• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

City [City] Turn off NH per building

Are you in favor of this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SoggyShorts

Summary:

Allow us to "turn off" neighborly help on a per building basis.

Motivation:

With all of the new event buildings it can be hard for visitors to know what to buff in your city.
Sure, things like changing your city name to "B/C/MH" can help a bit, but many are in a position where they need some culture, but not all.

For example: ideally I want visitors to buff
1. Builders
2. Snowy Charming Trees
3. Daunting Pumpkin
4. Mainhall

I could try to squeeze most of that into my nameplate, but really who's going to follow that other than my FS?
I also try to "hide" low yielding culture buildings as far from my MH as possible, but that doesn't always work either.

Description:

Add a checkbox when you click on a buildings details where you can toggle whether that building is able to receive neighborly help
2vrxsas.png

Unexpected bonus:
You get to use your nameplate again! If this idea is implemented the standard for visits will become
1. Builders hut if available
2. Culture if available
3. Mainhall if nothing else is available.

Absolutely everyone would have the same order of preference since they can turn off things they don't want.

Edit:
1. Mainhall cannot be turned off. This way there will always be something to help when visiting, except when it is upgrading which brings us to:
2. When you start a Mainhall upgrade all of your culture buildings reset to the default "on" position. (thanks @Heffernan for leading me to this)

Possible downsides:

Like any idea, programming time.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1681

Does this system have any building always on ?

Cultural building can only be polished so and so many times. When all have been polished then what ? Same with builders hut. I have never hit a limit when polishing the mainhall.
I myself have a neighbourhood of about 80 cities to visit, it's not at all unsual to visit a city that wants culture, but all culture buildings have been polished already. Builder ? already done - so I click the mainhall. But what if the owner has used your system and taken the mainhall off the list, then there's nothing to do.

In my neighbourhood I would say 1 quarter have not made a move since I joined last august, another quarter have not moved in a month or are newbies who have built just a couple of buildings and the disappeared - I'm getting money out of them anyways. But in this suggested system there's a possibility that the ratio of "duds" increase.

I'm doing my round cause I want the money :p and possibly some supplies on the side. Sure, I always like to check what the neighbour wants in return - but when I find a city that has a mainhall upgrade going on, nothing else to click and the owner hasn't been sighted for a while it makes me annoyed to say the least. I don't want a system where chance of occurances like that increase.

Did I misunderstand something ??

SoggyShorts

Did I misunderstand something ??
No, you didn't, but you pointed out a possible flaw which needs to be addressed like so:

1. Mainhall cannot be turned off. This way there will always be something to help when visiting, except when upgrading which brings us to
2. When you start a Mainhall upgrade all of your culture buildings reset to the default "on" position.

Unfortunately this means visitors may still hit your mainhall when you want something else, but it should still reduce how often that happens.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

I've just realized that there is an

Unexpected bonus:

You get to use your nameplate again! If this idea is implemented the standard for visits will become
1. Builders hut if available
2. Culture if available
3. Mainhall if nothing else is available.

Absolutely everyone would have the same order of preference since they can turn off things they don't want.

DeletedUser1777

I really like this idea.

I'm afraid, there is no chance to get this implemented. It would mean more informations has to be loaded for every city you visit - did you recognize, it already take ages to load a bigger city? This would make the problem even worse.

We have discussed serveral variations of improving NH and they all resulted into (forwarded idea) nothing :(

SoggyShorts

I'm afraid, there is no chance to get this implemented. It would mean more informations has to be loaded for every city you visit - did you recognize, it already take ages to load a bigger city? This would make the problem even worse.

Would it though? Doesn't the game already have to do the exact same check?
  • You visit a city
  • You click the NH icon (or press "E")
  • The game puts little bouncing hands on any building that has not already been buffed.
My idea would basically require the game to tell itself that the observatory is already buffed, and therefore can't be helped.
Shouldn't require a single moment of extra load time compared to the current system.

DeletedUser1817

Very good idea, especially after it has been improved taking into account possible issues: who knows better than yourself the buildings for which NH might be the most useful considering your city current development ;)?

@Fabbles
I do not think the additional data size is a real concern in that case: we are talking about one boolean variable (true/false value) per NH target building, which even though not optimized (one octet per boolean variable) seems completely negligible, in loading time terms, compared to the graphic data of these building (even if the loading process of these is highly optimized).

DeletedUser

I really like this idea.

Because of graphics... These few lines won't bring the Internet down.

DeletedUser1657

Nice idea, with many of the smaller event buildings taking NH it would be great to deactivate those as options. It can also work in with some of the other suggestions I have seen to improve NH.

DeletedUser1850

I'd also love to see this ability added to prevent the help choice on low culture buildings.. It would be a simple conditional added to the code where it already checks if the building is available but unfortunately, it will also add 1 more query for each building which would slow the loading somewhat.

SoggyShorts

it will also add 1 more query for each building which would slow the loading somewhat.
I'm not sure that this is true. Right now, when you visit someone the game has to check to see which buildings are already buffed, and therefore not clickable- setting a building to "off" should just trick the game into thinking it's already buffed.
This won't slow down loading city as you won't need to visit city anymore but just click on a button.
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/wm-new-way-to-motivate-help-neighbors.6347/

It was actually that amazing idea which inspired this. The "new way to motivate" idea only has 1 flaw, and that is if you set your request to culture, you will not get a MH buff until ALL of your culture is fully buffed.

This idea + that idea = damn near perfect.