and the column offset allows us to treat cities as a hexagonal array, just like everything else on the map. You can simply ignore the in-between relic sectors or. conceptually, you may prefer to think of a "city" as the city itself plus the six immediately adjacent relic squares, and allow for some overlapping relic sectors.

DeletedUser

The goals and results you describe seem to be very similar to the ideas I posted in different threads, I just don't understand the mechanics of movement, e.g. how you guarantee, that every player keeps his special allocation of goods provinces on the world map.

DeletedUser867

The world map tessellates, so there ARE no special allocations. In fact there are only nine unique city/relic arrangements. Each time you move, you'll be in the midst of one of the nine similar groups of relics. Rinse and repeat.

9Bar.jpg

To your point, once you discovered a sector or a city, it would remain discovered. A major advantage of moving around the map a bit is that you WILL see a few new faces each week, and a few, nearby, unexplored new sectors. If you improved just a bit each week, you'd spiral round and round the mountain and, assuming that you made the entire journey from Serf to King, it's possible that you would have occupied every city location on the map. If you were patient enough, you could fight every battle on the cheap, on the way by.

DeletedUser

I know the system you call tesselation.

So if I understand you now, you propose while your city is moved you keep completed provinces in your old neighborhood and get new uncompleted provinces near your city in new neighborhood??

DeletedUser224

I think there will be some problems. Now the distance determines:
- the time of scouting
- the cost to scout the provinces
- the ranking points you get by solving each Encounter
- the difficulty by negotiating or fighting the encounters

DeletedUser867

If we had a world view super zoom, yes, you would see a ragged circular trapezoid of the sectors and cities that you had discovered during your journey, and they would remain discovered.

trapecio_circular.gif

All of the exploration dynamics will remain the same. Eager players will be more aggressive, and reach farther.
It's simply the classic Pay to Win tradeoff between a patient player and a hair-on-fire player.
or, more broadly, the difference between paying straight time or overtime.

What we've ADDED is a way for patient players to actually have a satisfying experience,
by shuffling the doorstops out of the active neighborhoods,
and we have not inhibited the more aggressive players in any way.

The important element is the strictly local movement toward (or away from) a well defined objective,
and clearing out the deadwood is quite possibly even more important than the progression of my own city.

If some of the game parameters need to be tuned because of more effective trading and cheaper relic battles, I'm OK with that.

DeletedUser224

Now the distance determines:
- the time of scouting
- the cost to scout the provinces
- the ranking points you get by solving each Encounter
- the difficulty by negotiating or fighting the encounters

I wanted to understand how you should change the system... because the distances would be reset every time you are moved on the world map

DeletedUser503

I think this is brilliant, and intelligently explained via text and graphics.
Shuffle me! I 'm ready!

DeletedUser651

If once you discovered a city it would stay discovered that would be imperative. But as long as you get to keep your discovered neighbors, great.

Here is what I don't understand....how would relics work? For example, I need plank relics but I am all out of places to discover them right now until I get through another province or two. With the shuffle would I suddenly be plopped in a new map and maybe have a ton of plank provinces open to me? Or conversely, could I get shuffled to a place where I wouldn't have the boosted relics near me and suddenly all my hard work to get closer to a province was for naught?

I mean, we are going to all get shuffled and some of us are going to land in a relic neighborhood that would help, be neutral or hurt, wouldn't that be so? You can't plop us down in exactly the same kind of neighborhood we have now.

Help me understand that part.

DeletedUser867

It should be pretty easy to predict which direction you'll be moving, based on your activity level,
and you'll want to AVOID exploring in that direction, because those sectors will be CHEAPER next week.

Scouting.jpg

But you'll want to explore as many of the sectors "behind you" as possible, because they'll be MORE EXPENSIVE next week.

Unless you guessed wrong, of course. :eek:

But even guessing wrong wouldn't be a major issue, because there are only nine different city + relic configurations
and you're not going to draw a bad hand every time.

DeletedUser

This sounds like a well thought out way to solve the neighbourhood problems that will eventually come. I'm not sure how it would be implemented but it would be nice

DeletedUser

I have to say, I still don't understand the principles of moving cities around, because there was no further explanation, but it seems to become clearer, that this proposal inflicts fundamental changes to all game features related to the worldmap and existing balancing, so it is very unlikely that it ever will be implemented.

DeletedUser867

In every other game that InnoGames has produced, there is SOME SORT of neighborhood optimization, if only to clear out the dead cities.

The question is NOT whether the city locations will be optimized, but rather HOW they will be optimized.

It's NOT a change, neighborhood optimization is surely coming just like Guilds, better visitation tools, etc, etc, etc are coming.

The real question is if we can do it well, or are we going to be stuck with the mysterious "You have new neighbors" of FoE, with no rhyme nor reason to it, and results that are extraordinarily problematic. It CAN been done well, as I have proposed.