• Dear forum reader,

To actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, you need a game account and to REGISTER HERE!

Cannot reproduce [22628] Chat: shows multiples of one chat message

Arayla

Game version: v1.55-(0c13ef387)-(master) (2018-05-17 15:08)
Game world: Beta1
Browser + version: Safari 11.1
Flash Player version: 29.0.0.171
Operating System: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Screen resolution: 2560 x 1600
Account name: Arayla
Humans or Elves: Elves

Reproducibility: 5/5 (1/5 = happened once; 2/5 = happens randomly; 3/5 = happens sometimes; 4/5 = happens often, but not always; 5/5 = happens always)

Current situation: After leaving the game open for a while (at least 45 minutes), the messages in chat start multiplying until I refresh the game. I usually have other tabs open and other Safari windows open. I use Command+~ to move between Safari windows. This may affect the appearance of multiple chat messages (but I haven't tested to see if the multiples happen when leaving the game open and doing nothing for an hour or two).

Expected situation: A single chat message should appear only once.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Open the game. Look at chat messages. After about an hour, notice that chat messages are appearing multiple times.
Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 9.51.38 AM.png

Arayla

I had it happen again in a much shorter time-frame.

Open game. Click on chat once to see any messages. Start a new tab in the same Safari window. Go to the Beta forum and click on a thread. Scroll down through a few posts. Go back to the game tab and check chat. Now there are two of every message in the chat window.

This may not be specific to Safari since a FS member wondered why chat showed her message twice, but it only showed up once when I first looked at chat.

DeletedUser2436

Same thing happened to me early this morning- when refreshing the window it disappeared. I browse on Opera's latest version and run Windows 7- I had no other tabs open.

Amy Steele

Forum/QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Thanks all - we'll continue to try to repro this one. I am using Win 10/Chrome too, and feared it might be OS X specific

Amy Steele

Forum/QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Hey folks! We are still unable to reproduce this issue. It seems likely that this was due to the switchover in chat servers somehow, as all reports are from around that time. If anyone still experiences it in the current version, please do let us know and we will look at it again :)

Amy Steele

Forum/QA Moderator
Elvenar Team
Thanks Arayla! We'll continue to try to reproduce this issue (but leave it here for now). Do you know of any reproduction steps other than these, which you posted above?
Open game. Click on chat once to see any messages. Start a new tab in the same Safari window. Go to the Beta forum and click on a thread. Scroll down through a few posts. Go back to the game tab and check chat. Now there are two of every

Also, does anyone using another browser than Safari still experience this issue?

Karvest

Seen here in Chrome, not sure about reproduction steps, just leave client running for few hours...

Arayla

Karvest is right - happens when the game is running for a few hours.

@AmySteele, I can also reproduce this reliably by opening the game on ZZ1, then opening a second tab and starting my game on a live server (US2 or US3). Then switch back and forth, collecting and starting productions in both worlds and chatting in both worlds. (Nooooo, I don't have ADHD ;))

Karvest

Just happened to me again.
And it definitely due to websocket reconnection. There was like 30s internet outage, so you can reproduce it by simply interrupting your internet connection for more then 10s (keepalive interval of WS connection).

Arayla

@Marindor or @AmySteele Can we reopen this one please? It has never stopped happening to my city here, and now it happens to me on live and to others in both of my live fellowships.

Karvest

Easy reproduction step is already here - just disconnect your internet for half a minute - and you'll see duplicates as soon as connection established again.
Should be fixed by changing request of whole chat history on reconnect to request of only new messages since last received one.

Avenahar

I have this Problem with IE11. It still occurs often every day. It seems it is not due to my activity as it occurs as well, when I do nothing.

Karvest

and again not fixed.
Problem is not with sending messages, but with receiving and showing same messages again after each WS connection reconnect.

Karvest

both, i think, but here is flash. Reproduction step is mentioned 2 times in this thread: just interrupt your internet connection for half a minute, then restore it. As soon as WS connection come back online - you'll see another one copy of all messages in chat.